How do you feel about Pay not coming to Walmart or Best Buy?

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
This article states that Apple is getting some pretty good deals on bank transaction fees with Pay. But it also says that both Best Buy and Walmart will NOT be accepting payments from the new Apple NFC service. I guess those places prefer less secure payment processes.

Part of the concern stems from new out-of-network payment initiatives created by consortiums made up of powerful retailers, like the Merchant Customer Exchange, which counts Walmart and Best Buy as members. Not coincidentally, the two big-box stores on Thursday announced they will not be accepting Apple Pay.

"There are schemes that don't respect and honor the payment networks," said MasterCard's SVP for mobile product development James Anderson. "We want to invest in programs that respect our role in the ecosystem."

Apple Pay nets favorable transaction fees from banks, denied support from Walmart and Best Buy

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
re:

Probably waiting to see how it goes over, think they will come on board at some point.

I don’t know. The quote is by some guy in a consortium that sounds like he’s protecting his own. Maybe Apple was wanting more than they were willing to give. Of course, these things have a way of working out in the end.

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
re:

I don’t know. The quote is by some guy in a consortium that sounds like he’s protecting his own. Maybe Apple was wanting more than they were willing to give. Of course, these things have a way of working out in the end.

Hope so, think Apple is actually on to something with this Apple pay.

BBFunGuy

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
re:

What is wrong with those guys? Why dont they just bend over and accept Apple's proprietary NFC standards? Weird.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
re:

Hope so, think Apple is actually on to something with this Apple pay.

I've been reading a lot about this new payment method and still not completely sold on it. But if it's to take off and go mainstream it will be Apple that does it

applefanboi

May 31, 2011
Visit site
re:

I'm not worried about Walmart. I do very little shopping there, if ever. I do hope Target decides to pick up on this, though. I also hope Best Buy comes around... I do quite a bit of shopping for my electronics there (for Apple products its my go-to)...

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
re:

I'm not worried about Walmart. I do very little shopping there, if ever. I do hope Target decides to pick up on this, though. I also hope Best Buy comes around... I do quite a bit of shopping for my electronics there (for Apple products its my go-to)...

Target was mention in the announcement keynote as being on board.

richard451

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
re:

It's because those retailers are using CurrentC. To save people unexpected grief when they start to realize Apple Pay will be hamstrung, here are some popular places where Apple Pay will not be accepted:

Walmart, Shell, Wendys, Southwest, Target, KMart, Lowes, Kohls, 7-11, Bed bath and Beyond, Old Navy, Gap, Best Buy, CVS, Exxon, Rite Aid, Sams Club, Costco, Sears, Chillis, Dicks, 76, Dunkin Donuts.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
re:

It's because those retailers are using CurrentC. To save people unexpected grief when they start to realize Apple Pay will be hamstrung, here are some popular places where Apple Pay will not be accepted:

Walmart, Shell, Wendys, Southwest, Target, KMart, Lowes, Kohls, 7-11, Bed bath and Beyond, Old Navy, Gap, Best Buy, CVS, Exxon, Rite Aid, Sams Club, Costco, Sears, Chillis, Dicks, 76, Dunkin Donuts.

Target WILL accept Pay. They are a member of both organizations (CurrentC and an Pay partner). They were also demoed at the iPhone launch. I am sure others from your list will/have signed on with Apple, as well.

Why Walmart and Best Buy aren't backing Apple Pay

richard451

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
re:

Target will accept Apple Pay via the iOS app. Target retail stores will not as they (as did Walmart) removed the NFC scanners years ago. In fact it appears all of the MXC merchants removed their NFC terminals (7-11 was the most recent).

It's possible things could change, but Apple pay would have to be a huge deal instead of floundering like Passport did.

I'd be more concerned if wireless carriers are going to support Apple Pay before I worried about the retailers.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
re:

I would hope that Best Buy would eventually hop on, but Target and Walmart? I'd shop anywhere before I shop there.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner