Your Choice: Microsoft vs Apple vs Google

W1ck3D86

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
They should Make the iPad pro with osx, that would be worth the price. This with an apple keyboard docking station, would be great.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
This is interesting. I followed this post on both WinCentral and here, and while the replies vary, what can anyone really say? It's both natural and fair that people on each site want to stick to the ecosystem they believe in, I seriously cannot see anything wrong with that. There's also the folks who use multiple platforms, also viable and awesome. I couldn't pass judgement on anyone for their choices, they have to do what works for them, but when you get into flamewars, out comes the p;ssing contest.

For the sake of throwing out two cents, I wouldn't mind an iPad Pro because of it's size and the use I would have for it for making music. There's so many apps I like and have fun with that just don't exist on the desktop. I personally am anti-Google so Android isn't my thing. I do admire the Surface for being a tablet form factor that runs desktop Windows. That makes it an entirely different beast than the others doesn't it? I don't believe it was designed to run 4k modded Skyrim and stuff like that, but to have such a slick form factor with a desktop? That's awesome. Like any of us here who like the tablet form factor wouldn't jump all over an iPad that ran full OS X? I sure as hell would.

To each their own. I just feel bad when flamewars get so intense it's supposed to be as if someone is an inferior human being because they love something someone else thinks is garbage for any x number of reasons. Stay happy folks.

Where's the flame war in here? I must be missing it completely...

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
We use the Surface Pro's when I go into the production offices and work with the other logistical people on some projects...and all we ever use is google drive and dropbox, lol. I always find it hilarious when people say one of the critical faults of the iOS devices is their lack of file management systems...it really makes it glaringly obvious who actually uses these things and who doesn't...because, at least from a creative environment, isolated file management within a device is a secondary option now since cloud service management allows for easy project sharing.

But what do we know? We only use these devices in our careers, lol! :tongue::beer:

True that. I have a USB thumb drive that I use only to move a few files between my 2007 iMac running Snow Leopard which I keep offline and pretty much in 2009 and my MBA running El Cap. When I'm going iPhone to MBA it's Dropbox. Same if I were to use a iPad Pro to MBA.
I would definitely go with the iPad Pro it would be ready for me right out the box. I've never checked out a Surface. I'm sure it's a good device I just wouldn't have use for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hendri Hendri

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
LOL!!! Ever hear of Dropbox?!?!

You know what we use at work? Starts with an i and ends with an e. We store in the cloud.

Nooooo problems....

Sent from my GORGEOUS, SEXY, AWESOME Rose Gold 128G iPhone 6s Plus

Be gladful to live in a place where internet is fully utilized :p imagine to share huge document files from iphone to PC or Mac or even android phone with a turtle speed internet connection LOL

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Ron-F

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
At this moment, none. I'm pretty satisfied with my current devices. As much as I am interested in the iPad Pro, I'll pass until Apple can implement a proper cursor control. I understand that, right now, I would have to lift my hands from the keyboard and touch the screen to move the cursor in, for example, this text I'm editing and this is certainly not good.

The Surfaces are interesting but Windows, and to a certain extant OSX, seems to be walking to obsolescence. Although there are some important applications that need them, most of their use is for running legacy apps.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Funny story. About 3 months ago I was looking to get a laptop to replace my aging desktop. I already had an iPad 4 and iPhone.

I was looking really hard at the Surface Pro 3's looking at both the laptop and mobility of a tablet aspect. Then I realized that for the price of an SP3 with the specs I wanted, I could buy a refurbished 15" MacBook Pro at the same price. I decided that screen size and horsepower won out and went with the MBP, a 12" screen is just too small to be my primary computer (secondary, maybe, if I had that kind of cash).

So, um, my answer is "neither, get a real laptop" :p

Illustrator Joe

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
No brainer, the Surface is a computer, the iPad Pro is a tablet wannabe computer

But that's the problem. The surface IS a computer. And it IS a tablet. The problem is it is a subpar computer for the price and a subpar tablet overall. Hopefully the ipad pro will be a very good tablet and not try to be both poorly.

Laura Knotek

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
My first choice would be the Pixel C, since I'd prefer the smaller size. My second choice would be the iPad Pro. If size of both devices was the same, it'd be a toss-up. Either iOS or Android would provide an excellent touch based experience without a keyboard or stylus.

I wouldn't get a Surface Pro 3, since Windows is not a good experience on a tablet using touch without using a keyboard. Windows is great as a desktop OS, but it is not touch friendly.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

Tre Lawrence

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
How about all three? Ha!

I think I could get by reasonably well with any of them, but if I had to pick one, probably the Surface.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Be gladful to live in a place where internet is fully utilized :p imagine to share huge document files from iphone to PC or Mac or even android phone with a turtle speed internet connection LOL

There are a lot of reasons why I'm thankful to live where I do. Strangely, internet is not the most important.

Hendri Hendri

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
There are a lot of reasons why I'm thankful to live where I do. Strangely, internet is not the most important.

Euw ... weĺl, I never said it's the most important though LOL

Geodude074

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
Dropbox can function in this regard and give iOS a legitimate file management system.

Dropbox is limited to 2.5 GB, unless you want to pony up additional cash for a subscription. Same case with Google Drive.

This weekend I dropped a solution file into my Dropbox, it had about 10,000 small files. Do you know how long it took Dropbox to sync all those files? Well over an hour. Imagine dropping that solution file into your Dropbox, then waiting a whole frikkin' hour before you can work on it on your iPad Pro.

Dropbox is definitely a poor man's version of a file management system. If you need a true productivity device, you aren't going to use Dropbox on iOS. You'd just use a different OS.

MisterMike808

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
iPad Pro bc im an Apple guy. Surface because i want a 2nd device running a complete OS, not a mobile OS. That being said Apple products are wayyy more sexier than all other products.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I actualy was really thinking of picking up a surface pro, however I always kinda wanted to have a MAC after using windows for so many years. so Im going to be eyeing a retina macbook pro in the future.

Leonel Funes

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
I think Windows Central, Android Central, and iMore could collaborate on a full review comparing iPad Pro, Surface, Windows Ultrabooks, Pixel C or similar Android tablets or Chromebooks

I definitely want to see some cross-interaction with these three (sorry Crackberry and Connectedly. Maybe Connectedly as well). But if people are going to be bashing each other instead of giving time-worthy opinions, then nevermind...

Leonel Funes

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
And seeing that this somehow turned into a battle of clouds somewhat, I'm sticking with OneDrive - 1.2TB free storage (I think it's 10-15GB free, but there are so many ways to bump that number up) and pricing is very reasonable. My main devices run some version of Windows and everything gets synced quickly and easily. I have 2 iPhones and a few Android products scattered around, they have OneDrive, and it works flawless as well.

I have Google Drive as well, but it just doesn't work for me on the same level. Never even tried Dropbox, no need to do so.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Dropbox is limited to 2.5 GB, unless you want to pony up additional cash for a subscription. Same case with Google Drive.

This weekend I dropped a solution file into my Dropbox, it had about 10,000 small files. Do you know how long it took Dropbox to sync all those files? Well over an hour. Imagine dropping that solution file into your Dropbox, then waiting a whole frikkin' hour before you can work on it on your iPad Pro.

Dropbox is definitely a poor man's version of a file management system. If you need a true productivity device, you aren't going to use Dropbox on iOS. You'd just use a different OS.

lol...a poor man's version of file management? What does that even mean?

I don't think you bothered to read my response, but I was pointing out how we use cloud based storage with the Surface Pro's we use in the production office. It has an OS that allows for file management, but we don't use it, because it's not as efficient or convenient at all.

And this is how it works with every production I'm on...when we start working out logistical stuff, and the cartography actually begins, everything is accessible via the various cloud services we have (including iCloud, since the iWork suite is really starting to becoming feature rich, and I personally like using pages myself, so I kind of force certain things through it since I'm the boss, lol)

Anyways, I know there are certain things you'd like to use to poke holes in the idea of replacing an on board file management system with cloud based options, but as a person who uses this system perfectly efficiently DAILY with very large productions companies, I can tell you from a very in depth experience, it works just fine...and if the iPad Pro has really focused on precision of the Apple Pencil, the iPad Pro will become a heavy hitter in the market for graphic designers and illustrators.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox