Now that Apple has come out with a 5.5 inch phone...

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Do you think they will come out with a phone bigger than the Plus, to match perhaps the Nexus 6?

I personally am worried Apple might just do something like that...which is a silly move in my opinion.

What do you think? Voice out...

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
It's possible. 5.5 to 5.96 or 6.0?
I'm not worried about it. If something smaller is offered one can go with that.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Do you think they will come out with a phone bigger than the Plus, to match perhaps the Nexus 6?

I personally am worried Apple might just do something like that...which is a silly move in my opinion.

Maybe the iPhone 7 will go to a 6" screen in a body roughly the same size.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
If the 6" screen phones are selling like hotcakes, they'll probably jump in on that action. But they're not selling like hotcakes. Most people don't want a phone that huge. I don't. I just don't see the demand for a 6" screen causing Apple to say, "Oh, we need to make and sell those!". Nah! Won't happen.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I still think Apple would have done better to do a refresh of the 5s to join the iPhone 6, as they have that small phone market properly squared away but when they came out with the Plus they were going into riskier uncomfortable territory... Imo.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I still think Apple would have done better to do a refresh of the 5s to join the iPhone 6, as they have that small phone market properly squared away but when they came out with the Plus they were going into riskier uncomfortable territory... Imo.

There is no way that a refreshed 5S alongside the iPhone 6 as it stands would garner the same demand. Just look at what is going on now. There are still lines outside of Apple stores 8 weeks later. This is what happens when you make products that your consumer base is clamoring for. I still think if the iPhone 6 was the 4 inch on the 6 Plus was the 4.7", they would sell by the boat and boatloads like now though. But not to the point where the production in numbers doesn't come near the demand. I think Tim Cook admitted that in the conference call during the last earnings.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
There is no way that a refreshed 5S alongside the iPhone 6 as it stands would garner the same demand. Just look at what is going on now. There are still lines outside of Apple stores 8 weeks later. This is what happens when you make products that your consumer base is clamoring for. I still think if the iPhone 6 was the 4 inch on the 6 Plus was the 4.7", they would sell by the boat and boatloads like now though. But not to the point where the production in numbers doesn't come near the demand. I think Tim Cook admitted that in the conference call during the last earnings.
This could mean people want a phone above 5 inches according to demand and they don't care if it's Apple or any other manufacturer they just want a big big phone....

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
This could mean people want a phone above 5 inches according to demand and they don't care if it's Apple or any other manufacturer they just want a big big phone....

Well people wanted a bigger phone but from Apple. Many people probably did what I did and tried another platform for a while because they wanted that screen and it only furthered their desire for a big screen like that running iOS.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site

If they go bigger, it screws with resolutions and ppi. I don't really see it happening. As it is, I can barely use the current Plus. Given the bezels Apple needs, a 6" phone is just not usable. I'm already thinking of going down to 4.7" with the iphone 6S. Depends on what is announced.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

A big phone with iOS.
I didn't necessarily want a big phone. But I was intrigued by a big iPhone so I gave it a shot and I'm more than pleased with it. I think I would only go back to the smaller iPhone if the Plus was discontinued. There is nothing wrong with a 4.0 or 4.7 I just now prefer the 5.5.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
A big phone with iOS.
I didn't necessarily want a big phone. But I was intrigued by a big iPhone so I gave it a shot and I'm more than pleased with it. I think I would only go back to the smaller iPhone if the Plus was discontinued. There is nothing wrong with a 4.0 or 4.7 I just now prefer the 5.5.

Funny thing, now that I have the 6 and 6 Plus, when I need to use my wife's 5 or the kids 5c's they feel really small :)

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
A big phone with iOS.

Aside from not necessarily wanting a big phone (because I did), I share this sentiment. I would have easily upgraded to the iPhone 6 if that was all that was being released. I would have upgraded if the iPhone 6 came in the 4-inch factor, even. Because my desire to use a mobile device with iOS far outweighs the screen size. Which is something I learned on my own over the summer.

To play devil's advocate:

During the rumors of the two sizes I figured the bigger phone would cost $100 more simply based on the size and nothing more. The two phones would share the same hardware specs. I see now why Apple upped the specs on the Plus. To justify that extra cash to someone making the purchase. That someone is the already established iPhone user that uses the camera a lot and would love to have a display even more gorgeous than what was currently available. This person would overlook the gigantic size because it was worth putting up with in order to get those specs.

Look at the thread that Sean made in the 6 Plus sub-forum. I thought it brought up a really great question. If the iPhone 6 had the same features as the Plus, he would have opted for the iPhone 6 and so would have many others. Would he and the others have just upgraded for the 3rd straight year to a phone that had the same screen size?

http://forums.imore.com/iphone-6-pl...hosen-plus-model-vs-regular-sized-iphone.html

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I don't think we'll see a larger than 5.5" phone from Apple. Many think that the 5.5" size is large enough, to add to that would be a bad move IMO.

Fit24

Trusted Member
Aug 9, 2012
Visit site

If the demand is there then I think they'll eventually make one. I'm sure the option of a smaller phone will be available.

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I had a 4.7" HTC One (M7). I've had a few BlackBerries. I have a house full of Macs, iMac, iPod Nanos, Apple TV, iPads, ect. But never an iPhone. I always thought 4.7" was the perfect size. The 6+ came out, and I was wrong. When I finally got the wife to agree to a smart phone, she took my M7 and I went to a Q10. She complained that the phone was too big. She now has an iPhone 6, and she no longer complains about the phone being too big.

Will Apple go bigger than 5.5" ? Who knows. Maybe, if the demand is there. One thing I won't do is swear off a phone bigger than 5.5". I am glad I went with the plus and not the plain old six. 5.5" screen is plenty, for now. ;)

Funny thing, now that I have the 6 and 6 Plus, when I need to use my wife's 5 or the kids 5c's they feel really small :)

I have the plus, I feel the same way when I pick up the wife's 6.

ecr80

May 21, 2012
Visit site
i think that 5.5 is as far as i would go for now. I'm actually one of the people who thought that the i6+ was too big at the beginning, so i got a i6 instead, but now after seeing them in the wild. I'm thinking about getting a i6+ eventually.
And to answer the question I think Apple will make 5.5 work for at least another year, and they would go bigger if it made sense for them to.