What's the favorite thing you like about Macs?

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
It is still true today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Except when the wifi kicks out, or the system starts to lag with the latest update, or the latest update kills some third party application (I'm talking about minor updates at that), or a plethora of other things. Just head over to MacRumors and look at the 10.10 forum.

kellyjdrummer

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Except when the wifi kicks out, or the system starts to lag with the latest update, or the latest update kills some third party application (I'm talking about minor updates at that), or a plethora of other things. Just head over to MacRumors and look at the 10.10 forum.

I have had none of those problems in the 2 ? years I've owned my MacBook Pro, now running Yosemite. I will never own another Windows enabled machine. 12 years was too long. Expecting it to get better was a nightmare.

BTW, the thread title asked for what people "like," not what people "don't like."

Last edited:

MatLoz

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
Reliability ! Having spent these last days of this year trying to fix a windows problem, I was happy to also have a mac, which never had a single problem in 4 years

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Have a Windows Notebook, and it just works. Not sure what other people do to their PCs, but I haven't had a crash, blue screen or anything else go wrong with this PC. I haven't seen a virus since I got a CMOS boot sector virus off a BBS back when I was a freshman in high school using MS-DOS and Windows 3.11 on a [real] laptop computer (386SX FTW).

There are apps that I need that don't run on OSX, and I'm not paying almost twice as much cash just to run them on a Mac (considerably more expensive machine + boot camp + windows 8.1 license, etc.).

I love how Macs work with other Apple Products. I like how they come out of the box ready for light productivity and media editing tasks (iWork, iLife). Safari Reading List is nice.

I like OSX Notification Center.

But in the grand scene of things I don't find it any more or less usable than Windows, which is why I take the lower cost option. Still get over 7 hours off the charger with my notebook, too, which is way longer than in ever away from my charger (barely leaves the house).

Put an SSD in your Windows machine to boot faster and get faster performance. It's apples and oranges to compare an older W7 Notebook with slower RAM, older CPU and a platter drive and act like the Mac has transformed your life because it's setup performs better. Yea, more recent machines with better setups than you are upgrading from are going to blow your mind - regardless of what OS it's running.

That's possible on Windows. You just chose the Mac instead. Which is fine, just keep all that in perspective.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

pommes

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Yah I've gotten tired of Windows 8.1. It's meant for touchscreen devices and it doesn't translate well to my laptop. So.....since my laptop is old and I'll have to replace it soon, I'll just go all out and get myself my first MacBook Pro. I think it's the right that I went all in with Apple products. Each one I've tried has been a total success so....

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6

I've got a MBA (I've owned a polycarbonate iMac in 2006 that still work and a ibook G4 back in the days, my Dad has an aluminium iMacfrom 2009) but I guarantee that you'll love Macbooks!!! I don't think I've ever been disappointed with Apple computers. Their products always work without any bad surprises.My desktop computer is on Windows 8.1 but I'll definitely go back to Apple the next time!

Last edited:

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I love that the Mac is so reliable and that my MacBook Pro is so small and light (2011 13" version here). I was even able to do some work while at jury duty in the summer of 2011 thanks to that!

Geodude074

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
Not sure why people are complaining about viruses. I haven't had a virus on my PC in about 10 years. SSDs enable near-instant boot times for all OS's, doesn't matter if it's Windows or OSX. If you don't want apps running during startup, just disable them, it's not hard.

I would be the minority in this thread, since I have a PC I built myself. I love it though, because every part I picked out myself, from the case to the PSU. I can upgrade anything at anytime I want - later this year when Broadwell comes out, if I want a PC with a faster CPU I can just buy a Broadwell CPU and plop it in - no need to buy an entire new computer for increased speeds. I can use old parts anytime I want - I have a 500 GB HDD from 2007 that I'm still using and its sole function is to store my Steam games. If something breaks, I don't have to send in the entire computer for a repair - I can just RMA the broken part to the manufacturer and get a new part for free.

And of course the best part about my PC is, it was dirt cheap to build! Performance per price, compared to anything any OEM has to offer, my PC would blow it away. Not only do I get to customize my PC in any way I want, I save money in the process too.

It's great to be a geek lol.

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Not sure why people are complaining about viruses. I haven't had a virus on my PC in about 10 years. SSDs enable near-instant boot times for all OS's, doesn't matter if it's Windows or OSX. If you don't want apps running during startup, just disable them, it's not hard.

I would be the minority in this thread, since I have a PC I built myself. I love it though, because every part I picked out myself, from the case to the PSU. I can upgrade anything at anytime I want - later this year when Broadwell comes out, if I want a PC with a faster CPU I can just buy a Broadwell CPU and plop it in - no need to buy an entire new computer for increased speeds. I can use old parts anytime I want - I have a 500 GB HDD from 2007 that I'm still using and its sole function is to store my Steam games. If something breaks, I don't have to send in the entire computer for a repair - I can just RMA the broken part to the manufacturer and get a new part for free.

And of course the best part about my PC is, it was dirt cheap to build! Performance per price, compared to anything any OEM has to offer, my PC would blow it away. Not only do I get to customize my PC in any way I want, I save money in the process too.

It's great to be a geek lol.

So, since you haven't had a virus in ten years, then people shouldn't complain? /smh

kellyjdrummer

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
In 12 years with Windows, I had never had a virus, although the constant updates and BSODs were more than annoying. 2 1/2 years with Mac has been bliss. I could write a huge story about my issues with Windows and the various machines I've owned but I don't see the need.

Posted using electrons and pixels designed exclusively for the Galaxy Note 3.

Geodude074

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
So, since you haven't had a virus in ten years, then people shouldn't complain? /smh

Did I say that? Antivirus software has come a long way in the past 10 years, and a little common sense goes a long way. I guess the best protection against malware would be user experience, so the main reason why I haven't had a virus in 10 years is because I know how to avoid them by now.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
They need little maintenance, no drivers, easy to use, and they look great....;)

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
They need little maintenance, no drivers, easy to use, and they look great....;)

My Windows Notebook is Aluminum casing, and looks very nice. Though it can get very cold in the winter, so it's not a complete advantage.

However it costs almost half the price of a 13" MBA even though its specs (outside of screen resolution) are more in line with a 15" MBP Retina (and the GPU certainly is better than the Iris or Iris Pro graphics Apple is using). <$50 upgraded the RAM from 4 to 8GB.

Drivers aren't an issue. Those come through Windows Update or the Control Panel Software is sort of "install once, and it will keep itself up to date" (like AMD CCC, which keeps all the Chipset and Graphics drivers + more up to date from one place).

I did have some equipment for gaming (like a Nostormo) that I bought back in 2006, but the BETA Windows Vista Driver functions flawlessly in Windows 8.1. It's useless on a Mac because that OS isn't as good for compatibility as Windows, and therefore I have no driver for it!

I don't see how OSX is any easier to use than Windows. I have both the Windows Notebook and the MBA 13". The learning curve on both are equivalent and it depends largely on the user (and more specifically, what they are used to - which is why a lot of people cried about Windows 8 when it was released).

The Windows Machine gets 7 hours battery life off the charger easily. That's on par with the base MBP model. But it has twice the RAM, twice the HDD space, a way better GPU, and much better connectivity options for like... almost half the price. I could put an SSD in it for like $100 if I wanted, and it would likely perform like a $1300 MBP Retina. I may do that soon, I just have been trying to avoid having to clone drives and crap like that, Lol. Maybe have the Geek Squad do it for me, since I'm lazy.

I also find that while Macs are great for productivity, especially when paired with iDevices due to the great-quality bundled software and how it works across devices... Software options are way superior on Windows. There is a lot of money to be saved by using Windows as a Consumer/Prosumer in Media Editing apps, and there are some professional-class Video Analysis apps that aren't available for Mac (in fact, hardly any are available for OSX).

Love the MBA I have, but for real work I'm always on the Windows Machine. It has 20x the Software Options, gives you the capability to save hundreds or even thousands of dollars there... And you can get much cheaper machines that perform on par with or better than Macs that cost 3-4x as much.

Security isn't an issue. We've heard more scares about OSX in the past year or two than we have about Windows 8 or 8.1, and certainly more about Mobile devices (and they weren't Windows Phones). Windows has AV/AMW/FW built into the OS and it updates daily (literally) through Windows Update.

The Start Screen can and is an issue for some people. I don't use any Start Screen apps outside of PIM. I use Desktop Software. Windows 10 will bring the Menu Back but, I can understand some people's exasperation with the Start Screen. There is really no way to truly avoid it at this point, short of putting shortcuts to all of the apps you use on the Desktop (and who does that these days?!), Lol.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
My Windows Notebook is Aluminum casting, and looks very nice.

But it costs almost half the price of a 13" MBA even though its specs (outside of screen resolution) are more in line with a 15" MBP Retina (and the GPU certainly is better than the Iris or Iris Pro graphics Apple is using).

Drivers aren't an issue. Those come through Windows Update or the Control Panel Software is sort of "install once, and it will keep itself up to date" (like AMD CCC, which keeps all the Chipset and Graphics drivers + more up to date from one place).

I did have some equipment for gaming (like a Nostormo) that I bought back in 2006, but the BETA Windows Vista Driver functions flawlessly in Windows 8.1. It's useless on a Mac because that OS isn't as good for compatibility as Windows, and therefore I have no driver for it!

I don't see how OSX is any easier to use than Windows. I have both the Windows Notebook and the MBA 13". The learning curve on both are equivalent and it depends largely on the user (and more specifically, what they are used to - which is why a lot of people cried about Windows 8 when it was released).

The Windows Machine gets 7 hours battery life off the charger easily. That's on par with the base MBP model. But it has twice the RAM, twice the HDD space, a way better GPU, and much better connectivity options for like... almost half the price. I could put an SSD in it for like $100 if I wanted, and it would likely perform like a $1300 MBP Retina.

I also find that while Macs are great for productivity, especially when paired with iDevices due to the great-quality bundled software and how it works across devices... Software options are way superior on Windows. There is a lot of money to be saved by using Windows as a Consumer/Prosumer in Media Editing apps, and there are some professional-class Video Analysis apps that aren't available for Mac (in fact, hardly any are available for OSX).

Love the MBA I have, but for real work I'm always on the Windows Machine. It has 20x the Software Options, gives you the capability to save hundreds or even thousands of dollars there... And you can get much cheaper machines that perform on par with or better than Macs that cost 3-4x as much.

Security isn't an issue. We've heard more scares about OSX in the past year or two than we have about Windows 8 or 8.1, and certainly more about Mobile devices (and they weren't Windows Phones). Windows has AV/AMW/FW built into the OS and it updates daily (literally) through Windows Update.

The Start Screen can and is an issue for some people. I don't use any Start Screen apps outside of PIM. I use Desktop Software. Windows 10 will bring the Menu Back but, I can understand some people's exasperation with the Start Screen. There is really no way to truly avoid it at this point, short of putting shortcuts to all of the apps you use on the Desktop (and who does that these days?!), Lol.

Okay. Great. I didn't mean for my initial reply to trigger a _____ vs Mac debate. I simply answered the thread topic's question. I'm wise enough to understand that my views/rationale will not be shared by everyone, and that's fine with me. I prefer Macs, you prefer Windows. Cool!...;)

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Okay. Great. I didn't mean for my initial reply to trigger a _____ vs Mac debate. I simply answered the thread topic's question. I'm wise enough to understand that my views/rationale will not be shared by everyone, and that's fine with me. I prefer Macs, you prefer Windows. Cool!...;)

I have both a MBA and a Windows notebook.
I was pretty clear about that so I'm not sure why you think it's about what I prefer. I wouldn't spend $1,000 on a Mac if I preferred Windows. I'd have just bought an even better Windows Notebook.

I'm platform agnostic. What I do prefer is to be productive and to get the most value for my money. You can't do decent video analysis or editing on a middling Ultrabook.

What I stated was that Windows is a better productivity platform than the Mac, especially for consumers and Prosumers due to its depth of software options and the amount of cash you can save without sacrificing performance.

You don't have to have a preference to conclude that.

I'm just discussing the merits of both. It doesn't become a battle until people start telling others what they prefer, as if they think for them

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
-- snipped --

I'm just discussing the merits of both. It doesn't become a battle until people start telling others what they prefer, as if they think for them

"Windows is a better productivity platform than the Mac, especially for consumers and Prosumers due to its depth of software options and the amount of cash you can save without sacrificing performance."

You mean like that?...:)....Don't mind me. I'm just messing with you, and I do understand what you're saying. Have a great weekend.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Macs have dominated the music industry for years. This is why Apple has a Grammy. Traditionally Macs have been easier for musicians to use not having to worry about DOS errors years ago.
Macs were what you made music on which is why I went to Mac over 20 years ago.
Most people would be amazed at how many of their favorite songs are recorded, mixed and mastered on a Mac and have been for years.
Whenever you hear a song on Pandora and said "Mac" you would probably be correct 9 out 10 times.
When it comes to producing music and film price isn't a concern for a professional. Ease of use a familiarity is.
PC's are being used in professional audio applications but I believe Macs still very much dominate.
I would much rather spend 3K or more on a Mac Pro than 1K on a PC for my use. I could basically take a Mac Pro and plug it in to the wall and keep working. I couldn't do that with a PC.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative