Why apple iphone uses it's own player when playing any HTML5 video ?

Sandip Das2

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
I am making a web based video marketing tool i.e. content showing over video , it's working on all android devices well, but when trying oh iphone device that playing web video on it's own player and our video content not showing over video . It will be great to know why that happening

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't know. Why don't you take a moment and send feedback to Apple and see what kind of response/advice you receive?

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I am making a web based video marketing tool i.e. content showing over video , it's working on all android devices well, but when trying oh iphone device that playing web video on it's own player and our video content not showing over video . It will be great to know why that happening

I have seen web pages where the video does not pop out full screen. I would google what the properties are that make it behave one way or the other. It is a safe assumption that without some direction from your page to keep it where it is, it is using a default state by playing it full screen. A little googling should reveal the answer easy enough.

Cheers.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Guys, he asked about Web video. I am assuming from that he means in a web page.

A native app can play video any size. I think it's safe to assume that's not what the question is about.

It's less obvious for a website that will make it play full screen by default.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Here is the answer:

HTML

<video id="player" width="480" height="320" webkit-playsinline>

Obj-C

webview.allowsInlineMediaPlayback = YES;

FYI: Stack Overflow is one of the best places to get answers to dev questions - web or native.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Guys, he asked about Web video. I am assuming from that he means in a web page.

A native app can play video any size. I think it's safe to assume that's not what the question is about.

It's less obvious for a website that will make it play full screen by default.

If you clicked the link I provided and scrolled down to UIView...webview was part of the sub-menu explanation. The link I provided was an overall approach to framework settings...given he's a developer, I figured it would be easy for him to scroll to the section relevant to his issue.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
If you clicked the link I provided and scrolled down to UIView...webview was part of the sub-menu explanation. The link I provided was an overall approach to framework settings...given he's a developer, I figured it would be easy for him to scroll to the section relevant to his issue.

Yeah. I was figuring 'web' dev. Based on the question I am thinking he scripts HTML/JS etc.

FWIW: For apps, I find AVFoundation a great approach as you have good control over audio tracks and video clips.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I am having a same issue. Please let me know when it resolved. Thanks in advance

Are you saying you are also making a web product that you want the videos to show in a certain way, not full screen etc? For that the answer is above.

Or are you browsing the web and prefer the videos not show full screen? This is controlled by the web site using the tags above. If they don't specify, it will default to full screen.

In theory you could contact your favorite websites and state your preference. Or contact Apple and voice your opinion for the default behavior.

In practice though I would bet most users like the full screen videos. They are easier to watch. So I would think websites and Apple will stay this way.

Perhaps try some other browsers. They may have different behavior or more customization.

Cheers.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR