What goes into your decision to purchasing any piece of tech?

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I always think about this when I'm getting the urge to buy a new tech product, "Would it be needed? Or is it just on impulse?" I find myself making more rational decisions that way, but I still face the occasional temptation to justify something I really like but something I don't really need...

For the most part I buy something really need at the moment...at least I hope I do haha.

What about you? What goes on in your head when you look at a tech product? Tell us all about how you go about deciding whether to purchase a product or not.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Do I Need It?

Does it do the same thing that something I already own does?

How much use will it get?

How Durable Is it?

How Much Does It cost?

Is it really worth that price?

This is how I ended up with an Xbox One over a week ago. Best thing I have owned for a long time. I am still debating whether to get a tablet or not though. I just might seeing as I won't be getting a new phone anytime soon.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
At this stage I'm starting to whip my tech addiction and think more rationally as opposed to before where the primary decision was "Is this the latest tech?"

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
My decision process usually centers in need and practicality. Of course, price and (perceived) value often factors in.

I went through a time where, because money was not really a limiting factor, I was somewhat less analytical about the purchase process/decision. But as I seriously contemplate my retirement, cost and absolute need are once again major considerations.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
For me it's how long will I obsess over wanting it. When I find myself going back to it over and over I pull the trigger and buy

Sent from my Gold iPad Air using Tapatalk

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Will it satisfy my needs and can I afford it. It doesn't always work out the way I want it.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Y'all are forgetting the most important component of decision making: Take to social media and forums for crowd sourced affirmation... :p

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Once I've identified a want, the only real thought process I have is "Does the wife want one too? Can I afford to buy two right now?" (since the answer is almost always yes, lol)

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
For me its if I want it, and can afford it, I buy it. I tend to make impulse buys and regret it later. Thankfully tech can be resold.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I've become much more practical the older I get. I question, do I really need it and can I afford it. I'm not interested in always having the latest and greatest.

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
When ever I buy something new, I like to research on the product thoroughly and get a full review pros and cons diagnosis. I'm all about aesthetics and his the product works and performs. The user experience has to be awesome and the design outstanding. I'm a very visual person who like things that look good and obviously function to it expected capacity.
I also thing about price.....
With the 6 plus being so darn expensive $1230 for the 128bg version, I had to think about why I needed all the space and why this product was a have to get device. I laid down the features and usability aspects and knew this was a device I had to get to the fullest user experience (128gb).
I've never looked back.....
It's been awesome.
I recently bought a ps4 and boy have I been having a blast

Sent from my iPhone 6plus using Tapatalk

mlo22

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I usually ask myself..

What will I use it for?

Do I already have something similar to it?

Will it be useful to me in the future or is it something I would get tired of quickly?

I have an iPad mini that I don't use as much anymore now that I have my iPhone 6. So I'm shopping for my 1st (yay!!) Mac book and keep all of that in mind..