Does anyone use a chrome book here?

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Although many of us in sure use iPhones, iPads, and maybe even macs, I'm curious if anyone here perhaps own a chrome book and can comment on it? Honestly, I think these are pretty neat devices and am kinda thinking about picking one up. Although, for some reason I have trouble using non Apple stuff since they don't integrate as well as Apple products would, I'm thinking of picking up a chrome book instead of a pricier laptop or MacBook sunce all I think I'd need is web browsing, video watching, and etc. I'm not doing photo shop or anything.

What do you guys think?

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Its a matter of what you prefer, don't own a chrome book but have used one. and I really can't say I have any issues with it.
Just prefer my MacBook.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I've never had any use for the Chromebook because it doesn't do much but it's worth having around, especially if you don't have a iPad or laptop. Even though I don't have any use for it, I like them and I think you will too for those things named above.

Now I'm curious to see if others here are using Chromebooks. I have friends that do but they're heavy Android users.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
My dad has the Samsung chrome book...he bought it because, for some reason, he thought it would provide him with a full laptop experience (he had only had tower PC's up to that point). He was disappointed to find out that it was not. He WAS an android phone user by preference (until this past iPhone model which he bought and loves), but he calls his chrome book his "Android Laptop", because he said it's like having a smart phone OS on a laptop, and not much more.

I used it when I went over to his place for Thanksgiving...and I was actually kind of shocked since I had always thought it had a legitimate PC operating system on it. It definitely does not. And that's not to say it's not a great product for someone...I just can't imagine someone getting much use out of it if you had a tablet and smart phone already, because it really just seems like those things mixed with a laptop body.

LockOnTech

May 5, 2014
Visit site
I can safely say that if you plan to use a chromebook offline, then there is not a whole lot you can do with it. Microsoft recently made a chromebook competitor, I believe HP made it. There was a point where I was in the market for one but decided not to get it. If all you want is just a device to use the internet with, there are many devices that can do it. I probably would not recommend one since I already own a macbook.

Sent from my iPod touch 5th Gen using Tapatalk

mvpilot172

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a chrome book yet but I am considering one for my home. I have two daughters (6&9) who need to do more homework online for their school. Having a computer that easily customized for each user is the key I'm looking at. Windows is too much of an OS for one of these client laptops and slows it down. The idea would be to have one or two chrome books in the house and anyone could grab it sign in to Google and use it as they have it customized for relatively cheap.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
My dad has the Samsung chrome book...he bought it because, for some reason, he thought it would provide him with a full laptop experience (he had only had tower PC's up to that point). He was disappointed to find out that it was not. He WAS an android phone user by preference (until this past iPhone model which he bought and loves), but he calls his chrome book his "Android Laptop", because he said it's like having a smart phone OS on a laptop, and not much more.

I used it when I went over to his place for Thanksgiving...and I was actually kind of shocked since I had always thought it had a legitimate PC operating system on it. It definitely does not. And that's not to say it's not a great product for someone...I just can't imagine someone getting much use out of it if you had a tablet and smart phone already, because it really just seems like those things mixed with a laptop body.

I think it's pretty much a web browsing laptop that does nothing much other than do some simple word processing and also, of course, some web browsing. I don't think it set out to be that ultimate laptop...

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I would never get it since it requires an internet connection to function. It isn't really compatible with a lot of software.

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I would never get it since it requires an internet connection to function. It isn't really compatible with a lot of software.

Well, as often as you aren't here, I thought you didn't even have Internet...

But yeah, I agree. Chromebooks aren't very useful except for those with super fast internet and are heavy Google users.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I've used chromebooks for a few years now. Thoughts:

Ultra fast and ultra secure. It is virtually impossible to get anything bad on the machine and a full restart of thr computer takes minutes at most.

Offline app selection is limited, though improving. Lack of codecs for restricted media formats is frustrating. Chrome OS is a difficult platform to live with as a sole system. I use my Mac to make media and files that play nice with my chromebook.

Remote Desktop is amazing if you have a system at home. I remote into my Mac to do most serious work.

Lots of opportunities for hacking. I've loaded my own OS on my chromebook. Hardware is fine for running Linux.

My machine (1st gen HP14 4gb RAM) has a T-Mobile SIM so lack of wireless is not an issue in the city.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

LockOnTech

May 5, 2014
Visit site
That is one cheap PC, to be sure...I always fancy these when I am on the road because most of the time I am word processing and I don't need the full power of a full desktop caliber laptop.

The last time I had an inexpensive portable computer was an HP netbook I bought in 09', ran windows XP, had one gig of ram upgraded to 2 gig of ram, it was still slow as beans. Could not recommend although it looked nice, that was the only pro about it.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419773089.926670.jpg

Sent from my iPad mini 2 using Tapatalk

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so I know nothing about these Chromebooks but I have a valid question. My son got a Chromebook C300(?) by Asus from his gf for Christmas. What I need to know is does Chrome OS need an AV software installed or is it like a Mac and "defends" itself....any help would be greatly appreciated. If it does need AV Software, would you guys make suggestions as well. Thank you!

tapped out by my P!NK fingers on my iPad Air