Is Apple just trying to persuade you that a watch is integral?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Having used smartphones now for the better part of 8 years, I don't think I ever found myself thinking "You know what would be cool? If I had a gadget-type watch!" I know Apple wasnt't the first to make a computer, smartphone, tablet, and now watch. But I'm starting to get the feeling that Apple is going to shove this stupid watch down my throat in the coming months. I swear to you that I wasn't moved at all by the announcement at the iPhone event with the "one more thing" thing. I thought it was really gimmicky. Not only that, I have an inkling that down the road there could be certain apps and services that won't work without a watch that would work just fine on only a phone.

I'm bracing myself for all the coverage the tech sites are going to give it, and how bored to death I will be of the coverage. I'm already bothered by the coverage the SDK has gotten. I understand that that's what comes with the territory though.

I'm not one to make posts about how much I don't like something. I'm making this post posing the question that the title is asking. Do you think Apple will sort of cripple what we have now in order to push a watch?

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I think Apple is smart enough to know that the smart watch category is not main stream. I think they would be shooting themselves in the foot if they crippled the booming smart phone market to try and sell more watches.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I should have used a better word than 'crippled' because it's overboard. Maybe the term should be "detracting" from the smartphone. I know that right now as it stands the SDK for development is reliant on the iPhone. The watch itself will be reliant on the iPhone. For now. There will come a time where the watch and its apps can be on their own. That's what worries me. That the development for the watch might one day get better than what is made for the phone.

sanibel

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I can certainly see the watch being integrated into the Apple ecosystem, I don't understand the fear. After all, the iPhone, iPod and iPad co-exist and pay dividends handsomely.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I should have used a better word than 'crippled' because it's overboard. Maybe the term should be "detracting" from the smartphone. I know that right now as it stands the SDK for development is reliant on the iPhone. The watch itself will be reliant on the iPhone. For now. There will come a time where the watch and its apps can be on their own. That's what worries me. That the development for the watch might one day get better than what is made for the phone.

I don't think this should be a problem for Apple or interested iWatch customers. As mentioned above, Apple has other products as well such as the iPad and they all seem play nicely with each other. I myself would not purchase and am not interested in the iWatch as I don't see the point in it. However, I do understand Apples need to keep up with the competition like Samsung for example.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Derrick4Real

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
i don't know what Apple is trying to do. We don't have conversations. And I don't care. I don't need a new watch. I only wear a watch with a suit and thus if i did buy a new watch it would be a nice dress watch meant for a more dressed up look. They can sell what they want. Good luck to them. If people like it enjoy. I just don't have a use for it. Plus there are literally hundreds of things i'd rather do with my money. These companies sell a product. I don't feel anybody's shoving anything down my throat. I'm not being forced to buy anything. People are free to buy it or not and move on like every other product people decide not to buy.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
i don't know what Apple is trying to do. We don't have conversations. And I don't care. I don't need a new watch. I only wear a watch with a suit and thus if i did buy a new watch it would be a nice dress watch meant for a more dressed up look. They can sell what they want. Good luck to them. If people like it enjoy. I just don't have a use for it. Plus there are literally hundreds of things i'd rather do with my money. These companies sell a product. I don't feel anybody's shoving anything down my throat. I'm not being forced to buy anything. People are free to buy it or not and move on like every other product people decide not to buy.

That's great.

Could you address the question I asked at the end of the original post?

LockOnTech

May 5, 2014
Visit site
No one; including apple, is forcing anyone or someone to like or to buy the watch. I would like to accept that we can have more variety, I am excited to see what it would look like in person.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Fit24

Trusted Member
Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm not one to make posts about how much I don't like something. I'm making this post posing the question that the title is asking. Do you think Apple will sort of cripple what we have now in order to push a watch?

I don't think Apple will do anything to detract from the iPhone, which is their best selling product. I think of the watch as an option that may be a selling point for some people, resulting in increased sales for Apple.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I see the watch being a extension of the iPhone. Like the iPhone was a extension of the Mac. Now it seems the Mac is a extension of the iPhone with regular texts and phone calls on the Mac.
I don't see the watch detracting from the phone. Of course Apple would like customers to have at least one of every device so I'm sure there will features for watch and phone that will make it seem like necessity. Apple has a way of creating a need for their devices which is good business and marketing.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The Watch is useless as far as I'm concerned. I can see health minded users using it while jogging or otherwise working out. But that ain't me. I do well to barely get around without a cane. But I always have my iPhone with me. I never have liked wearing a watch. I don't think the Watch will detract from anything. They'll sell some, and a good portion of those will end up in a drawer.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

LockOnTech

May 5, 2014
Visit site
I don't think Apple will do anything to detract from the iPhone, which is their best selling product. I think of the watch as an option that may be a selling point for some people, resulting in increased sales for Apple.

Perhaps a selling point for users who own a iPhone 4s, 5, or 5s.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Have you used the pebble smart watch , I suggest you go play with a smart watch and you'll understand the possibility, ps Apple like most markets is not the innovator here, it did not create the concept of the smart watch. But it does a great job of introducing the possibilities of a technology to the masses.

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
I think Apple is smart enough to know that the smart watch category is not main stream. I think they would be shooting themselves in the foot if they crippled the booming smart phone market to try and sell more watches.

This is why Apple management runs a near trillion dollar company and you don't. Wearable tech is the wave of the future, it's about how we integrate with the machines around us, human-machine interface. Smart watches will absolutely become mainstream much like a pair of contact lenses that will interface to the environment around you, when we can shrink the concept of Google glass down to that level.

Think bigger and see the vision, the vision isn't about a watch or not a watch.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Have you used the pebble smart watch , I suggest you go play with a smart watch and you'll understand the possibility, ps Apple like most markets is not the innovator here, it did not create the concept of the smart watch. But it does a great job of introducing the possibilities of a technology to the masses.

I don't want wearable tech which is why I'm quick to dismiss it. That's why I'm not going to try the Pebble. I don't want anything on my wrist.

I understand that Apple isn't the first which is what I pointed out so I understand how they change and make things better on current tech. I just don't want to one day not be able to do something that requires me to be tethered to a watch if it is something I can easily do on my phone. This is just a feeling I'm getting which speaks to Apple's genius. That they can take current technology and totally reshape and change it. I think that's wonderful. But at the end, I don't want to wear a watch.

GSOgymrat

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Apple has a history of giving consumers devices they didn't even know they wanted. There are many people who are just waiting in antici... pation to see what Apple will do with this watch. I do agree there is an annoying air of hype around wearables. Technology is moving at a blazing speed and investors, tech gurus, fashonistas and many others want "the next big thing" to be wearables, whether we like it or not.

Personally, if a watch can operate independently I would be interested but I don't want a device that is a second screen for a phone. I have a Microsoft Band, which is a fitness device, and the main reason I bought it is because it has a built in GPS so I don't have to carry my phone when I run and it can give me notifications, track my steps, calories, sleep, etc. If a watch allows me to go out to dinner and leave my phone I'm interested but otherwise I doubt I would use it. Granted, I am not your typical consumer and I am not Apple's target demographic. I think most people realize that Apple will release a stylish, refined device that the general public will be lining up to buy.

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
I think some or missing the point, it's not about wearing a device, it's the seamless dissemination of information without being intrusive to your life, blending the line between man and machine. Because people wear watches and often forget they even have them on its even less intrusive than a phone , that's the point of wearables, it's the integration and functionality that's possible. Aside from the obvious intelligence being built into something that was previously unconnected to the machines and environment around it.id stop thinking about that it's a watch and start looking at the vision to understand.it could be anything a necklace, a ring, whatever ...

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I think some or missing the point, it's not about wearing a device, it's the seamless dissemination of information without being intrusive to your life, blending the line between man and machine. Because people wear watches and often forget they even have them on its even less intrusive than a phone , that's the point of wearables, it's the integration and functionality that's possible. Aside from the obvious intelligence being built into something that was previously unconnected to the machines and environment around it.id stop thinking about that it's a watch and start looking at the vision to understand.

Wearing a watch IS intrusive. It doesn't matter how many people wear watches and forget they have them on. I've worn watches in the past and they make their presence felt. I don't care how well it'll integrate with my stuff. The fact of the matter is that I would have to wear it. I don't like it.

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Wearing a watch IS intrusive. It doesn't matter how many people wear watches and forget they have them on. I've worn watches in the past and they make their presence felt. I don't like it.

Ok, Hberg it's not for you. Maybe for you it would be a shirt, who knows, although you change your shirt everyday ... The point is changing how we interface with machinery and better connecting the machinery around us. Computers used punch cards at one point and vacuum tubes, and we're stand alone, Xerox didn't recognize the power of a mouse, and pointing and clicking, but ultimately it revolutionized how we interfaced with machines, now we have voice ... Next wearables, again stop thinking about the what it is, and look at how you are interacting with a machine. That's the point.