Setting Text tones on iPhone
The family shares a common contact list and we each have an iPhone. We want different text and in tones for the same contact but found that when one of us changes it the tone is changed on the other phones. How do we handle this where each of us can have a different ring or text tone for the same contact?
- 08-10-2015, 02:05 PM #2
- 08-10-2015, 04:55 PM #3Banned
- 6,101 Posts
Re: Setting Text tones on iPhone
However, as the OP points out, there are many downsides.
- The issue with ringtones and text tones is one.
- You also cannot use the geo-fencing for reminders, etc. The reason for this is the setting in the same Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars ... My Info. You can only have ONE value there in the contacts. So when person 1 sets it to themself, it gets changed to them for everyone. Then when person 2 sets a geo-fence-based reminder, it doesn't "fire" until person 1 gets to the location (because iOS thinks that person 1 is you).
- It also causes issues with "Recents" and "Favorites" in iOS 7 and 8. (Not sure how iOS 9 is/is not affected, as my wife and I have separated our contacts - though iOS 9 has a different presentation of the whole "Recents" and "Favorites" on the app switcher/Search screen.)
Having a common contact list was incredibly useful for us as a family. Clearly, at least in our opinion, this is one of the shortcomings of the way Apple has implemented this. I have spent countless hours talking with Apple support, case managers and even engineers about why it should be different, but so far, no changes have come.
Last edited by HankAZ; 08-10-2015 at 06:59 PM.
- By iMore Question in forum Ask a QuestionReplies: 4Last Post: 08-10-2015, 06:10 PM
- By iMore Question in forum Ask a QuestionReplies: 2Last Post: 08-10-2015, 05:25 PM
- By iMore.com in forum iMore.com News DiscussionReplies: 0Last Post: 08-10-2015, 12:30 PM
- By Phone pie in forum Ask a QuestionReplies: 1Last Post: 08-10-2015, 12:24 PM
- By iMore Question in forum General Apple News & DiscussionReplies: 1Last Post: 08-10-2015, 12:11 PM