Another "Convince me to leave Android" thread - with questions!

etnpnys

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I've been somewhat of an Android power user for pretty much ever. Unlocked & rooted just about everything I've touched. I'm been a QA professional for about a decade, and I've grown dissilusioned with their products lately. I'm not exactly looking forward to the new line of Nexus devices. Constant MMS and battery issues coupled with strange stability issues has me looking to jump off the boat.

In preparation for a possible switch to iOS, I spent 2 years on my Nexus 5 with nothing but the stock Android to see if I could stand just "leaving the phone alone" long enough to not go crazy. (Because in my understanding, the level of customization just isn't there on iOS - that's how they can ensure that everything "just works".) At the same time, my wife got an iPad Mini and an iPhone 5s. I've become as accustomed as I can to most of the intricacies without completely personalizing her devices for myself.

So, without further adeu, on to the questions!! (Try to eliminate jailbreaking from the conversation)
  1. Privacy is a big draw, but I've kinda dug myself into a hole. I'm too entrenched in the Google ecosystem, and I'm going to continue to use Gmail, Google Maps, Google Drive, Google Music, Hangouts, Google Photos, and the Chrome browser. Is there any privacy benefit to coming over to iOS?
  2. Without jailbreaking, is there any way to have the Google apps be the default selection from Spotlight or a Siri command? ("Navigate to work" going to Google Maps and other random regular search queries that we all trust Google with more)
  3. Is there any way to get Google Now-like notifications and information? Like maybe in the notifications pull-down? (Weather, commute time, travel-time-to searched location)
  4. Android M has this new really cool feature where it backs up entire apps (saved data and all) to the cloud so that you can easily restore without losing any data. Does iOS have anything like that?
  5. What is everybody's favorite swipe-able keyboard? Swiftkey? I tried a few but they seemed horrible.
I'm sure I'll have more questions, and I'll chime in with them somewhere in this thread. I really would appreciate any and all information/opinions on these questions!

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi and welcome to iMore.

Normally I would say that if you re happy with Android, stay with what you are happy with. in this case though you have stated that you have become disillusioned with Android and are considering a switch.

1) Well, I use most of the apps you mention in point 1) above and have had no privacy issues that I am aware of. I consider that the iPhone is just as, if not more, secure than Android.

2) AFAIK, no. You would need to jailbreak to make Siri open other non-Apple apps by default.

3) Yes, it can provide weather and commute time. I'm not sure whether it can provide time to a searchable location though but I coud be wrong on that as i've never used the feature.

4) I believe a backup can be configured to save data as well as apps. i've not lost data when upgrading or downgrading. You can back up the entire phone and restore from that backup if things go awry, and you won't lose a thing.

5) I use Swiftkey. I loved it on my HTC One and the iOS version has almost exactly the same functionality. The 'Swype-style' text input works well for me.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Since Highrisedrifter answered your questions, I'll just comment in regard to being able to use the iPhone without the need to customize. I've had more phones than I care to count right now since 1989. Prior to coming over to the iPhone 4S back in 2011, I was an Android user. Like you, I rooted my devices with EVERY custom ROM that was available during that time. I was never satisfied for more than a few days. It really wore on me after a while. Then I decided to go back to the iPhone. I had used an iPhone 3G a few years earlier. Beforehand, I promised myself that I would not jailbreak and risk falling in the same situation I found myself in with rooting my Android devices. I can honestly tell you that it was the best decision I made. I am so at peace with the iPhone and iOS, and there are numerous others who feel the same way. Maybe you will, too...:)

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Another "Convince me to leave Android" thread - with questions!

Honestly, I just try everything. It's fun, enlightening, and furthers my experience in the technological world.

Even if devices don't do exactly what your previous one did, that doesn't mean there isn't another way about it.

Just follow your heart, gut, or whatever other senses you might have and get what you want.

=)

Sent from my iPhone 5c using Tapatalk.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore! I really enjoy my iPhone. I'm on it non stop, day after day. It's just so dependable. Try it for a couple years and see!

etnpnys

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Thanx, everybody! Excellent feedback all around!

Normally I would say that if you re happy with Android, stay with what you are happy with.
Believe me, I have other Android devices also... lol I'm not "leaving," per se...

Since Highrisedrifter answered your questions, I'll just comment in regard to being able to use the iPhone without the need to customize. I've had more phones than I care to count right now since 1989. Prior to coming over to the iPhone 4S back in 2011, I was an Android user. Like you, I rooted my devices with EVERY custom ROM that was available during that time. I was never satisfied for more than a few days.
This is exactly how I was! That's why I spent my last few years with the Nexus 5 being totally stock!

Welcome to iMore! I really enjoy my iPhone. I'm on it non stop, day after day. It's just so dependable. Try it for a couple years and see!
As of right now, that's the plan.

Thank you all so much for your feedback.

etnpnys

May 7, 2013
Visit site
So... I have the 6s now. Pretty nice stuff. Actually, two friends and I made the switch on launch day together, and we're all having trouble understanding exactly how to get Google Now notifications... we all have the "Google" app installed and it looks like all of our location & notification settings are correct... but nothing has shown up from Google in the notifications pull down yet...

Thoughts?

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
1. If you use Google services you are giving Google your information. So there is no way to escape it.

2. There is not. However many third party apps will give you the option when you click on an address to open in Maps or Google Maps.

3. You can download the Google search app and have Google Now on your iPhone. All you do is launch the app and it's the same thing. You also get all the notifications.

4. Yes, you can create a backup of your entire iPhone; EVERYTHING. If something goes wrong or you get a new iPhone all you do is restore from your backup and it's like you have your old iPhone back.

5. You can download third party keyboards like Swiftkey. IMO Swiftkey is the best software keyboard out there. But third party keyboards on iOS don't work so great IMO so I stick with the stock one. I wish Apple would buy Swiftkey.

etnpnys

May 7, 2013
Visit site
3. You can download the Google search app and have Google Now on your iPhone. All you do is launch the app and it's the same thing. You also get all the notifications.
Yeah... I'm not getting any notifications... :(
5. You can download third party keyboards like Swiftkey. IMO Swiftkey is the best software keyboard out there. But third party keyboards on iOS don't work so great IMO so I stick with the stock one. I wish Apple would buy Swiftkey.
I tried SwiftKey first, and it's just not as good as it was on Android just yet. Maybe I'll try it again now that I've found out the following key piece of information this morning: it's very important to set {whichever keyboard} to the default in Settings.

I have been using Swype and it's been awesome - I just have to keep in mind that the stock keyboard will still poke it's head out every now and then, like when you need to type in passwords... I kinda appreciate that Apple doesn't want to make it easy for shady developers to keylog.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Yeah... I'm not getting any notifications... :(

I tried SwiftKey first, and it's just not as good as it was on Android just yet. Maybe I'll try it again now that I've found out the following key piece of information this morning: it's very important to set {whichever keyboard} to the default in Settings.

I have been using Swype and it's been awesome - I just have to keep in mind that the stock keyboard will still poke it's head out every now and then, like when you need to type in passwords... I kinda appreciate that Apple doesn't want to make it easy for shady developers to keylog.

Check notification settings. Google Now sent me a notification this morning that there was traffic back up on my route to work.

etnpnys

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I got one this morning! So I guess I'm just boring now and Google doesn't want to tell me a lot. That's fine, at least I know it's working...

Miska Hietala

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I used to use GNow on my beloved sgs2 and if I recall it it used some time before suggesting cards for you. The more you used it, more frequently it gave you cards.
When I made the switch to Apple, I also found that "peace" that was mentioned earlier.

Ok I admit I assigned to the beta program, but only because with that I get the feeling that I can contribute to make the OS better.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711