Question about macs and viruses

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
So I recently used my brothers Mac mini to download and reinstall my ps4s OS on a flash drive because I was switching out the old ps4s HDD with a bigger one. However, he informed me at one point that he was using a flash drive on his computer that had boot leg movie rips from his friend who I assume had a PC. I'm worried now that maybe those movie files had a virus that could be transmitted to the Mac mini and thereby being transferred to my flash drive and now my PS4.

First of all, can a Mac even get a virus through these means? Can my ps4 even be infected if there was? Would the virus need to be handmade to target Mac or ps4?

I know this may sound silly, but I'd love any thoughts or insight to put my mind at ease.

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site
There are virus that can affect mac, the thing is since mac is not as many as Windows PC out there, hackers have less interest in creating up today's viruses that can harm mac. And for a virus to actually infect a Mac, the user have at some point grand access to the virus into the system files, otherwise there is no chance for a virus to anonymously infect a Mac.
While viruses on PC are many and pretty much harmful, those viruses are design to operate in a Windows environment, which is a different environment from OSX environment thus causing PC viruses to lose their power once on Mac. This is to say that a virus design to infect Windows PC can not infect Mac. And a virus design to infect Mac can not infect Windows. The same is true for your ps4, unless the virus is design ps4 OS, a Windows or Mac virus can not infect the ps4 OS, unless (I'm not sure) your ps4 is running under Windows OS.
Hope that help to put your mind at ease.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Any computer-like device can get a virus, especially if the person submitting the virus has direct access to the device.