Anyone else using more and more Microsoft services?

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Oddly enough lately I've been using a lot of Microsoft services on my iPad and iPhone and if I used a Mac id probably use them there too. Which is weird because some apple users probably still consider Microsoft the enemy. But over the past year they have been doing some pretty great stuff and there a lot more pragmatic.

Has any other apple user found themselves using more and more Microsoft services?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
No, not really. I mean, I've been using OneDrive, OneNote and have always maintained a configured Outlook.com mail account via the native Mail app. Having said that, I am increasingly pleased with the level of service Microsoft is offering on iOS devices.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Since we're on Microsoft, can anyone here tell me if there are benefits to Outlook email?
I got one as a back up address, but I never use it, it's just there.
I did notice that when my husband (who has no Outlook) cannot open PDFs emailed to him from Outlook, I always can.
Otherwise, I know nothing about MS products, all I've heard is that they're not secure and that MS gives personal information about its users to the NSA.

Educate me, please? I'm a complete Philistine when it comes to this stuff.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Since we're on Microsoft, can anyone here tell me if there are benefits to Outlook email?
I did notice that when my husband (who has no Outlook) cannot open PDFs emailed to him from Outlook, I always can.
Otherwise, I know nothing about MS products, all I've heard is that they're not secure and that MS gives personal information about its users to the NSA.

Personally, I use an Outlook.com email account for business and iMore use, and it works well for me. My iCloud account is for personal use, my Yahoo account is used primarily for backup authorization purposes and Apple-related email receipts. Finally, my old AOL account is for junk purposes. For example: When retailers, etcetera want my email address to send SPAM, I give them the AOL email address. I check it at the end of the day to basically delete the SPAM.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, the ONLY Microsoft service I use regularly is Xbox Live...I don't use any of their office products anymore (have moved 100% to iWork)...even the Microsoft Exchange email account I have connected to my business is literally ONLY used for business, and most of my email traffic still flows through my main Gmail account.

I have Windows 8 boot camped on my MBP and haven't accessed it in months. My gaming PC is set to automatically sign into Steam when I turn it on, so I don't remember the last time I even used any other feature outside of that.

So to answer your question, for me...not at all. I'm actually regressing away from Microsoft products.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Honestly, the ONLY Microsoft service I use regularly is Xbox Live...I don't use any of their office products anymore (have moved 100% to iWork)...even the Microsoft Exchange email account I have connected to my business is literally ONLY used for business, and most of my email traffic still flows through my main Gmail account.

I have Windows 8 boot camped on my MBP and haven't accessed it in months. My gaming PC is set to automatically sign into Steam when I turn it on, so I don't remember the last time I even used any other feature outside of that.

So to answer your question, for me...not at all. I'm actually regressing away from Microsoft products.

How well does Windows 8 boot camped on the MBP work for you? I've been considering doing the same thing on my MBP.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
How well does Windows 8 boot camped on the MBP work for you? I've been considering doing the same thing on my MBP.

It works just fine really...but I cannot stand the Windows OS environment, so while it functions as it is supposed to, it makes me cringe even seeing it as a bootable OS on my machine (and since I haven't legitimately used it since I was in school, I think I might delete it very soon).

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

I don't use mine except to store some docs and links. I only got it because it was necessary when I got OneDrive. And to get that, I had to get OneNote. LOL. I deleted OneNote. Took too much space. My workhorses are my 4 Gmail accounts.

eseerc

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
I'm hoping when office comes out for Mac this year that it's a worthwhile improvement.

I'm using the preview build of Office 2016 on my Mac and it's pretty awesome. If you use OneDrive, it is fully integrated. This means that none of your Office documents stored in OneDrive need to be stored locally on your machine. It's great!