WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
What kind of impact would the following pledge have on your life and even the mobile industry as a whole?

I pledge to:

1. Not upgrade my phone/tablet unless I NEEDED (not because I want or because I am eligible) to upgrade.
2. Only to buy accessories upon initial purchase of mobile devices based on protective and functional needs. And with the idea that they would only be replaced upon damage or failure to perform as they did in the original state in which items were purchased.
3. To only buy/download apps that I actually use.

Just those three things. What kind of impact would it have? Bad or good? What are your thoughts?

agarwal.apar

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
What kind of impact would the following pledge have on your life and even the mobile industry as a whole?

I pledge to:

1. Not upgrade my phone/tablet unless I NEEDED (not because I want or because I am eligible) to upgrade.

Good - People would become slightly richer as they won't spend on phones unnecessarily . Parents would be the MOST happy people on earth.. lol
Bad - Companies revenue will slide a bit.

2. Only to buy accessories upon initial purchase of mobile devices based on protective and functional needs. And with the idea that they would only be replaced upon damage or failure to perform as they did in the original state in which items were purchased.

Good - Again, people would save money
Bad - 3rd party who makes accessories, their revenue will certainly go for a toss

Good - Again, money saved
Bad - A big blow to the developers

Just those three things. What kind of impact would it have? Bad or good? What are your thoughts?

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site

I pledge to:

My life:
1. I'd still have my 4S but would likely have upgraded from my iPad 2 by now

2. I wouldn't have a case probably because I only buy screen protectors initially and then I find a case that will fit my needs later.

3. I'd have most of the apps I keep on my device but I probably wouldn't have found some of the great apps that I currently use because I wouldn't have been tempted to explore the App Store

Mobile Industry:
Sounds like revenues would generally be down and less of the great smaller developers and accessory makers would likely not exist

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
1. Define "NEED". Everyone would likely have a different definition and level of "need". Arguably no one "needs" a smartphone at all.

2. Different (and changing) situations likely would warrant different accessories. For example, a Lifeproof case might be desirable for certain situations but the user might not want it on the phone at all times. And Otterbox case might be fine but then the user might want something less bulky. The case (in both situations) still works as they originally did but the situations may have changed.

3. How is the user to know in advance whether they will actually use the app? Perhaps (from the description) they thought it work work a particular way but after using it, discovered that the functionality was different.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
It would be good for my bank account, but not for me. I'd go insane! Plus after a few years, the phones would begin slowing down and not getting as many features as the new phones, which would drive me crazy haha :)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
If we started this second, I'd probably just have my iPhone 5S for a long long time...it seems that only in the last couple of years did the iPhone 3G's really just become unusable and unsupported, and that phone came out like 6 years ago, so thinking about that, sometime in 2019, the 5S might start becoming unusable and this minimalistic necessitative lifestyle would probably just lead me away from smart phones all together.

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
If we started this second, I'd probably just have my iPhone 5S for a long long time...it seems that only in the last couple of years did the iPhone 3G's really just become unusable and unsupported, and that phone came out like 6 years ago, so thinking about that, sometime in 2019, the 5S might start becoming unusable and this minimalistic necessitative lifestyle would probably just lead me away from smart phones all together.

One of the great things about having an Apple device is that it is supported for so long. Taking the pledge with an iPhone could be a lot easier than with another device.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

I pledge to:

I pledge to fully and totally ignore this pledge. Buying is what makes the free market system work. I can afford it, so I will do it. And I will pass my older equipment along - give them to family members, sell them on eBay, Craigs List and other outlets, or store them in boxes in my collection of older Apple wares.

Out.

Coachbulldog

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I pledge to:

Interesting concept but unworkable for me. I like getting a new iPhone every two years because there is always something that makes it worth it for me. For instance, I like the slightly larger screen size my 5s has compared to the 4s.

No need for me to take the pledge here because I'm already doing it. I'm not into accessories at all. I get a simple, black protective case when I get a phone and in all instances it has lasted the entire time I used the phone. Also, I only download apps I use except for a few games on my phone that my grandchildren play.

It would mean fewer phones sold but the biggest impact I can think of would be to app developers and the availability of apps. Because of Apple's business model and consumer behavior, Developers know they will have to update and/or improve their app every year because so many consumers will be getting the new phone. There would be less incentive for developers to do that if folks hang on to their old phones longer.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site

I pledge to:

I would be rich.

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Oh I buy so much tech it's obscene.

I could have remodeled my bathroom.

Ha. If I had stuck with the iPhone when I got the first one 7 years ago and just upgraded every two years like I was supposed to, I would have ended up with the same iPhone 5S that I have now. And probably would have saved thousands of dollars. And not just one phones and accessories, but I would have saved on the apps, movies, music, etc. that I had purchased on other platforms.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Ha. If I had stuck with the iPhone when I got the first one 7 years ago and just upgraded every two years like I was supposed to, I would have ended up with the same iPhone 5S that I have now. And probably would have saved thousands of dollars. And not just one phones and accessories, but I would have saved on the apps, movies, music, etc. that I had purchased on other platforms.

I used to be a serial BlackBerry buyer. Three years ago I bought five devices, cash. 9900, 9930, 9810, 9860, 9360. In 2013 I got a Z10 cash full price and then a used Q10. Before that I'd bought a 9800, 9310, 9700, 9000, and 8310.
I also got an Atrix, an SGII, and an SGIII.
I've also bought an iPhone 3GS, a 4, a 5, and my current 5s.

Like I said, I could have remodeled my bathroom.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I used to be a serial BlackBerry buyer. Three years ago I bought five devices, cash. 9900, 9930, 9810, 9860, 9360. In 2013 I got a Z10 cash full price and then a used Q10. Before that I'd bought a 9800, 9310, 9700, 9000, and 8310.
I also got an Atrix, an SGII, and an SGIII.
I've also bought an iPhone 3GS, a 4, a 5, and my current 5s.

Like I said, I could have remodeled my bathroom.

I haven't had as many blackberry's, I've bought 4 models.

I owned every top model Sidekick starting at the 2 (powered by danger & last on Microsoft).

I've owned almost every flagship android device since the G1 came about; Every samsung (except the S5) and HTC phone.

I've literally bought every iPhone there has been (every year) besides the 5c and I'm thinking of selling my 5s before i6 launch and I'll be rocking a 5c until then; then give it to my grandma. Her 4s is spazzing. Oh and between the 3/3GS/4/4S/5 I've owned both colors of each. 5s is the 1st year I've stuck with ONE phone.

Let's not forget I'm an accessory junk.

That's a down payment on a house, right? Lol

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I haven't had as many blackberry's, I've bought 4 models.

I owned every top model Sidekick starting at the 2 (powered by danger & last on Microsoft).

I've owned almost every flagship android device since the G1 came about; Every samsung (except the S5) and HTC phone.

I've literally bought every iPhone there has been (every year) besides the 5c and I'm thinking of selling my 5s before i6 launch and I'll be rocking a 5c until then; then give it to my grandma. Her 4s is spazzing. Oh and between the 3/3GS/4/4S/5 I've owned both colors of each. 5s is the 1st year I've stuck with ONE phone.

Let's not forget I'm an accessory junk.

That's a down payment on a house, right? Lol

Yup! Quite possibly so!

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
I've actually been considering this lifestyle.... But it probably wouldn't last long

Sent from my iPad Mini