Apple and Blackberry, as one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Ha.....the BlackBerry faithful proselytising the dogma of their faith.....how endearing.....
Personally, I turned my back on BlackBerry for my personal device and I am deeply deeply deeply sorry that it took me so long. Between the insults, haranguing, libelous personal attacks of some of the faithful and the utter collapse of a company I once loved, I find that Apple offers me more than I lack. A file system? Dropbox. iCloud. Box. One Drive. Mail attachments? Got an app that does that. Blinky blinkity blinking blink light? Nah.....don't need it. Hub? A hot mess of an eyesore. BBM? Spam central.
For work, my company offers iPhones. And it's a federal agency within the secure community. Let's face it....top secret communications *CANNOT* by regulation be sent via standard issue BlackBerry devices. Sensitive, sure. Top secret? Ha. Try that one. Therefore an iPhone on Good or Mobile Iron is *secure enough* (familiarise yourself with that concept) for the vast majority of government agencies. Does Obama carry a BlackBerry? Yup. BBOS7 99xx device modified for his needs. Do the rank and file government employee get one as well? Nah. We had 9930s that the whole of my agency gleefully dumped in favour of SGS5 and iPhone 6. I chose the SGS5 due to the user replaceable battery but I'll switch to an iPhone when my upgrade comes up in November.
Fact is the iPhone is eating BlackBerry's lunch in Enterprise. For every Indian law agency with 60 employees that upgrades to BB10 with BES 10, there is an agency like mine with 6K employees that moves AWAY from BlackBerry.
Fact is that neither BES10 nor BES12 has gained traction with agencies that were on BES5. Fact is that the attrition of Blackberry in the U.S. federal government is accelerating and not decelerating.
And before anyone asks, no I won't give specifics. I value my job more than to give information on a forum because some BlackBerry acolyte asked.
I once wanted Apple to buy BlackBerry. That was when I still loved BlackBerry and wanted to continue to use their products. Now???? Meh. Would I have loved my Q10 running iOS? You betcha. Would I have loved iOS 8 on my 150 buck Quasimodo so that I would not have to deal with the flickering screen and the atrocious camera? Oh yeah. But meh. Really. My love for Blackberry has waned to just contempt for their uninspiring "solution" to the atrocious app gap, their utter inability to execute, and their penchant for snatching defeat out of the jaws of victory. The disastrous launch of BB10 and every device since has killed it for me.

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
The benefits are that you wouldn't have an iCloud to get hacked. You would use BBM which is more secure because it goes through BB's servers. You would have fewer apps tracking your every move. You wouldn't have your fingerprints on file, or your health records. People want what they want, I get it. But all the people that tell you "they have nothing to hide" are giving everything away, willingly, foolishly.

Do you mean the iCloud that adds functionality that BB can't come close to having ? I'd hardly. call someone logging into your iCloud account using your name as a password being hacked. That's poor security practices by the user. Don't cut off features to me because someone else is stupid.. The others used common passwords. Apple now limits the number of tries and sends you an email when someone longs in on a different device.

There have been countless stories of the DEA and other LE agencies crying because they are not able to track iMessages. Six month waits for Apple to unlock iPhones for them.

So again, other than reducing functionality for people, how does a BB not on BES help me ??? Consumer security died with the killing of BIS.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Ha.....the BlackBerry faithful proselytising the dogma of their faith.....how endearing.....
Personally, I turned my back on BlackBerry for my personal device and I am deeply deeply deeply sorry that it took me so long. Between the insults, haranguing, libelous personal attacks of some of the faithful and the utter collapse of a company I once loved, I find that Apple offers me more than I lack. A file system? Dropbox. iCloud. Box. One Drive. Mail attachments? Got an app that does that. Blinky blinkity blinking blink light? Nah.....don't need it. Hub? A hot mess of an eyesore. BBM? Spam central.
For work, my company offers iPhones. And it's a federal agency within the secure community. Let's face it....top secret communications *CANNOT* by regulation be sent via standard issue BlackBerry devices. Sensitive, sure. Top secret? Ha. Try that one. Therefore an iPhone on Good or Mobile Iron is *secure enough* (familiarise yourself with that concept) for the vast majority of government agencies. Does Obama carry a BlackBerry? Yup. BBOS7 99xx device modified for his needs. Do the rank and file government employee get one as well? Nah. We had 9930s that the whole of my agency gleefully dumped in favour of SGS5 and iPhone 6. I chose the SGS5 due to the user replaceable battery but I'll switch to an iPhone when my upgrade comes up in November.
Fact is the iPhone is eating BlackBerry's lunch in Enterprise. For every Indian law agency with 60 employees that upgrades to BB10 with BES 10, there is an agency like mine with 6K employees that moves AWAY from BlackBerry.
Fact is that neither BES10 nor BES12 has gained traction with agencies that were on BES5. Fact is that the attrition of Blackberry in the U.S. federal government is accelerating and not decelerating.
And before anyone asks, no I won't give specifics. I value my job more than to give information on a forum because some BlackBerry acolyte asked.
I once wanted Apple to buy BlackBerry. That was when I still loved BlackBerry and wanted to continue to use their products. Now???? Meh. Would I have loved my Q10 running iOS? You betcha. Would I have loved iOS 8 on my 150 buck Quasimodo so that I would not have to deal with the flickering screen and the atrocious camera? Oh yeah. But meh. Really. My love for Blackberry has waned to just contempt for their uninspiring "solution" to the atrocious app gap, their utter inability to execute, and their penchant for snatching defeat out of the jaws of victory. The disastrous launch of BB10 and every device since has killed it for me.

Well said qb.

Although I prefer apples implementation of the little red dot. :)

ddd4a49e1113d193b9718efb68fadb7a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Blackberry has almost nothing of value to Apple. Certainly nothing worth buying them out over.
IMO the only part of Blackberry that has any value at this point is their MDM business and some of their smaller acquisitions that are functioning more or less independent of the larger company.

Apple is not in the MDM business, and would be wise to stay away from it.
Apple hasn't shown any interest in getting into to industrial machinery, making QNX worthless to them.
BB handsets are losing money and are unpopular.
Their IP is generally not fully fleshed out, badly implemented, or just stuff that the majority of people don't want.
They've lost many of their high profile employees that might have actually fit in with Apple.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Oooooooo envious.

I've saved up to buy my 6s Plus outright. I've got to save for my black stainless steel  Watch.

Enjoy yours!!!!

I have no doubt you will pick one up soon enough. However, I don't know why, but I have feeling you will be sporting an apple watch long before the the 6s comments leak online.

Simply put, the Apple watch is amazing. My space black should be arriving sometime in the next two weeks, can't wait.

On another note how is your puppy doing?

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

Great post, Lil. I'm sure you lost the blackberry crowd with the big words and sound logic.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Great post, Lil. I'm sure you lost the blackberry crowd with the big words and sound logic.

Baby I lost the BlackBerry crowd when the blackberry flavoured KoolAid ran out. As did millions of others.

And I haven't celebrated a loss with more gusto than that loss.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I have no doubt you will pick one up soon enough. However, I don't know why, but I have feeling you will be sporting an apple watch long before the the 6s comments leak online.

Simply put, the Apple watch is amazing. My space black should be arriving sometime in the next two weeks, can't wait.

On another note how is your puppy doing?

Well I wanted to buy the iPhone outright so my savings were going to the Plus in September. And I want the black so it's going to take me a wee bit of time to save for that.

And the puppy is a total love. Except she's a hurricane. Hurricane Emma. She thinks mud is grand.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431611128.977210.jpg

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
iOS devices have their place. Nobody denies that. But they need to be secured properly, and right now BES is the clear choice. Nothing else comes close. iPhone would be 10 times better with a file system, expandable memory, an email and attachment system that wasn't from 2006, and real multitasking, you know... for work.
BlackBerry is not circling the drain. Things admittedly were bad, but no more. They are profitable again, and things are getting better. Nobody denies that it was bleak, but that was then, and this is now. Chen has repeatedly stated that he's going after corp first. Not ONLY... just first. And as stated before, if you don't think your own personal security is important, then I feel scared/sad for you.
Ever heard of Dropout Jeep? Probably not... or you've ignored it thinking it is BS...
But it's not.
The NSA Reportedly Has Total Access To The Apple iPhone

You might be one of the most delusional people on iMore.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
BB doesn't get it. Folks want good looking devices. iPhone, Galaxy, HTC and others.
I just checked out the BB Leap it has no flavor. The Passport looks like a Pop-Tart. BB devices have no flavor and platform has no apps.

I'm tired of hearing that argument that business can't be done on a iPhone or anything else. For my business the iPhone is key to a smooth operation. If I had to use a BB I'd pull my hair out and I'm bald.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The problem with design was a speed bump they ignored almost a decade ago...that ship has long sailed and left Blackberry behind.

The biggest issue Blackberry faces today, and the one that will ultimately lead Blackberry to being sold, in my opinion, is the fear investors have in the company itself. Investors view BB as a lame duck...and they've been advising a sale since 2012 (when Google first threw an offer out, then again in January when Samsung did the same...both times Blackberry turned the sale down because they felt they could achieve a monumental comeback).

Eventually, investors are going to start jumping ship all together, driving the stock price down even more than it has already...then the company will sell for peanuts because the board at Blackberry has this magical idea that the way to fix their sinking ship is to focus on only a portion of the holes in the hull...all the while, some of the largest holes are ignored (AKA: The consumer market), and the water keeps flooding in, while these BB heroes stand proudly at the holes they focused on (Enterprise), ignoring that the ship is still very much sinking (even quicker now).

Personally, I've always thought that Microsoft was the most attractive potential buyer because A.) Their own devices haven't found immense success on the market in either quadrant, and B.) Windows is to corporate and government computing what Blackberry has been to mobile devices in said circles. It'd make sense that Microsoft, in an effort to continue (and grow) their relationships with the government and corporate America, would buy the company that focuses on the same in the smart phone market (which Microsoft has never cornered anything in).

We'll see.

canuckvoip

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Even I don't give a sh|t about what the NSA can find on my phone. Why are you so concerned about it? Other than you feeling compelled to defend Blackberry at every turn you can.

I'm concerned because once you give away your liberties, it is difficult or impossible to get them back. You're not worried about it, that's too bad but whatever.

canuckvoip

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Passing the buck?
I have no sympathies for anyone working at blackberry that finds themselves without a job once the company shutters their handset division. Blame management, not iPhone users.

The writing has been on the wall for years. They chose to ignore it.

Black berry Important?
Hahahaha, thanks for the laugh.

Not passing the buck at all if you've been paying attention. BlackBerry got what they deserved for resting on their laurels (for the most part). If you can't recognize the importance of security then again... I feel sorry for you.

canuckvoip

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Do you mean the iCloud that adds functionality that BB can't come close to having ? I'd hardly. call someone logging into your iCloud account using your name as a password being hacked. That's poor security practices by the user. Don't cut off features to me because someone else is stupid.. The others used common passwords. Apple now limits the number of tries and sends you an email when someone longs in on a different device.

There have been countless stories of the DEA and other LE agencies crying because they are not able to track iMessages. Six month waits for Apple to unlock iPhones for them.

So again, other than reducing functionality for people, how does a BB not on BES help me ??? Consumer security died with the killing of BIS.
Yes, Apple NOW limits the number of tries to get access. They didn't care about you before the fappenning did they?
Are you denying the DropoutJeep exists?

canuckvoip

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Blackberry has almost nothing of value to Apple. Certainly nothing worth buying them out over.
IMO the only part of Blackberry that has any value at this point is their MDM business and some of their smaller acquisitions that are functioning more or less independent of the larger company.

Apple is not in the MDM business, and would be wise to stay away from it.
Apple hasn't shown any interest in getting into to industrial machinery, making QNX worthless to them.
BB handsets are losing money and are unpopular.
Their IP is generally not fully fleshed out, badly implemented, or just stuff that the majority of people don't want.
They've lost many of their high profile employees that might have actually fit in with Apple.

If Apple car rumours are true, QNX would solve a lot of problems for them. Why re-invent the "wheel" if you don't have to? What OS does Apple have that you would trust to run your car?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Not passing the buck at all if you've been paying attention. BlackBerry got what they deserved for resting on their laurels (for the most part). If you can't recognize the importance of security then again... I feel sorry for you.
You've got to grasp the reality that your beloved Blackberry isn't the only game in town when it comes to security... and that's all BB has left going for it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox