An unlimited data plan is essential for mobile phones nowadays in 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Same here unlimited was nice but I have been using 30 GB for the past few years with 8 phones and have been fine. I really don't think carriers like VZW and AT&T will ever have unlimited plans again. They have unlimited text and calls because no one calls anymore lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
OP, Again, the iPhone 6 nor the iPhone 6 Plus costs $1,500 usd. As you can see, the very most expensive here in the US is $949. usd.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432998193.907822.jpg

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Same here unlimited was nice but I have been using 30 GB for the past few years with 8 phones and have been fine. I really don't think carriers like VZW and AT&T will ever have unlimited plans again. They have unlimited text and calls because no one calls anymore lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Moreover, if you do notice a carrier offering unlimited data, they either need more customers or they're having customer retention problems.

gfederline9

Banned
Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
While I think eliminating truly unlimited data is a huge mistake if it happens, I currently go through roughly 4gb a month. I have a 3gb data plan and am currently using my free 10gb data vault. After I run out of that data, I am most likely going to have to upgrade to 5gb of data.

I really do miss my $30/mo completely unlimited data plan, however with wifi in so many places I should not be going through as much data as I am. I think I need to evaluate where all of my data is being used and see what are the data hog apps because I am on wifi 75% of the time and there is no way I am using so much data when I am only on LTE 25% of the month.

Most carriers in the U.S. have either eliminated unlimited data, or cap it at a certain point. A lot of people are still grandfathered into theirs, but when I was a poor college student I made the choice to save money over keeping that data. Not a smart decision on my part.

I know T-Mobile is offering an unlimited data plan again, but I have yet to look into if it caps your data at a certain point or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

here in UK those unlimited plan do comes with a cap , which is mosty do with tethering , I can tether my iPhone with my MacBook very fast speed from 00:01 am to 3pm , from 3pm to 12pm night the tethering speed is extremely slow

other then that Internet usage on everyday time on iPhone is very fast both 3G or LTE

- I do know asia : south korea and hong kong unlimited data plan is very popular , everywhere , I watch a cnn program about south korea Internet

I can't believe USA as the origin of iPhone and a no1 leading country of tech can have no unlimited data plan ,

unlimited data plan is essential like oxygen
UNLIMITED DATA PLAN IS ESSENTIAL LIKE OXYGEN

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
While I think eliminating truly unlimited data is a huge mistake if it happens, I currently go through roughly 4gb a month. I have a 3gb data plan and am currently using my free 10gb data vault. After I run out of that data, I am most likely going to have to upgrade to 5gb of data.

I really do miss my $30/mo completely unlimited data plan, however with wifi in so many places I should not be going through as much data as I am. I think I need to evaluate where all of my data is being used and see what are the data hog apps because I am on wifi 75% of the time and there is no way I am using so much data when I am only on LTE 25% of the month.

Most carriers in the U.S. have either eliminated unlimited data, or cap it at a certain point. A lot of people are still grandfathered into theirs, but when I was a poor college student I made the choice to save money over keeping that data. Not a smart decision on my part.

I know T-Mobile is offering an unlimited data plan again, but I have yet to look into if it caps your data at a certain point or not.

You made the best decision based on your situation at the time. Besides, using it in conjunction with Wi-Fi has worked out well for you, right?

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't go back to limited data; considering I've been unlimited for years. I'd have to agree with you. There are a few carriers in the USA with unlimited data still.

hearmeoutx

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
You made the best decision based on your situation at the time. Besides, using it in conjunction with Wi-Fi has worked out well for you, right?

It has with the exception of the last 2-3 months but T-Mobile gave all Simple Choice plan customers 10gb of free vault data. I need to figure out what app is using so much data, since I am usually on wifi and I have somehow been managing to go over. It's odd.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It has with the exception of the last 2-3 months but T-Mobile gave all Simple Choice plan customers 10gb of free vault data. I need to figure out what app is using so much data, since I am usually on wifi and I have somehow been managing to go over. It's odd.

Don't rule out a glitch on T-mobile's end. Push them for an explanation, if you haven't already, especially if your usage habits have not changed. In the meantime, go through your app list in the settings and disable cellular and background app refresh for games and apps that don't need access to both.

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Don't rule out a glitch on T-mobile's end. Push them for an explanation, if you haven't already, especially if your usage habits have not changed. In the meantime, go through your app list in the settings and disable cellular and background app refresh for games and apps that don't need access to both.

T-mobile have an issue? The heck you say. :rolleyes:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Also make sure your wifi is working properly. Reboot the modem/router.

gfederline9

Banned
Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
unlimited data plan is essential for mobile phone nowadays 2015

i would pay ? 40 = 80 us dollar for unlimited data plan monthly , the real unlimited data plan

hollidizzle

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site

Thank you this was the point I was trying to make. I miss getting my unlimited data for a reasonable price. Yes we can have more data now if we pay for it and trust me I've been paying for it.

To everyone else, idk about you guys but I can run through a lot of data because wifi is not offered in my usual daily circle even when I WAS home. So I would love unlimited data back. But everyone is right you just have to pay for it now I guess.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Thank you this was the point I was trying to make. I miss getting my unlimited data for a reasonable price. Yes we can have more data now if we pay for it and trust me I've been paying for it.

To everyone else, idk about you guys but I can run through a lot of data because wifi is not offered in my usual daily circle even when I WAS home. So I would love unlimited data back. But everyone is right you just have to pay for it now I guess.

We'd all like unlimited data at a reasonable price. But to get it, you need to convince the wireless providers. That is who you should be contacting. Good luck, but I don't see them relenting and bringing it back. It's too profitable for them the way it is now.

Until the current situation changes (if it ever does), you are forced to choose between burning through all the data you can get or keeping some of your hard-earned money. Using wifi whenever possible will ease the pain. Unfortunately, those are the only choices available.

Unlimited data is NOT essential. You can survive without it. Not having unlimited data, however, does force you to budget you resources - that's what grown ups do. They prioritize and work it out as best they can.

gfederline9

Banned
Apr 1, 2015
Visit site

i would pay ? 40 = 80 us dollar for unlimited data plan monthly , the real unlimited data plan

if u buy an 1400 us dollar / ?700 / 60 us dollar monthly iPhone , galaxy s6 just to use the pency 4gb data a month with wifi the rest of the time ,
people will start build their own radio station and build their own server for unlimited data lte service

PEOPLE WILL START BUILD THEIR OWN RADIO STATION AND BUILD THEIR OWN SERVER FOR UNLIMITED DATA LTE SERVICE
PEOPLE WILL START BUILD THEIR OWN RADIO STATION AND BUILD THEIR OWN SERVER FOR UNLIMITED DATA LTE SERVICE

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

@hollidizzle:

The OP created a thread stating that an "unlimited data plan is essential for mobile phone nowadays 2015". He posted it not as an opinion but as a fact. Some of us who replied explained to him that it is not "essential". He is clearly getting along quite well without an unlimited data plan.

As for you, you stated "This guys post was a little misleading but I find it surprising how many people disagree. So you guys are saying you wouldn't WELCOME unlimited data back? Sure it's about discipline but I didn't buy my phone to learn the discipline I bought my phone so I could use apps and stream stuff as it was intended. (lol)"

You asked a question and I responded NOT sarcastically, but bluntly. Your admission of "sure it's about discipline" is in agreement with the fact that an unlimited data plan is NOT essential whether you'll admit it or not. Then you went on to state, "...I bought my phone so I could use apps and stream stuff as it was intended." Well, unless you're implying that using apps and streaming stuff are meant to be done nonstop, you did not explain what "as it was intended" meant in this regard. In summary, don't accuse me of "methodically retorting" and being sarcastic for disagreeing with the OP and for using common sense scenarios to show flaws in your own reasoning. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
you can keep repeating this nonsense in all caps all you want...it's not going to make it come true. It is simply YOUR OPINION...not fact.

gdruin74

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it is essential, but I do love my T-Mobile unlimited plan. I have never been throttled even using over 30g some months. I could, if forced to, make sure wifi is on more often or change my habits. Not having to think about it is a good thing since I have 2 kids on my plan and we all stream music all the time. Essential? no. Great to have and not have to worry about overages? Yes

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it is essential, but I do love my T-Mobile unlimited plan. I have never been throttled even using over 30g some months. I could, if forced to, make sure wifi is on more often or change my habits. Not having to think about it is a good thing since I have 2 kids on my plan and we all stream music all the time. Essential? no. Great to have and not have to worry about overages? Yes

You bring up a good point.

If you're a streaming user, then unlimited data would probably be a good option. I guess I'm old school. I want my music, movies, and applications on my device. Then I don't have to worry about data usage, and if I'm in the middle of nowhere, I can still enjoy my content.

gdruin74

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Depending on how you look at it I am either lucky or not lucky enough to be in the middle of nowhere very often but I do keep some music on my phone. With kids though it is nice to not have to worry about a shock when getting the bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.