Possibly silly about chargers-can I use my Android chargers on my iPhone?

pantlesspenguin

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Possibly silly about chargers

I'm coming to iPhone from Android. I have a bazillion Android chargers. I'm wondering if I'd be able to keep the charger part, order a slew of lightning to usb cables, and use those in the chargers that I have laying around.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site

I've used them myself. Haven't encountered any issues thus far. Charges at same speed too. I'd test out the ones you've got, see if you can notice any difference in the charging speed or if you get warnings. I use the base from a Note 2 and Note 3 charger with no discrepancies between them. So long as you use an authentic Apple cable, my opinion is that you'll be fine.

Sent from my iPad Mini 3 using Tapatalk. 🖖

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: Possibly silly about chargers

Will they work? Yes... should you use them? That's a judgement call... I personally do not use anything other than OEM or "made for i" certified accessories as a choice.

pantlesspenguin

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site

I've used them myself. Haven't encountered any issues thus far. Charges at same speed too. I'd test out the ones you've got, see if you can notice any difference in the charging speed or if you get warnings. I use the base from a Note 2 and Note 3 charger with no discrepancies between them. So long as you use an authentic Apple cable, my opinion is that you'll be fine.

Sent from my iPad Mini 3 using Tapatalk. ��

Hmm...the cables I was looking at are from Anker. I'd be using the base from my G4 and one that I can't even remember which phone it's from since I've had it awhile (maybe the M8?), and my car charger has a BlackBerry base (purchased when I got my Z10). I haven't bought the Anker ones yet, think I should seek out the authentic Apple cables?

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site

Hmm...the cables I was looking at are from Anker. I'd be using the base from my G4 and one that I can't even remember which phone it's from since I've had it awhile (maybe the M8?), and my car charger has a BlackBerry base (purchased when I got my Z10). I haven't bought the Anker ones yet, think I should seek out the authentic Apple cables?

I've had no luck with any third party cables to be honest. They always set off that warning that it's not compatible and could cause damage. The base, I've tried many with zero trouble but I think going authentic with the cables is a much better idea than third party.

Sent from my iPad Mini 3 using Tapatalk. 🖖

pantlesspenguin

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site

I've had no luck with any third party cables to be honest. They always set off that warning that it's not compatible and could cause damage. The base, I've tried many with zero trouble but I think going authentic with the cables is a much better idea than third party.

Sent from my iPad Mini 3 using Tapatalk. ��

Awesome thanks. The official cables are quite a bit more expensive than the Anker ones, but if it means not damaging my battery I guess it's worth it! Glad I asked before I ordered them!

Branta

Retired Network Moderator
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site

Provided it has a standard 5 volt regulated output you are unlikely to damage the phone in any way. If the phone detects a third party supply it might not charge at the full output (label rating) of the supply, or it might not charge at all and you get a sharp reminder on screen about third party accessories, but it will not do any harm. If it is not rejected the phone will just regulate the charging current to whatever it needs.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Awesome thanks. The official cables are quite a bit more expensive than the Anker ones, but if it means not damaging my battery I guess it's worth it! Glad I asked before I ordered them!

The cables should be fine if they are MFi certified lightning cables. My Wife uses an off brand and I use a 10' MFi certified lightning cable by Monoprice. No issues.
But we only use Apple chargers.

pantlesspenguin

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site

The cables should be fine if they are MFi certified lightning cables. My Wife uses an off brand and I use a 10' MFi certified lightning cable by Monoprice. No issues.
But we only use Apple chargers.

These are the ones I was looking at: Amazon.com: [Apple MFi Certified] [2-Pack] Anker 3ft / 0.9m Premium Lightning to USB Cable with Ultra Compact Connector Head for iPhone, iPod and iPad (White and Black): Cell Phones & Accessories

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Charging them with those adapters is fine...it doesn't really matter if the voltages are different because none of them, even for the largest tablet, would present enough voltage to do any legitimate damage. About the worst thing you'd look at is the possibility of the "THEORY" that quick charging these devices degrades the battery over time. I say "theory" because honestly, what I've read in this regard sounds like a bunch of mumbo jumbo...and I use an iPad charging wall adapter on my night stand every night to charge my iPhone and I've never had an issue with any of them since I've started using it years and years ago (it's a 12W charging adapter btw)...

Here's the compatibility chart FYI...(I highly doubt any of your android phone adapters are higher wattage than this one):

Screen Shot 2015-09-22 at 10.49.17 PM.png

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site

I'm coming to iPhone from Android. I have a bazillion Android chargers. I'm wondering if I'd be able to keep the charger part, order a slew of lightning to usb cables, and use those in the chargers that I have laying around.

Yes it's fine. The electricity coming out of your Android chargers is exactly the same as the electricity coming out of the Apple chargers. The device will only draw the amount of power it actually needs; hence why you can use the iPad chargers with an iPhone with no problem.

What you want to be sure you have is a certified lightning cable. A cheap knockoff could damage your iPhone. There are a number of companies that make certified cables that work just fine and are considerably cheaper than an OEM cable. I personally have a bunch of Amazon branded certified lightning cables and have never had a problem with them.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR