My wifi is connected but I am still using cellular data, what should I do?

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
WiFi Connected, But Using Cellular Data

Late last night I received 3 emails from AT&T that I am using a lot of data and then finally went over my data allotment. This is the first time this has happened in 4 years and nothing with my habits have changed.

I remember years back that there was an iOS bug that would use cellular data even though a person was connected to their wifi network. This is the case here.

Has anyone experienced this since updating to 8.3?

I have apparently burned through 1.5 GB of data last night alone, and I know I was connected to wifi.

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Re: WiFi Connected, But Using Cellular Data

I haven't noticed any problem with this on my iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, or iPhone 5s.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site

Late last night I received 3 emails from AT&T that I am using a lot of data and then finally went over my data allotment. This is the first time this has happened in 4 years and nothing with my habits have changed.

I remember years back that there was an iOS bug that would use cellular data even though a person was connected to their wifi network. This is the case here.

Has anyone experienced this since updating to 8.3?

I have apparently burned through 1.5 GB of data last night alone, and I know I was connected to wifi.

I have seen this. A hard reboot solved it for me. If not, drop the wifi connection and re-add it. That should solve it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

In addition to what Scatabrain suggested, I recommend you review the apps that have access to cellular data. It's possible that you have a rogue app/game that's constantly downloading ads.

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

I figured this was just a single issue, but I am hesitant that it will happen again. I watched 2 episodes of Spartacus on Netflix last night and bang... 1.5 GB of data used. I spoke with an AT&T rep just now and she instructed me to turn off cellular data while in a wifi area. I told her that would be a huge pain in the ****.

Again... I have found several threads across the net about this issue occurring before, but it just stinks that I burned that data and then AT&T purchased another 1 GB on my behalf and I still have 18 days left in this billing cycle.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site

I figured this was just a single issue, but I am hesitant that it will happen again. I watched 2 episodes of Spartacus on Netflix last night and bang... 1.5 GB of data used. I spoke with an AT&T rep just now and she instructed me to turn off cellular data while in a wifi area. I told her that would be a huge pain in the ****.

Again... I have found several threads across the net about this issue occurring before, but it just stinks that I burned that data and then AT&T purchased another 1 GB on my behalf and I still have 18 days left in this billing cycle.

It hasn't happened to me after the suggested fixed. Somehow the update messed with my wifi saved connection. Making the new connection seems to have solved it completely.

Another suggestion: do a reset network settings. I think you can get away with not doing it but in the past this sometimes helped to fix problems like this.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

I'm not finding much online about the newer gen devices having this issue...and nothing online related to iOS 8 (any variant) specifically...but I do know that historically, this has been something people have complained about.

Turning off data in your wifi area really isn't that "difficult", especially if you want to ensure this issue doesn't continue happening...I mean you're talking a simple pressing of the "On/Off" button in settings. I mean we all have our own definition of what is a "pain in the ***", but I can't imagine simply pressing a button would be THAT inconveniencing, especially with how irritated you seem about the overages.

I would also make sure that your WiFi network is functioning properly...you may want to reset that equipment as well as your network settings in your iPhone again and see if perhaps you have a dead spot in your house where your network falls to a critical level and your phone is falling back onto cellular...this could be caused by several reasons, including a dying router.

Other than what has been suggested to you, your only other option is to get with Apple and see about replacement or repair of the device. I think going through the first options before going this route would be a lot more logical though in case the issue isn't related to your device.

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site

Also, if you're not using the myAT&T app, you might want to give it a try. It allows you to set usage alerts.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Keep a check on your data usage in settings. Go to Settings >Cellular >scroll down to reset statistics >Tap to reset. Then keep a watch on it.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431044575.417817.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431044647.731083.jpg

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

jmendel33

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

I had the same issue recently my bill date just ended, but I was jail broken, updated my phone to 8.3 and while I was doing that it said there was an update the the att carrier settings, so I did that as well, now I always go over my 3gb data plan with about 2 days left every month but this time I was almost 5 days out, it added the first gb then 2 days later it said I went over another gb, in two days?? I'm on wifi at home and wifi at work, there are some spotty places at my job where I drop to lte but I've been working there for 13 years and have had an iPhone since the 3GS and I have never encountered this, my iPhone 6 is not new I've had it since October also

gfederline9

Banned
Apr 1, 2015
Visit site

I had the same issue recently my bill date just ended, but I was jail broken, updated my phone to 8.3 and while I was doing that it said there was an update the the att carrier settings, so I did that as well, now I always go over my 3gb data plan with about 2 days left every month but this time I was almost 5 days out, it added the first gb then 2 days later it said I went over another gb, in two days?? I'm on wifi at home and wifi at work, there are some spotty places at my job where I drop to lte but I've been working there for 13 years and have had an iPhone since the 3GS and I have never encountered this, my iPhone 6 is not new I've had it since October also

just Drink less 10 beer or eat less 10 burger or work harder to earn $50 more ,and buy an unlimited data plan

jmendel33

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

just Drink less 10 beer or eat less 10 burger or work harder to earn $50 more ,and buy an unlimited data plan

We are in a shared family data plan, and who are you to make that post, talking about my work ethic? Or what I consume each month, that was one of the most ignorant posts I've even seen in this forum, the post was not called help I need $50 extra a month because I can't pay my cellphone bill, if you have nothing constructive to say on the matter then don't waste the keystrokes replying please

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Have you discussed it with AT&T?

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

gfederline9

Banned
Apr 1, 2015
Visit site

We are in a shared family data plan, and who are you to make that post, talking about my work ethic? Or what I consume each month, that was one of the most ignorant posts I've even seen in this forum, the post was not called help I need $50 extra a month because I can't pay my cellphone bill, if you have nothing constructive to say on the matter then don't waste the keystrokes replying please

I m just saying buy unlimited data plan , it worths it
just say it only cost you 10 less beer a month

and you can use as much internet as you want

krisd3207

Apr 15, 2016
Visit site
Yes, mine has been doing the same thing. Oddly, looking at my bill I can see it is consistently at midnight, 3AM, 6AM, and 9AM, almost every night. This is when I am at home, my phone is connected to wifi, and I am asleep. I have turned everything off from automatically updating, yet it is still using data...

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Yes, mine has been doing the same thing. Oddly, looking at my bill I can see it is consistently at midnight, 3AM, 6AM, and 9AM, almost every night. This is when I am at home, my phone is connected to wifi, and I am asleep. I have turned everything off from automatically updating, yet it is still using data...

Those times are not the actual usage times. Just when they were recorded. There's a 6 or 8 hour window on usage stats. So if I have a spike of .400 gb at 3 am on the bill, it may have taken place 6 hours before at 9:00 pm. I was showing a spike at 1:00 pm of 400 mb. Couldn't figure it out. Verizon told me of the window, and sure enough, at 5:15 pm I recalled doing something that was probably the culprit.

Quick Sipper

Oct 29, 2016
Visit site

I'm not finding much online about the newer gen devices having this issue...and nothing online related to iOS 8 (any variant) specifically...but I do know that historically, this has been something people have complained about.

Turning off data in your wifi area really isn't that "difficult", especially if you want to ensure this issue doesn't continue happening...I mean you're talking a simple pressing of the "On/Off" button in settings. I mean we all have our own definition of what is a "pain in the ***", but I can't imagine simply pressing a button would be THAT inconveniencing, especially with how irritated you seem about the overages.

I would also make sure that your WiFi network is functioning properly...you may want to reset that equipment as well as your network settings in your iPhone again and see if perhaps you have a dead spot in your house where your network falls to a critical level and your phone is falling back onto cellular...this could be caused by several reasons, including a dying router.

Other than what has been suggested to you, your only other option is to get with Apple and see about replacement or repair of the device. I think going through the first options before going this route would be a lot more logical though in case the issue isn't related to your device.

it's a pain in the *** when you rely in your phone for work... forget to turn "on" cellular data, and miss important emails, iMessages, etc. so YES it's a pain in the ***. also and most importantly, I have turned wifi assist off so it shouldn't be happening period.

Quick Sipper

Oct 29, 2016
Visit site

yes! here's the answer everyone...pay them more money! the solution has been found, let's lock this thread... we're done here.

Thuewy

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site

I'm new to the iPhone club and very technically challenged. I got the iPhone 6s Plus a couple of billing cycles ago and this month is the first time I have gone over 2G. I have never used 1G and I haven't changed anything. Do you mind teaching me how to turn the Data off? There are a boatload of apps running on my Data. I guess the new update is to blame. And since I am trying to figure out a new phone plus adjust to the update, I'm sure operator error is involved. Thank you

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

I'm new to the iPhone club and very technically challenged. I got the iPhone 6s Plus a couple of billing cycles ago and this month is the first time I have gone over 2G. I have never used 1G and I haven't changed anything. Do you mind teaching me how to turn the Data off? There are a boatload of apps running on my Data. I guess the new update is to blame. And since I am trying to figure out a new phone plus adjust to the update, I'm sure operator error is involved. Thank you

Welcome to iMore! You can turn cellular data off for individual apps in Settings > Cellular. Make sure you're connected to wifi whenever possible and turn off Wi-Fi Assist in Settings > Cellular (all the way at the bottom).

At the end of the day, iPhones generally use a lot of data. You may want to consider upping your data plan a bit.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711