Dropbox vs OneDrive?

ColoCham

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Dropbox vs OneDrive

I am currently using SugarSync as my cloud-based file syncing service. It's good and it's dependable, but it is not integrated very well with other services.

Dropbox (especially) and OneDrive seem to do better in that respect. And I've got an Office 365 subscription, so I've already paid for the OneDrive storage, even if I don't use it.

I'd be very happy to hear your experiences. I work from different locations, and having the files (mostly Office docs) sync up dependably is a must. I'm working from several Macs, an iPhone and an iPad.

I like the integration between Office 365 and Office Online, which lets me edit documents on the web. But I'm still a bit wary of Microsoft (Mac user since 1984, what can I say?).

What service would you recommend? Thanks for sharing your insights!

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Dropbox vs OneDrive

Welcome to iMore! I'm also a paid Office365 subscriber and utilize OneDrive because they give me 1TB of storage. I've been using OneDrive for about four years with no issues and iOS integration has gotten much better over time, especially with the rollout of Office for iOS. To me, the differences between OneDrive and Dropbox are minimal. Like you said, I'm paying for OneDrive whether I use it or not. You might as well take advantage of it!

dchandler

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
Re: Dropbox vs OneDrive

I never used OneDrive but I love Dropbox, I have heard good things about OneDrive and have had me wondering about giving it a try also.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

I never used OneDrive but I love Dropbox, I have heard good things about OneDrive and have had me wondering about giving it a try also.

Dropbox has better iOS integration (i.e. uploading files via the share sheet) IMO. I use OneDrive because it comes with my Office365 subscription and I get 1TB without paying anything extra. Otherwise, I would use Dropbox.

eseerc

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site

I've tried both. With these two options I prefer OneDrive, especially if you are an office 365 subscriber.

1. OneDrive integrates directly into Office for Mac, whereas Dropbox does not.
2. If you're already paying for Office 365, why shell out another $100 for storage? A $100 saved is a $100
3. I actually like the web interface of OneDrive more than Dropbox. I find Dropbox's handling of photos to be confusing (Carousel VS Dropbox... why two apps for the same storage?)

On the downside, I do think the upload/download speed of OneDrive is pretty terrible compared to DropBox. Also, the OneDrive OS X app seems a tad buggy to me (always "processing files")

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I use them both, but I also use them differently. I use Dropbox for document/receipt storage and OneDrive for photo storage only. Both work well.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Dropbox works well. I have it set to automatically upload all photos from camera roll, which then sync to my desktop (OSX) for easy saving, but mostly to do some work in Photoshop.