XFINITY Hotspot and wi-fi battery drain
I'll try to keep it simple.
A bar I go to now has an XFINITY wi-fi hotspot set up.
Scenario: you pick up your phone to use it's Safari browser and instantly, a very intrusive XFINITY screen pops up with two options: Join the XFINITY network or, chose some other network. There is no "go away and leave me alone" option.
Let's say I want to use my phone's data plan Fine, but at that point you can't get out of the XFINITY trap. So I close my phone and forget about it.
Now I'm screwed. By battery will forever after drain in less than a day. The only solution is to do a hard reset of your phone.
- 11-13-2015, 11:45 AM #2Q&A Jedi
- 3,372 Posts
Re: XFINITY Hotspot and wi-fi battery drain
I hear ya! Xfinity wifi is THE worst for this. It happens on Android and BlackBerry too! And Xfinity wifi will sometimes connect as the network when I want to use MY wifi network at home. (or at the parents, or the shore) At the parents and at the shore Xfinity is also the provider of the home network, but instead of your home network connecting first the Xfinity hotspot jumps in there and connects. I have a feeling that Xfinity/Comcast uses our equipment and/or the cable lines to transmit their "everywhere" hotspot. I have tried the "forget this network" option many times, but Xfinity always comes back. And actually sometimes I DO want to use it when I'm away from home (or those places) and they are the only option.
- 11-30-2015, 11:58 AM #3iMore Nanite
- 1 Posts
Re: XFINITY Hotspot and wi-fi battery drain, how can I fix it?
It happened again yesterday, even though the wi-fi on my phone was TURNED OFF. I was simply in the same room as the Xfinity wi-fi. Then my battery started draining like crazy.
I'm doing another reset right now.
- 11-30-2015, 02:15 PM #4
- By iMore Question in forum OS X El Capitan (10.11)Replies: 1Last Post: 11-25-2015, 06:20 PM
- By NSBG in forum iPad Pro (12.9-inch)Replies: 1Last Post: 11-17-2015, 08:27 PM
- By iMore Question in forum Ask a QuestionReplies: 2Last Post: 11-13-2015, 03:17 PM
- By iMore Question in forum Apple HardwareReplies: 2Last Post: 11-13-2015, 05:23 AM
- By iMore Question in forum General Apple News & DiscussionReplies: 1Last Post: 11-12-2015, 08:24 PM