How I arrived to the decision of getting an iPhone and what I think about iOS and the phone itself

Nikito27

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
The story of how I arrived to the decision of buying an iPhone and what I think about it.
Let me start off by saying that this is my personal opinion and by no means the truth. Comments are well accepted and I'm looking forward to them, but any type of insult is just a demonstration of ignorance.

Let's start now:
I started off as a blackberry user around 3/4 years ago (my first smartphone) and obviously BB10 wasn't out yet so I won't comment on that OS. I had a pretty decent experience with blackberry, but I can't make comparisons as the system was dated and as proof of that BB10 was released soon after.
After my phone fell in the water (poor BB torch!), I decided I really liked the Motorola Razr Maxx for it's battery life and so I became an Android user.
The phone was really well built, I had no type of lag whatsoever (yes, Android did not lag) and no complains except for the fact that I found Android to be quite "messy" and the camera was really bad (probably because at the time all phones had bad cameras).
Unfortunately the phone fell and the screen cracked.
At this point I tried both android and BB, but neither satisfied me. Blackberry was immature and android just too darn messy, so I went for a just released Lumia 920.
First of all Nokia's legendary build quality is just a legend. With every Nokia phone I owned (from the 920 onwards) I always had some kind of problem! People have told me that I was unlucky, I don't doubt that, but probability tells me that the average Nokia smartphone is not that great when it comes to build quality.
A part from that I liked windows phone 8, the cameras on Nokia phones are phenomenal (best I have ever tried), I found the interface intuitive, fresh and I really liked the live tiles!
Problem was that only with 8.1 did WP become really "mature" (still behind others in some aspects).
I owned a 1520 and a 930 too.
Great operating system, but I decided to change because of the low quality of Nokia smartphones, the bad Nokia assistance and the lack of apps.
Let's talk about that: I know the app situation is getting better and better and that almost most major apps are there, but truth is that the quality of the apps is not on par with other OS's and that when my friends were downloading the new latest app I always had to wait for a fair amount of time (or for ever).
Isn't a smartphone also about being social and having fun with apps and friends?
Windows phone just did not let me do that: snapchat, ruzzle, hay day, bank app, nfl fantasy, watsapp (I know some examples are stupid, but I bought a smartphone and I want the full package! Not just MS office, but stupid games i can play with friends and have a laugh!).
These are the reasons why I kept jumping between Nokia and Android.
After the 920 I got a Vivo Xplay, after the 1520 an Xperia z1 and z1 compact.
And the reason why I never decided to stick with android is because of the messiness of Android! Truth is that on flagships (except Samsung) android does not lag and has no problem running, but the openness of the OS leads to a feeling of: it's just not fluid enough, it just does not feel right, it's just a mess of different styles!
I know you can customize android as you like and that fanatics love to develop and keep changing ROM, but in my opinion for the average person it's just a mess and everything just does not speak the same design/functionality language.
Furthermore I always found myself looking for accessories for my android phones on the Internet because there was simply no shop in Milan that had cases or anything for a Sony phone! No accessories are made for all android phones, therefore it is almost impossible to find something for your phone! (Except Samsung, but Samsung is really bad).
At the end I said to myself: why not try an iPhone?! The 6 just came out and it has the screen size that you like (4.5 inches or more).
Since then I'm a happy user.
iOS is just the most mature, supported, best looking and fluid system there is nowadays.
Plenty of mediastores in Milan (shops dedicated to Apple only), plenty of apps, accessories, great support and finally the sensation of: it actually just works!
I finally have all the apps, I finally can buy thousand of different accessories and the OS is just really nice looking!
An iPhone is not just a phone, but a club, a status symbol, it's just something that feels right and "just works".
Crazy prices, but you pay for everything that is behind the iPhone, not just the phone itself.
Just one thing Apple: next time try to have more megapixels!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The iPhone is a quality device that many of us enjoy using. It's not perfect, and some people do not like the simplicity of iOS. Is it the iPhone a "club"? Not in my opinion. Is it a "status symbol"? Some people see it that way and many believe that it is. Personally, the iPhone, especially the original model, were indeed viewed as a status symbol primarily because there was no subsidized pricing for it. To me, it is an elegant, well-made and easy to use smartphone that "just works" for me....:)

Nikito27

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
The iPhone is a quality device that many of us enjoy using. It's not perfect, and some people do not like the simplicity of iOS. Is it the iPhone a "club"? Not in my opinion. Is it a "status symbol"? Some people see it that way and many believe that it is. Personally, the iPhone, especially the original model, were indeed viewed as a status symbol primarily because there was no subsidized pricing for it. To me, it is an elegant, well-made and easy to use smartphone that "just works" for me....:)

What I mean by club is this: here in Italy, or at least Milan, every business man of a certain relevance owns a Blackberry (usually given by the company) and an iPhone that they use as a personal phone.
Why, you might ask.
It's because the iPhone is "trendy", but it's also because usually these people just want something that does really well what it's supposed to do.
When they buy an iPhone they don't care about mods and stuff like that, the phone is not the object of interest, but a mean to do something else.
Owning an Android phone immediately tells people that you are a tech enthusiast or that your not very wealthy (low end android phones).
Owning a windows phone usually means you are not very wealthy ( no one has high end windows phones, just low end ones).
Owning an iPhone (only if it's the latest one though) immediately suggests that you are someone of a certain social group.
This is obviously not necessarily true, but in some way it's what happens in people's minds ( the ones I spoke to at least).
This is what I mean by being part of a "club". Every single person that I know that lives in the "centre" of Milan and that is of a certain "class" owns an iPhone.
I hope I was clearer and that I explained myself :)
Obviously situations in different countries are different (sorry for the repetition!)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
What I mean by club is this: here in Italy, or at least Milan, every business man of a certain relevance owns a Blackberry (usually given by the company) and an iPhone that they use as a personal phone.
Why, you might ask.
It's because the iPhone is "trendy", but it's also because usually these people just want something that does really well what it's supposed to do.
When they buy an iPhone they don't care about mods and stuff like that, the phone is not the object of interest, but a mean to do something else.
Owning an Android phone immediately tells people that you are a tech enthusiast or that your not very wealthy (low end android phones).
Owning a windows phone usually means you are not very wealthy ( no one has high end windows phones, just low end ones).
Owning an iPhone (only if it's the latest one though) immediately suggests that you are someone of a certain social group.
This is obviously not necessarily true, but in some way it's what happens in people's minds ( the ones I spoke to at least).
This is what I mean by being part of a "club". Every single person that I know that lives in the "centre" of Milan and that is of a certain "class" owns an iPhone.
I hope I was clearer and that I explained myself :)
Obviously situations in different countries are different (sorry for the repetition!)

I understand what you're saying, and I'm sure it is as you've stated in your location. I'm just at odds with the stereotypes, I suppose. I mean, some wealthy people own non-Apple devices and some non-wealthy people also own iPhones. I've learned over the years that more people than not project an image that is at odds with their income, and they're going broke trying to fit in. I've been to gorgeous homes in upscale neighbors where the lawn is impeccable, the cars are nice and the drapes stayed closed because the residents inside slept on the floor because they had no furniture whatsoever. I've also seen millionaires & billionaires drive around in old beat up trucks and dressing in clothes not purchased at high end stores, and they were at peace using low end non-smartphones. Anyway, great reply and thanks for the update...:)

Nikito27

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
I understand what you're saying, and I'm sure it is as you've stated in your location. I'm just at odds with the stereotypes, I suppose. I mean, some wealthy people own non-Apple devices and some non-wealthy people also own iPhones. I've learned over the years that more people than not project an image that is at odds with their income, and they're going broke trying to fit in. I've been to gorgeous homes in upscale neighbors where the lawn is impeccable, the cars are nice and the drapes stayed closed because the residents inside slept on the floor because they had no furniture whatsoever. I've also seen millionaires & billionaires drive around in old beat up trucks and dressing in clothes not purchased at high end stores, and they were at peace using low end non-smartphones. Anyway, great reply and thanks for the update...:)

It is all really stereotypical and it makes me giggle that smartphones are a part of our life in such a way that they have become part of a stereotype.
I just realized that I might have sound snob with my earlier reply.
My point wasn't that I believe in such stereotypes and like to be part of them, but it was that when you buy an iPhone you also buy this image, this "club". It is all part of the package (and the price) :)
I personally don't care much about that in particular, I'm just happy that I finally found a phone that I think is right for me and makes me happy :)
Cheers to everyone!

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for introducing yourself. I agree with both you and JustMe'D in part.

I do agree that initially the iPhone was seen as a status symbol in many circles. It's still seen as a status symbol in some circles now, just not as many as before. Personally, my foremost decision when buying something is reliability. Sure, the form of the device does play a factor but it's not high on my particular list.

A club though? Admittedly, I don't live in your country so can't comment on that and I totally understand your views on how it might appear too, being that you will obviously have farm ore knowledge on your locale than I. In my neck of the woods, it is definitely not a club though; far from it in fact.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It is all really stereotypical and it makes me giggle that smartphones are a part of our life in such a way that they have become part of a stereotype.
I just realized that I might have sound snob with my earlier reply.
My point wasn't that I believe in such stereotypes and like to be part of them, but it was that when you buy an iPhone you also buy this image, this "club". It is all part of the package (and the price) :)
I personally don't care much about that in particular, I'm just happy that I finally found a phone that I think is right for me and makes me happy :)
Cheers to everyone!

It's all good, and I didn't perceive you as a snob or anything.......I read all day long and try to reply to things that pique my interest, and your comments did just that. There was nothing wrong with what you typed so keep on expressing yourself, my friend...:)...Anyway, thanks again, and enjoy the rest of your day.

Nikito27

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for introducing yourself. I agree with both you and JustMe'D in part.

I do agree that initially the iPhone was seen as a status symbol in many circles. It's still seen as a status symbol in some circles now, just not as many as before. Personally, my foremost decision when buying something is reliability. Sure, the form of the device does play a factor but it's not high on my particular list.

A club though? Admittedly, I don't live in your country so can't comment on that and I totally understand your views on how it might appear too, being that you will obviously have farm ore knowledge on your locale than I. In my neck of the woods, it is definitely not a club though; far from it in fact.

Maybe the word club is not the right one for what I'm trying to say, I'm sorry for that.
You understood exactly what I meant, status symbol is the key word here.
By club I was trying to indicate a status symbol that actually tells something about you and where you come from. It was meant to be a kind of superlative. I understand that club had a precise meaning in correct english (the one I unfortunately don't know very well ;) ) and it's really not the one I'm trying to give it.
Just one example.
Here in Milan there are two important universities: Bocconi and Politecnico.
The first one is private and therefore really expensive, wile the second one is public and at everyone's reach.
At Bocconi the majority on students own iPhones and Macs, at Politecnico Android and windows notebooks.
Owning an iPhone ( and Mac) makes you feel a little bit part of the world of Bocconi.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73