Considering moving on to an iPhone from Android, can I get some help deciding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

garfnodie

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Hardcore Android user thinking of switching to iPhone

The title should pretty much explain it. I've been a pretty hardcore Android user since the release of the Nexus One (January 2010). I've owned seven Android devices since then, phones and tablets, and every single one of them has been rooted and running custom ROMs, usually the latest version of CyanogenMod available for the device. I'm not a hacker, cracker or programmer, but I can follow directions really well and have done just about all there is to do on Android and I'm kind of bored. I did own an iPad for a short period of time(1st get) and I did enjoy it, but a tablet's not a phone and so I don't feel the usage of a tablet translates to how well I'd enjoy using an iPhone. I'm also one of those people who, even though I haven't own and iOS device since iOS 4, I can can and quite often do show others how to use the more advance features of their iPhone or iPad.

I'm hoping that there is is someone else on here that was a similar kind of Android user and decided to switch to the iPhone. I did some searching, and I can find anything that's that recent or is by the same kind of hardcore user of Android that I was. Most of the stuff I find are from people who are regular users, who don't even know what a ROM is, or what rooting, recoveries, bootloaders, HBOOT, etc. are.

With the release of iOS 8 and iPhone 6+, I'm hoping I can make the switch with regrets. Is jailbreaking still a thing on iOS? What do you miss about Android? Any help on this subject would be most helpbul.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hardcore Android user thinking of switching to iPhone

Prior to the introduction of the iPhone 4S, I had been using an HTC EVO 4G and an HTC Droid Incredible, both of which had been rooted and flashed with EVERY custom ROM available at the time. I was as active in the XDA forums as I am here. Like you, I needed a change and opted to buy the iPhone 4S. I've been hooked ever since, and not once have I jailbroken any of my iPhones, iPads and my Apple TV. I'm enjoying my devices as-is, and I am at peace with them. As for your questions, no one can answer the one in regard to whether or not you'll enjoy iOS. You either will or you won't. As for jail breaking, yes, it's still a thing for iOS. ...;)

garfnodie

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Re: Hardcore Android user thinking of switching to iPhone

Prior to the introduction of the iPhone 4S, I had been using an HTC EVO 4G and an HTC Droid Incredible, both of which had been rooted and flashed with EVERY custom ROM available at the time. I was as active in the XDA forums as I am here. Like you, I needed a change and opted to buy the iPhone 4S. I've been hooked ever since, and not once have I jailbroken any of my iPhones, iPads and my Apple TV. I'm enjoying my devices as-is, and I am at peace with them. As for your questions, no one can answer the one in regard to whether or not you'll enjoy iOS. You either will or you won't. As for jail breaking, yes, it's still a thing for iOS. ...;)

Thanks for the quick reply, it's good to finally find a non-regular user like me who is happy with the switch. I reworded my questions to ask what other miss about Android.

garfnodie

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Who changed the title of this? I had specifically worded the title of this to grab the attention of the former, or maybe still hardcore Android users. This new title that some moderator changed it to doesn't really convey the kind of person's attention I'm trying to grab. There are lots of places I can find info of Android users switching to iPhone, but almost no places of recent hardcore converts.

So whatever moderator decided to change the title, could you please tell me why you changed the title arbitrarily. I know you have the right to do that, but I'd like an explanation because the new title drastically changes what I wanted it to say.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Who changed the title of this? I had specifically worded the title of this to grab the attention of the former, or maybe still hardcore Android users. This new title that some moderator changed it to doesn't really convey the kind of person's attention I'm trying to grab. There are lots of places I can find info of Android users switching to iPhone, but almost no places of recent hardcore converts.

So whatever moderator decided to change the title, could you please tell me why you changed the title arbitrarily. I know you have the right to do that, but I'd like an explanation because the new title drastically changes what I wanted it to say.

No, moderators do not have to tell you why a thread's title was changed, but I will do so anyway. More than likely, the thread's title was changed to represent the contents of the post. We do not care about so called "attention grabbing" titles. What we do care about is making it as easy as possible for members and visitors to find a topic that fits the information they are seeking.

Last edited:

garfnodie

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

It wasn't attention grabbing for the sake of being attention grabbing, it was designed to grab the attention of a very specific type of former Android user, not an average former Android user. The new title is too generic, and I didn't say I deserve an explanation, I simply asked for an explanation.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Best advice you'll get...buy the phone that works best for you and refrain from investing in crowd sourcing to choose something for yourself. This website is obviously going to be bias towards the iPhone...nobody is looking to argue over which phone is "best" because there is no "best" device, they are all good and bad in their own ways.

What you need to know about the iPhone you almost assuredly already know...you can jailbreak an iPhone and customize it until your heart's content. Apple customer service is 2nd to none and if there is a truly unopinionated "superior" function of the iPhone, it's the App store. When you focus on the core appeal of the device though, it's it's simplistic and near perfect performance. The iPhone lives by Apple's former slogan...it "Just Works", and it's reliable. It can be as simple or complex as you want it to be depending on how much you want to tinker or how much you want to leave it alone.

There's also numerous posts in the model specific sub-forums that cover what former android users "miss the most"...and their usually one of the top posts in the sub (especially recently with the huge migration over for the bigger screen devices).

garfnodie

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

I guess this wasn't the correct place to ask this question. I'd delete this thread if I could, but I'm not a moderator.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.