Question about macs and viruses
So I recently used my brothers Mac mini to download and reinstall my ps4s OS on a flash drive because I was switching out the old ps4s HDD with a bigger one. However, he informed me at one point that he was using a flash drive on his computer that had boot leg movie rips from his friend who I assume had a PC. I'm worried now that maybe those movie files had a virus that could be transmitted to the Mac mini and thereby being transferred to my flash drive and now my PS4.
First of all, can a Mac even get a virus through these means? Can my ps4 even be infected if there was? Would the virus need to be handmade to target Mac or ps4?
I know this may sound silly, but I'd love any thoughts or insight to put my mind at ease.
- 12-06-2015, 02:00 PM #2iMore Expert
- 799 Posts
Re: Question about macs and viruses
There are virus that can affect mac, the thing is since mac is not as many as Windows PC out there, hackers have less interest in creating up today's viruses that can harm mac. And for a virus to actually infect a Mac, the user have at some point grand access to the virus into the system files, otherwise there is no chance for a virus to anonymously infect a Mac.
While viruses on PC are many and pretty much harmful, those viruses are design to operate in a Windows environment, which is a different environment from OSX environment thus causing PC viruses to lose their power once on Mac. This is to say that a virus design to infect Windows PC can not infect Mac. And a virus design to infect Mac can not infect Windows. The same is true for your ps4, unless the virus is design ps4 OS, a Windows or Mac virus can not infect the ps4 OS, unless (I'm not sure) your ps4 is running under Windows OS.
Hope that help to put your mind at ease.
- 12-06-2015, 02:02 PM #3
- 12-06-2015, 08:12 PM #5
- By comiken205 in forum Ask a QuestionReplies: 7Last Post: 12-14-2015, 04:58 AM
- By iMore Question in forum Ask a QuestionReplies: 2Last Post: 12-06-2015, 12:29 PM
- By iMore Question in forum Ask a QuestionReplies: 1Last Post: 12-06-2015, 12:18 PM
- By iMore Question in forum General Apple News & DiscussionReplies: 1Last Post: 12-06-2015, 12:12 PM
- By iMore Question in forum General Apple News & DiscussionReplies: 0Last Post: 12-05-2015, 10:41 PM