What Happens When We Are Only As Smart As Our Smartphones...

sanibel

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I read a "cute" blog entry by Karen Hua, and it made me think...
Our reliance on smartphones: Is it healthy? Are we overdoing it? How do we balance this addiction?

Your thoughts are welcome!

LockOnTech

May 5, 2014
Visit site
I intend to not think about it, in the end it would only make people upset over the slightest things like over relying on smartphones now. It is probably no different than a person over relying on a calculator to solve every math problem.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The only real struggle is reliance...how much you allow yourself to rely on your various devices to survive your days. Lots of room on that spectrum for varying investments. I'm personally not reliant on my iPhone for things I couldn't live without...I recently took a week away with some friends to the mountains where we took our phones, tablets and computers, locked them in a safe and left them at home. 5 days with no electronic connection (aside from some football on TV that Saturday), and I must admit, it was refreshing...no obsessive Facebook status checking, no capturing of every slightly photogenic nature scene, no GPS, no communication outside of actually speaking to someone.

I felt awesome that week. I felt like if the time came and these items were rendered useless by some event...life would go on for me without much of a hiccup. I'd probably be more pissed I couldn't enjoy my expansive music collection as easily vs. other things...followed by the easy access to snap photo memories of life as it happens. Both things I grew up without, so I think it helps me accept the idea that it could return to that again.

Others, like my wife, would probably have a total and complete meltdown physically and mentally. Her connection to her iPhone flirts with insanity, but she relies on it for a lot more than I do, and I guess I can understand when you reach that level, just like a drug, it's something tough to think about breaking from if you had to. I guess for people like her, we probably won't ever have to.

I like getting off the grid from time to time. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
My addiction to technology is very unhealthy but only to my budget. I believe there are way worse things to be addicted to. I do know that if suddenly technology were to disappear, I'd have a very hard time adjusting. Not only does my job rely heavily on it but I do the same in my personal life as well.

I should probably do as Sean has and go off the grid. I grew up entirely off the grid with a very traditional old fashioned mother who didn't even let me have a T.V in my room. My first portable CD player was at around 13. Luckily she wanted me to have a regular radio as music was (and still is) the soundtrack to my life.

Grew up climbing trees, exploring the backyard, and watching my father fix cars with my brother. Perhaps even back then when looking under a hood of a car I knew. I knew I'd someday be obsessed with technology like I am now.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Isn't tech a part of basic daily electronics nowadays? I don't think people's minds are capped by our phones or tablets, but aided so to speak...

sanibel

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I like getting off the grid from time to time. I'd recommend it to anyone.
In our family, two days a week are "screen free" days. We play games, walk, swim, whatever... I love being off the grid and often look forward to those days.
Grew up climbing trees, exploring the backyard, and watching my father fix cars with my brother. Perhaps even back then when looking under a hood of a car I knew. I knew I'd someday be obsessed with technology like I am now.
This is precisely what I want my young daughter to experience..!

Isn't tech a part of basic daily electronics nowadays? I don't think people's minds are capped by our phones or tablets, but aided so to speak...
I believe addiction to gizmos is alive and well. I teach in high school and college and I see it *during* class time. What I took from the blog entry is that there's a place for balance even with daily electronics.

Last edited:

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
We're also in a digital world today.
Cell phones are turning into a necessity.
When used properly, they are a useful tool.

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I will admit that my addiction directly hurts my grades in school, and keeps me from doing other things I like doing such as reading(something that my devices should help, but there are too many distractions when trying to read on an electronic device).

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk