No more SIM Lock free iPhones in Japan?

Mojadus31

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
News today was that SIM Lock free iPhones are no longer sold in the Japanese Apple Stores nor the Apple Online Store. So far no reason was given only a comment that even the Apple Store staff didn't know why and was surprised by this decision.
Does anyone know more about this or when/if they will be available again?

Thanks

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
News today was that SIM Lock free iPhones are no longer sold in the Japanese Apple Stores nor the Apple Online Store. So far no reason was given only a comment that even the Apple Store staff didn't know why and was surprised by this decision.
Does anyone know more about this or when/if they will be available again?

Thanks

I haven't seen this. When you say it was news, who reported it?

Mojadus31

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I saw several articles in my news app but couldn't find them anymore ... so here a few links for reports after a google search ... it is presumed to have something to do with the weak yen. Checking the Japanese Apple Online Store I still can't order the iPhone 6 or 6 plus.

Edit: Because of my status I still can't post links here ... you will find some articles and blog entries when you search for "iphone 6 発売中止"

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Gotcha. I'll look for them on the train and add them here for you. (getting ready for work now and already late!)

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6

Mojadus31

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the link but that is not the issue I was talking about. It is correct that Japanese carriers only sell sim locked iPhones and that they won't unlock them even after your contract is over.
Nevertheless you were able to get the sim lock free version from the apple store directly right from the sales start. But this week they suddenly went out of sale and noone knows if or when they will be available again. Most articles I read were suggesting that this is a move made because of the weakening yen, but there is no official statement from apples side still. It didn't seem to have reached English sources that's why I thought I post it here :)

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Ah dang. No I couldn't find anything official either. I'm so sorry.

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2