Now that Apple has come out with a 5.5 inch phone...

emilyheming

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
I think that is equally a wise decision of bringing the smaller screen as per the market demand. As people has recetly experienced the bigger screen of iPhone 6 Plus, they might wish to turn to a smaller screen which is a far better comforatble when compared to iPhone 6 Plus.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I think that is equally a wise decision of bringing the smaller screen as per the market demand. As people has recetly experienced the bigger screen of iPhone 6 Plus, they might wish to turn to a smaller screen which is a far better comforatble when compared to iPhone 6 Plus.

I personally just think Apple came up with iPhone 6 Plus because of the Note series, and it felt like they just took the iPhone 6 and brought it to the bigger form factor without any thought of how they would improve the overall design of the rounded aluminium body to make better sense for the bigger phone.

It is like Apple just wanted to compete in the bigger phone space but didn't really think far beyond the work they put into the iPhone 6, which is why I think the effort put into the 6 Plus was more lackluster than I thought.

I felt if they could have stuck to the smaller phone while improving upon the iPhone 6 design language for it would have sufficed, but they obviously needed to create an Samsung Galaxy Note competitor to stifle the Korean electronics giant.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Well people wanted a bigger phone but from Apple. Many people probably did what I did and tried another platform for a while because they wanted that screen and it only furthered their desire for a big screen like that running iOS.

This is me as well.

The extra specs on the 6+ mean nothing to me. It's just plain too big. IMHO the iPhone 6 is right at the edge of being too big for me as well. If it wasn't so thin I probably would have gotten a 5s. The 2013 Moto X is the perfect size.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
This is me as well.

The extra specs on the 6+ mean nothing to me. It's just plain too big. IMHO the iPhone 6 is right at the edge of being too big for me as well. If it wasn't so thin I probably would have gotten a 5s. The 2013 Moto X is the perfect size.

I think for many the spruced up specs over the iPhone 5s on the 6 would have justified many people's decisions to get the bigger 6 Plus, with an added advantage (or excuse) of the bigger screen real-estate.

I can definitely see the benefit of that, no doubt.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
My Lumia 1520 is too big for a daily driver. It's a good companion device.

If Apple went bigger than the 6 Plus I'd go to the 6 Plus but I don't think I would go farther.

And somehow I don't think Apple is going to play keeping up with the Joneses. They went bigger because the demand was there. But I don't think they'll ever do something like the Samsumg Mega just fur scuzzz....

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
My Lumia 1520 is too big for a daily driver. It's a good companion device.

If Apple went bigger than the 6 Plus I'd go to the 6 Plus but I don't think I would go farther.

And somehow I don't think Apple is going to play keeping up with the Joneses. They went bigger because the demand was there. But I don't think they'll ever do something like the Samsumg Mega just fur scuzzz....

Precisely, I thought they just wanted a Note competitor out there and they did it. I don't think they will go bigger just for the sake too. As a matter of fact, I dearly hope not.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Unless they add added functionality for bigger touchscreens (stylus support or dual multitasking), I don't see the point.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Do you think they will come out with a phone bigger than the Plus, to match perhaps the Nexus 6?

I personally am worried Apple might just do something like that...which is a silly move in my opinion.

What do you think? Voice out...

I think they will keep 2 sizes like they have. No real need to go larger, apple beats to their own drum, so they most likely are not worried about niche devices like those 6+ inch phones.

wbeard385

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Haven't heard of anyone returning their 6 for the smaller 5S. Most say after two days use there no going back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Haven't heard of anyone returning their 6 for the smaller 5S. Most say after two days use there no going back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have seen several stories of people leaving their 6 to get a 5S. Some people just don't like bigger phones.

Derrick4Real

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
In response to the OP. I think it's unlikely. Possible but unlikely. I'd think that would involved the added expensive of a new design, though they may have already been working on such a thing in order to find the optimal size for the iphone 6 and 6 plus. That said, Apple tends to keep designs for a little while. They won't want to utterly cannibalized tablets. I'm guessing the market for giant phones is much smaller and that may be a deterrent. Especially given they have a ipad mini in the same range. One thing Jobs did when he returned was streamline their product offering and not have too much overlap. Now I think Cook may not really be making the same decision as Jobs would but i also think he probably doesn't want too many products to muddy the brand and the price points and give consumers too much choice to be confused with. Were I a betting man, oh I am. Never mind. If i was to guess I'd guess that the next few updates will focus more on software, spec bumps and if they are lucky maybe some genius new features or accessories. Off the top of my head i'd think Beats would be a big thing they could focus on. I know the geek crowd hates them. Doesn't really change things. Those headphones make that department self sufficient. I can see Apple coming on stage announcing a new Itunes radio which is basically beats and itunes radio slammed together. I could see maybe upgraded bluetooth beats pills. They have the new health app and maybe they want more accessories for it, integrating it with the Apple watch. I don't know but my gut thinks that the next Iphone will be more about adding software features and tweaking things.

Derrick4Real

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I have seen several stories of people leaving their 6 to get a 5S. Some people just don't like bigger phones.

If they'd offer the 5s size in the new shape i may have gone for that. Especially if it was cheaper.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
If they'd offer the 5s size in the new shape i may have gone for that. Especially if it was cheaper.

If the 5S was redone with modern internals (A8 Processor, with iPhone 6 Camera), I would definitely try to get one. I need a small flagship for my daily use, and one has not presented itself yet.

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
If the 5S was redone with modern internals (A8 Processor, with iPhone 6 Camera), I would definitely try to get one. I need a small flagship for my daily use, and one has not presented itself yet.

The 5S is still a beast. I don't think it's noticeably slower than the 6. I'm not sure about the camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
The 5S is still a beast. I don't think it's noticeably slower than the 6. I'm not sure about the camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is a good phone, but I would like the benefits of what the A8 processor brings in a even smaller package than what the iPhone 6 offers.

Derrick4Real

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
It is a good phone, but I would like the benefits of what the A8 processor brings in a even smaller package than what the iPhone 6 offers.

honestly, i had a 4s and i can't tell any difference between whatever that processor is and whatever the iphone 6 has speedwise. And it's a phone so unless it's as slow and laggy as my palm pre it's not gonna be a deal breaker for me. Meaning i'd be pretty easily satisfied. Honestly, the only really big selling points for me of the iphone 6 was new rounder shape and LTE since i was on a 4s with only 3G and a shell i wasn't fond of.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
honestly, i had a 4s and i can't tell any difference between whatever that processor is and whatever the iphone 6 has speedwise. And it's a phone so unless it's as slow and laggy as my palm pre it's not gonna be a deal breaker for me. Meaning i'd be pretty easily satisfied. Honestly, the only really big selling points for me of the iphone 6 was new rounder shape and LTE since i was on a 4s with only 3G and a shell i wasn't fond of.
I can tell the difference, you'll notice speed differences in web browsing, and games more importantly.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Between the 4S and 6, the speed difference is night and day by just opening and closing apps.

Do you think then that if a iPhone 5s refresh got the same externals as the 6 Plus, it would have just sold the same numbers as well? Or was the bigger sized device a much needed product in Apple's portfolio?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Do you think then that if a iPhone 5s refresh got the same externals as the 6 Plus, it would have just sold the same numbers as well? Or was the bigger sized device a much needed product in Apple's portfolio?

I think people were clamoring for a bigger screen for a while. I don't think the Plus was as much needed to satisfy those consumers as much as an iPhone coming with a generally larger screen as the iphone 6. That is what was much needed, in my opinion. Look at the crazy amount of iphones that have sold as of now. I truly don't believe they'd be the same numbers for a refreshed 4 inch device.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh