One account, multiple devices: Will the settings on one affect the others?

nthnu

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
We have one Apple account. If we use that account on two iPhones and our iPod Touch, will settings on one affect the others and will contacts, calls/messages appear on others?

Last edited:

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: One account, multiple devices

Yes they will and suggest one person going to Manage Apple ID and create a separate one to prevent this from happening.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

A good deal of people share one Apple ID for purchases only, but have separate iCloud IDs for email, text messages, reminders, calendar events, FaceTime, etcetera. It provides a bit of privacy where it matters most, but also allow each other to use the apps without having to purchase them separately.

nthnu

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site

Ok, so I'd have the Apple account and everything setup on an iPhone, then my wife sets up an Apple account with hers, and child with their iPod Touch. Then using Family Sharing, I could setup mine and wife's Apple accts/iPhones to approve/disapprove requests from child. Right?

Also, email, text messages, reminders, calendar events, FaceTime, etcetera would be unique to each acct and everyone would have their own setup.

nthnu

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site

One more question. Can there be multiple Apple accounts using iCloud for Windows?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Ok, so I'd have the Apple account and everything setup on an iPhone, then my wife sets up an Apple account with hers, and child with their iPod Touch. Then using Family Sharing, I could setup mine and wife's Apple accts/iPhones to approve/disapprove requests from child. Right?

Also, email, text messages, reminders, calendar events, FaceTime, etcetera would be unique to each acct and everyone would have their own setup.

Use the same iTunes ID, but different iCloud, iMessage and Facetime ID's.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm confused now. How can that be done?

Go to iTunes and enter the same ID for all. Go to iCloud and log in with your own ID. Repeat for iMessage and Facetime. Easy.
My wife and I share an iTunes ID. ( It's my ID). I use the same for iCloud, iMessage and Facetime. She has her own iCloud, iMessage and Facetime ID's. It's that simple.
Everyone will need an email address and a password. Everyone can use your Apple ID for iTunes. That way you can all share downloads and purchases. You can use that ID for your iCloud, iMessage and Facetime. The others will need to use their own ID for iCloud, iMessage and Facetime.

nthnu

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
:eek: Soooo, to play this out...I'll use our iTunes ID (aka Apple account email), and then setup Messages, FaceTime, iCloud, etc, using that same account email on my iPhone. My wife will setup her iPhone using the same iTunes ID, and use another email to setup Messages, FaceTime, iCloud, etc. Our child will ditto what my wife did for her iPod Touch.

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Your wife will use her OWN Apple ID on her phone and will log into FaceTime, iCloud, etc with her OWN Apple ID. Then (if desired) use your Apple ID to log into iTunes.

Alternately, you can set up Family Sharing and add her to that, and then she would use her own Apple ID in iTunes as well, but would be able to access your purchases and you would be able to access hers. Same with your child.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
:eek: Soooo, to play this out...I'll use our iTunes ID (aka Apple account email), and then setup Messages, FaceTime, iCloud, etc, using that same account email on my iPhone. My wife will setup her iPhone using the same iTunes ID, and use another email to setup Messages, FaceTime, iCloud, etc. Our child will ditto what my wife did for her iPod Touch.

Exactly!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner