What does the letter I mean?

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: what does the letter i means

Never thought about it, but I would like to know what the "i" stands for as well.

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site
what does the letter i means

According to load of blogs on Internet the i in iPhone stands for some thing personal, like it gives you a Sense that you own it or it make's the iPad, iPod, iMac, etc stand out in the market, How many people do you hear say "I will call them on my iPhone" instead of saying "I will call them on my phone" a way to indirectly say "I will call them on the phone "i" own" .
Isn't that one brilliant name innovation from Steve? I wouldn't have come to think of naming my phone brand just as simple as iPhone, I would have look for a name very complicated like Nebulus phone or Galaxy phone... Really that's a name so far away from earth with no sense of humanity but cosmos, something we are billions of zillions of years away to even begin to understand. Yet Steve was just very close to us through out all his products but also through the names he gives to his products

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

According to load of blogs on Internet the i in iPhone stands for some thing personal, like it gives you a Sense that you own it or it make's the iPad, iPod, iMac, etc stand out in the market, How many people do you hear say "I will call them on my iPhone" instead of saying "I will call them on my phone" a way to indirectly say "I will call them on the phone "i" own" .
Isn't that one brilliant name innovation from Steve? I wouldn't have come to think of naming my phone brand just as simple as iPhone, I would have look for a name very complicated like Nebulus phone or Galaxy phone... Really that's a name so far away from earth with no sense of humanity but cosmos, something we are billions of zillions of years away to even begin to understand. Yet Steve was just very close to us through out all his products but also through the names he gives to his products

Makes sense....Kinda KOOL

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

They've moved away from using the "i" since the Apple TV was released. No more "i". It's Pay, Watch, Music and etc.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

They've moved away from using the "i" since the Apple TV was released. No more "i". It's Pay, Watch, Music and etc.

I noticed that as well, but it's still "iPhone". I hope it doesn't become "ApplePhone"...LOL

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site

Unless I'm mistakes I believe it stands for interactive. As in interactive phone, interactive pad, interactive pod, relating the touching of the touching.

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site

And I'm just realizing that Steve put customers on first line, I'm not sure who innovate appleTV but certainly not Steve. Way to say indirectly that these types of products and the technologies the hold belongs not to Samsung, or Motorola or you, but only and only to Apple.

Nicholas1986

Jul 25, 2015
Visit site

Wow, it seems a little interesting. When Steve Jobs was alive, wasn't there anyone ask him about this question? Personally I think that Apple use this letter I to make a sense of innovation, iPhone, iMac, iPad, iPod, iTunes, they're a series of Apple's products.

omakad

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site

This was explained I detail in Johnny Ives book I read recently. Basically back in the day when first iMac came out, Steve wanted to call it MacMan. However, his marketing team didn't see it as catchy enough name and they came up with iMac. It's stands for Internet Mackintosh. The "I" was a huge success with consumers and apple continued using it for years. Now that internet is everywhere and Apple is getting into other things like TV, Cars, wearables etc. "i" doesn't make sense any more and they use  instead.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2