So how exactly is Apple losing marketshare to Google's Android platform?

Tre Lawrence

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Depending on how one defines "marketshare".... Apple and Android are both "winning" or "losing".

Good point. I say both are winning.

I'm in the minority though in that I believe Apple will need to adjust its mobile strategy with regards to maintaining its front-runner status over the long term.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

I'm in the minority though in that I believe Apple will need to adjust its mobile strategy with regards to maintaining its front-runner status over the long term.

Definitely, you can't continue to have the same business model forever.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site

I think they have the high-end US market on a pretty good hold, but they will definitely have to change their business strategy if they want to dominate the Chinese market. The problem is, I don't see Apple doing this. They have always been the company that sells to people who want the very best, not the company who tries to sell to every person on the planet.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I think they have the high-end US market on a pretty good hold, but they will definitely have to change their business strategy if they want to dominate the Chinese market. The problem is, I don't see Apple doing this. They have always been the company that sells to people who want the very best, not the company who tries to sell to every person on the planet.

Everyone on the planet can't at least have the choice to have an iPhone? So many people get cut out of having an iPhone because of this business model, and you see it as a plus, but too many that is a negative, and that is why Apple has such little market share outside of the U.S., hell I would wager if they didn't have so much mind share here, their profits definitely wouldn't be where they are.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Nope. Everyone can't have the choice of an iPhone. Just like everyone can't have a choice to drive a Ferrari or own a Gucci bag, etc.

That seems elitist. Wouldn't as a company goal be to maximize profit? Couldn't they do that by catering to more users? Or is the luxury image something that you don't want them to lose?

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
And I hope they keep the high end model. There are enough low end phones out there.

They could set an example of low end phones support and how low end phones should be able to operate.

Les74

May 30, 2011
Visit site
No more elitist than Ferrari not giving me a luxury sports car for the same price I currently pay for a Honda Accord.

^^ This!

Besides, lower income people CAN afford an iPhone. It wouldn't be the latest model, but they can get an older one at low cost.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums app

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
No more elitist than Ferrari not giving me a luxury sports car for the same price I currently pay for a Honda Accord.

Car and smartphone analogies don't work here, as they are totally different industry's. A true Ferrari is something like Vertu or the BlackBerry Porches design, true luxury devices. The iPhone is a consumer device, wouldn't it be better suited to be open to more consumers?

There are true luxury phones, an iPhone is not a luxury anymore when most to all high end devices are in the same price range.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
^^ This!

Besides, lower income people CAN afford an iPhone. It wouldn't be the latest model, but they can get an older one at low cost.

*sigh* It is not lower income people in the U.S. this is about, as I have seen many of lower class people with iPhones. This is about having iPhones available to third world countries and other places in the world where they can't get an iPhone because of cost.

Les74

May 30, 2011
Visit site
*sigh* It is not lower income people in the U.S. this is about, as I have seen many of lower class people with iPhones. This is about having iPhones available to third world countries and other places in the world where they can't get an iPhone because of cost.

Annnnnnd my point was that those phones would ALSO be available at a lower cost in other countries.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Annnnnnd my point was that those phones would ALSO be available at a lower cost in other countries.

Yeah, older devices which aren't there in the first place. I am saying they can make a low end device for emerging markets.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, older devices which aren't there in the first place. I am saying they can make a low end device for emerging markets.
You sound like you want to force Apple to make a low-end device... They don't do that. Just like Ferrari doesn't make a model to compete with Hyundai. Oh, wait, you don't think car analogies apply here... Sorry...

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Everyone on the planet can't at least have the choice to have an iPhone? So many people get cut out of having an iPhone because of this business model, and you see it as a plus, but too many that is a negative, and that is why Apple has such little market share outside of the U.S., hell I would wager if they didn't have so much mind share here, their profits definitely wouldn't be where they are.

It's not that I think this business model is the best, I'm just stating what it is. Apple basically just sells to the high-end market. I think it would be great if everyone had access to buy an iPhone, but that's not their business strategy. They make devices for the high end.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
You sound like you want to force Apple to make a low-end device... They don't do that. Just like Ferrari doesn't make a model to compete with Hyundai. Oh, wait, you don't think car analogies apply here... Sorry...

No, that is not what I am saying, I was saying that as a future business model, they can do low end, but it seems everyone here is hostile to any out of the box ideas.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
It's not that I think this business model is the best, I'm just stating what it is. Apple basically just sells to the high-end market. I think it would be great if everyone had access to buy an iPhone, but that's not their business strategy. They make devices for the high end.

And what I am saying is that business model won't last forever, and they could expand in the future. I don't understand what is the problem is with that. Like it all of sudden undermines your device because it is at a lower price point.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
And what I am saying is that business model won't last forever, and they could expand in the future. I don't understand what is the problem is with that. Like it all of sudden undermines your device because it is at a lower price point.

I get what you're saying :) I don't necessarily feel it undermines my device if Apple were to sell to the low-end market. But, on the other side of that, I think if/when Apple sells to the low end market, it might cheapen the brand down a little. If all of a sudden Apple came out with a phone that was $200 off contract running something like iOS 3.0, I think we'd see some problems with both the device and the brand image.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Many companies have died due to the inability to stay relevant in more than one market... If I were at the helm of Apple I wouldn't be content with just profit share.

Not until I have close to second or first marketshare in 80 % of the world's countries. I'd want an Amazon approach, rather than a BlackBerry approach, that's what I'm saying.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Dolls_Laughing.gif

Are you guys just talking out of your rear ends about Apple's foreign market success? Am I really reading a couple of guys here saying that they, for some weird reason, think Apple isn't firmly planted in international markets? Have you guys looked at news reports over the last 4 years since Apple really started pushing the iPhone and iPad in these markets you're talking about? My god man! Go use google and search for it! It's all right there for the taking!

Do you realize that Apple is actually growing faster internationally than they are here? I'll do your work for you on a single citation... China Drove Big iPhone And iPad Sales For Apple During Q3 2014 | TechCrunch

Some of you in here make it seem like Apple would be better off turning into the Walmart of smart phones...you know...like Samsung vs. maintaining a brand and continuing to dominate year after year with their single, solitary smart phone device.

I really can't believe I'm reading this here...I almost wish some of you were trolls so I could just chalk it up to trolling.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Well right now apple doesn't have the market share (assuming you include all those low end android phones) but they have the largest "profit share" of all the phone manufacturers by far. So what is their incentive to change? Will this business strategy always work for them? Who knows, but they've had a pretty good run with it so far.

Which won't last forever. That is the point, with Tim Cook at the helm they can change the business models and make more money and/or increase market share, nothing wrong with either of those.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods