Phil Schiller is full of it!

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
He's not doing his job all that well if this thread exists, though. I've never met anybody who's happy with 16GB after a long period of time except the most basic of users. I mean most people have to use these phones for a full two-years. And that's an extremely long time to be so cramped. 32GB should be the base model. Or they need to add in an SD-card slot.

I bought the 4S over the 5/5C strictly because of the 64GB capacity.

Curious where you're getting your numbers to imply "most" people use their smart phones for the full term of their subsidized contract...if you have a source, please share.

Plenty of people are perfectly fine with the 16GB model. We have posts every year where tons of them come out and defend the idea of using the smallest capacity variant combined with cloud services...and while I couldn't personally do that, they are surely out there in a vast numbers.

Also, no one in this thread is saying a 32GB version at the same pricing point as the 16GB version would be a bad idea...100% of the people who use the 16GB version would welcome such a thing. Where the logic has to come in is on the business end...why would Apple spend more on the device at the low end of the spectrum when the cheaper version is still selling MORE than well?

tapehead

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
Curious where you're getting your numbers to imply "most" people use their smart phones for the full term of their subsidized contract...if you have a source, please share.

Plenty of people are perfectly fine with the 16GB model. We have posts every year where tons of them come out and defend the idea of using the smallest capacity variant combined with cloud services...and while I couldn't personally do that, they are surely out there in a vast numbers.

I just said that I got that from my own experiences and social circle. Most people I know don't switch phone unless they have an upgrade. At least in my American social circle.

But to be fair, the iPod Nano (/Mini) doesn't come in 1GB, 2GB, 4GB, 6GB, or 8GB anymore. Base storage increases over time. 16GB is the new 8GB as far as I'm concerned. Personally, I think all phones that don't come with SD card should have a minimum of 32GB so that you don't really have to worry about it.

Edit: Sorry, missed your last question. The answer is keep up with Joneses.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm willing to bet there are far more people who buy the cheapest iPhone they can get because they just want an iPhone.

But regardless, there are still many, many people out there who pay the extra $100 because 16GB is just not enough even though 64GB is much more than they'll ever need, and would never have given Apple that extra $100 if 32GB was the base model.

I'm sure there are, but the lineup was 16, 32 and 64. Now it's 16, 64 and 128. If it was just 16 and 64 then yeah, a convincing argument could be made in regard to Apple shafting people for primarily monetary gain however, by including a 128 GB model, while offering the 16 GB model for the same price as before, and giving customers the 64 GB model for the price of the previous 32 GB model is advantageous to the consumer. Some who previously bought the 64 GB model upgraded to 128. Those who previously bought the 32 GB model benefitted big time by getting the 64 GB model at the same price. Everybody wins, in my opinion. What if Apple re-inserts the 32 GB model this fall and then charge $50 more than the 16 GB model, how many people do you think would purchase it in comparison to getting the 16 & 64 GB models?

Last edited:

SmartFah

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I was upset a few years back after I got an 8gb iPhone 4. I was on a budget and couldn't afford to spend more, so I got it. Also it was my first iPhone, and I was just hyped to finally have one.

About 4-5 months into having it, I was at a wedding, and when I went to take a pic of my friend walking down the aisle, I got the dang message about the memory being full. I erased a bunch of pics real quick to free up some space, but by the time I was ready, I missed the moment I was trying to capture.

Needless to say, I was very upset, and decided I will always get the top capacity model from then on. A couple months later, I bought a 64gb iPhone 5 off contract. When the 6+ came out, I used my upgrade and and got the 128gb model.

I don't ever want to have to worry about space again, so I'm willing to shell out the extra money for it.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
It's not just that upgrading from 16GB to 32GB would cost Apple much money per device. The biggest issue for Apple would be that people who need a little more than 16GB wouldn't pay an extra $100 for 64GB if they had 32GB. I know I'm looking to get at least the 64GB with my next iPhone because I'm sick of managing my storage on my 16GB iPhone, but I wouldn't even consider it if the base model had 32GB, and that's an extra $100 in revenue Apple would lose just from me.

I would totally love to see the base model for iPhones and iPads be 32GB, but I completely understand why Apple doesn't. 16GB is still enough for a lot of people.

Exactly! Apple wants more to up to the 64 gb. It's more $ for them. But still most get by with 16. I want a little more than 16. The 32 would probably work for me as long as I didn't overload with music. But I'll make do with 64 gb. :D

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I was upset a few years back after I got an 8gb iPhone 4. I was on a budget and couldn't afford to spend more, so I got it. Also it was my first iPhone, and I was just hyped to finally have one.

About 4-5 months into having it, I was at a wedding, and when I went to take a pic of my friend walking down the aisle, I got the dang message about the memory being full. I erased a bunch of pics real quick to free up some space, but by the time I was ready, I missed the moment I was trying to capture.

Needless to say, I was very upset, and decided I will always get the top capacity model from then on. A couple months later, I bought a 64gb iPhone 5 off contract. When the 6+ came out, I used my upgrade and and got the 128gb model.

I don't ever want to have to worry about space again, so I'm willing to shell out the extra money for it.

That's how I started with iPhone.

Channan

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure there are, but the lineup was 16, 32 and 64. Now it's 16, 64 and 128. If it was just 16 and 64 then yeah, a convincing argument could be made in regard to Apple shafting people for primarily monetary gain however, by including a 128 GB model, while offering the 16 GB model for the same price as before, and giving customers the 64 GB model for the price of the previous 32 GB model is advantageous to the consumer. Some who previously bought the 64 GB model upgraded to 128. Those who previously bought the 32 GB model benefitted big time by getting the 64 GB model at the same price. Everybody wins, in my opinion. What if Apple re-inserts the 32 GB model this fall and then charge $50 more than the 16 GB model, how many people do you think would purchase it in comparison to getting the 16 & 64 GB models?

I could easily see Apple doing that. As long as 16GB works for some people, I can't imagine Apple would risk losing additional money on a good portion of people who need a decent amount of space on their phone. Apple would sell way fewer 64GB if they introduced a 32GB model again, so might as well get an extra $50 out of it than making it the base model.

That works out in their favor in another way, too, because if you're already paying $250 for a 32GB, why not pay another $50 and double your storage? It's easy to spend an extra $50 over what you need than an extra $100.

I honestly don't see anything wrong with their current setup. It's much, much better than it was previously. I wouldn't mind spending an extra $100 to go from 16GB to 64GB, and then double that. I did have an issue with them charging an extra $100 to double 16GB to 32GB. I felt that was a major rip-off.

tapehead

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
The low capacity on the iPhone was a BIG reason I avoided it for eight years. I could have purchased the 5C with the money I had, but I just couldn't deal with having anything lower than 32GB. That's the only reason I got the 4S over a newer model. 64GB is just delicious.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I think it's stupid to have a 16GB base model when it should be 32GB; considering 32 was removed and bumped up to 64.

princessiphone

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
Let's say it costs them $3 for the added storage and they sell only 90 million units.

They would be losing $270,000,000. Most people are too stupid to understand the loss of a 32gb version, in my opinion.

If I were Apple I would keep doing what they're doing. Although it's not fair, it makes sense for them. Plus, it allows them to pay people to create and manufacture these amazing items we all talk about :).

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
If Apple were to stay with 16,64,128 for the immediate future there is not going to be a mass exodus from the iPhone y'all know that and Apple knows that.
The 16 is there to push us to at least the 64 and to consider the 128.
A 32 wouldn't push us to 64 but away from it and possibly not even consider 128.
The balance may possibly come when 64,128 and 256 are the options.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Let's say it costs them $3 for the added storage and they sell only 90 million units.

They would be losing $270,000,000. Most people are too stupid to understand the loss of a 32gb version, in my opinion.

If I were Apple I would keep doing what they're doing. Although it's not fair, it makes sense for them. Plus, it allows them to pay people to create and manufacture these amazing items we all talk about :).

Yeah, and I guess that some people are too stupid to understand those 90,000,000 units wouldn't all be the same version, in my opinion. (See how it looks when you call people stupid?)

princessiphone

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, and I guess that some people are too stupid to understand those 90,000,000 units wouldn't all be the same version, in my opinion. (See how it looks when you call people stupid?)

What does them being the same version have to do with anything? They'd still have the same amount of storage and sell them.

And I was referring to people I know personally. Most people I know are in fact too stupid to understand the difference.

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
What does them being the same version have to do with anything? They'd still have the same amount of storage and sell them.

And I was referring to people I know personally. Most people I know are in fact too stupid to understand the difference.

All 90 million wouldn't be 32gb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I think it's stupid to have a 16GB base model when it should be 32GB; considering 32 was removed and bumped up to 64.

Stupid to a consumer...genius to a business, especially a business who makes a lot of money on charging for cloud storage like Apple does. They get to double dip in the profit pot. Adding a 32GB model and removing the 16GB model takes money out of their pocket on both ends...so from a business stand point, the 32GB option as an entry model is "stupid".

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Nowadays, the money you save with a 16gb iPhone and relying on cloud based services will most likely be negated by your data bill from your cell service provider.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Nowadays, the money you save with a 16gb iPhone and relying on cloud based services will most likely be negated by your data bill from your cell service provider.

You're in trouble anyway if you don't have wifi. I use less than 300 mb of data each month. I use Box, Dropbox and OneDrive.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
The main reason for data caps is because your phone carrier does not want to clog their network with streaming. Most users wouldn't use up much data at all for web, email and downloads.

Think of how easy it would be to binge watch a show, or watch a movie or two and not caring to turn on wifi.

Sure data is too expensive but clearly they can get it. It's priced as high as people are willing to pay and high enough in price and low enough in limit to deter high use.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Stupid to a consumer...genius to a business, especially a business who makes a lot of money on charging for cloud storage like Apple does. They get to double dip in the profit pot. Adding a 32GB model and removing the 16GB model takes money out of their pocket on both ends...so from a business stand point, the 32GB option as an entry model is "stupid".

We weren't talking about the business aspect though.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2