Which do you recommend for homeschooling?

I

iMore Question

We homeschool. One daughter now in middle school & tying up my computer more, so need to get her own device to work on. Wondering people's opinions on which would work best for homeschooling: iPad Pro or Macbook Air?
Thanks for your thoughts.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
For school I recommend a MacBook over an iPad. I had both and found that there were some things that I just couldn't do on a tablet, like run web sites requiring Flash or use certain video conferencing services (I went to college online).

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
For school I recommend a MacBook over an iPad. I had both and found that there were some things that I just couldn't do on a tablet, like run web sites requiring Flash or use certain video conferencing services (I went to college online).

You had a Macbook in Middle School?

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
For this I would recommend the MacBook Air. iPads are very useful tools but there are some things that are simply easier to do on a computer. The tablet is likely to help her and be useful for much of her schoolwork so if the issue is simply that she is using the computer to much, that could help free your system up.

Reading into your post though, I'm assuming you have more than one child and it may be well worth it to have two computers in the house for when your younger children get older and also need computer time.

Chris James16

Mar 29, 2017
Visit site
For homeschooling I would recommend desktop as it will be more clear to learn and have education. Their will be parents who will guide their kids about learning process through desktop. For better and advance technique I will advice online homeschooling available at, The Ogburn online school with quality education for all students .

Mr Catan

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
My homeschooled boys each got a refurbished MacBook during middle school, and one used it through college at Lehigh for engineering. The other is at college now and it still going. iPad is great but you can't do a lot of things easily on it.

int32_t

Mar 29, 2017
Visit site
I'd find it a lot easier to keep track of the documents that result from assignments, experiments, and other everyday things on a Mac, so I'd take the MacBook Air any day, hands-down. That said, I did use an iPad for some of my schoolwork as well, but I had access to a Mac to back it up to and keep things organised.

(Seems not much has changed since 2015.) :eek: :tongue:

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
iPad Pro or Macbook Air?

Thanks for the question. If you have the time, don't forget to sign up to iMore. It's very quick, easy and also allows us to notify you when someone responds. So you get the quickest updates. It's FREE :D

I would have to agree with @Rob Phillips, I think the Macbook Air would definitely be a better choice. While the iPad Pro is awesome to own, there are just certain things you cant do on it since it runs a mobile operating system (IOS) vs a Desktop OS like macOS Sierra. :)

I also prefer the keyboard on the Macbook Air vs the Smart keyboard case you can buy for the iPad. Hope this helps you with your decision. If you need anything else, just comment below and we happy to help!

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
As a reminder, we here at iMore do not support, discuss or link any form of spy apps on mobile devices.

Thanks.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73