Why pay $700 for an iPhone when....?

Davehow

Banned
Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
I've been spending the day pouring over information about the OnePlus One android phone. It's going to launch with cutting edge hardware specs, quality build materials, and a respected version of android free of carrier and OEM bloatware -Cyanogen - and get updates directly. It's already being called significantly better than Google's nexus phones by reviewers who have it so far, and will cost less.

So here's the question. Aside from OS preference or whether you're already invested in android or iOS apps, what incentive is there to buy a $700 iphone , or android for that matter, when they're making this available contract free and unlocked for less than half the price?

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: An interesting question

However, you can't really buy the OnePlus one right now without an invite, so the phone is really a niche product at this point.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site

I've been spending the day pouring over information about the OnePlus One android phone. It's going to launch with cutting edge hardware specs, quality build materials, and a respected version of android free of carrier and OEM bloatware -Cyanogen - and get updates directly. It's already being called significantly better than Google's nexus phones by reviewers who have it so far, and will cost less.

So here's the question. Aside from OS preference or whether you're already invested in android or iOS apps, what incentive is there to buy a $700 iphone , or android for that matter, when they're making this available contract free and unlocked for less than half the price?

I like it because of the OS. iOS is a huge reason why I continue buying Apple products. Another reason is the integration with the rest of my Apple stuff. I can type a note on my iPad and have it appear on my iPhone, iPod, or Mac, which is a great feature I enjoy having. Another is the ease-of-use. I don't have to do workarounds just to get my phone to work, I just pull it out of the box and go. That's my incentive for continually buying iPhones.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

You may not see it being immediately apparent, but with lower prices comes compromises, even if they still make some profit out of the sales. iPhones have a build of aluminium and chamfered edges, something that you wouldn't find in the Nexus 5 or the OnePlus One or something's that is heavily subsidised by manufacturers.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
An interesting question

Please don't make the mistake of thinking that everyone cares about specs because they don't. Furthermore, don't assume that since you've come to the conclusion that a certain device is technologically superior to any other that everyone will automatically opt to get it because they won't. People like what they like and people want what they want. Personally speaking, I've paid little to no attention to nonApple smartphones. Why? Because I am content with what the iPhone offers me. I don't care what anyone else buys or likes, and I don't care if device A is technologically superior or what anyone thinks about what I opt to buy. I like the iPhone and will continue to buy the iPhone for as long as it satisfies my smartphone need. That is why me and others will pay $700 for an iPhone instead of opting for a device with cutting edge specs and comes unlocked and contract-free....:)

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Amen D! I don't pay attention to specs nor do I care. I use an iPhone because it's what works for me. It meets all of my needs, period. I don't need to look at other phones.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Like statistics, specs can be misleading. I like the iPhone, regardless of any specs comparison. They are meaningless. Impressive looking specs are for use as a selling tool. 10 mp camera sounds better than 8 mp camera. Yet the 8 mp one will make better photos. They don't tell you everything.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I'll preface this by saying that that gave up iPhone a while back, I've also used Androids and currently I'm happy with my Blackberry.

That said...
If I suddenly HAD to switch and my only choices were iPhone or Android, I'd go with iPhone for one reason:
Every Android I have ever owned has forced software updates on me and every time, it turned out to be disastrous.
So with Apple, just as with Android, you can't go back once the update is installed however Apple doesn't force updates on you.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm not disagreeing with any of the above, but I can't help but wonder if those factors are really worth $400 more.

Is it worth it to get your wife or girlfriend what you know SHE wants or risk her being disappointed by getting her what YOU think is best for her?

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
However, you can't really buy the OnePlus one right now without an invite, so the phone is really a niche product at this point.

I got an invite! So far 4 of my friends have the phone.

Oh, but I'm still going to spend $700+ on my iPhone.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Not sure what you mean, I'm not buying anyone anything

My reply was in regard to your comment "...I can't help but wonder if those factors are really worth $400 more." I was basically trying to show that the "$400 more" can be worth it depending on its importance to the buyer.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Better specs do not necessarily equate to a better user experience. Getting an unlocked device does not guarantee that the device will be used on another network, and getting it at a reduced price doesn't necessarily mean it's a good deal...:)

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
For me, a lot comes down to OS. I prefer iOS. I rely on iOS for the way it handles group messaging, the ease and unambiguous nature, little things like tap to scroll. I prefer the way iOS works, looks, etc. From a hardware standpoint, I like the looks of the iPhone more. I prefer the feel, build quality, etc.

A person can present me other devices and propose why they are 'better'. But it doesn't matter. I don't value customization over fluidity, open source over security. I don't care about free apps, changing fonts or widgets, choosing launchers, etc. I prefer higher app quality, timely updates, etc.

Lastly, I'm blessed in life where disposable income is not an issue when it comes to my phone. I'll pay $900 for the largest storage iphone before $300 for an android device and not bat an eye. And in doing so, I'll feel 100% that I maximized my value.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
For me, a lot comes down to OS. I prefer iOS. I rely on iOS for the way it handles group messaging, the ease and unambiguous nature, little things like tap to scroll. I prefer the way iOS works, looks, etc. From a hardware standpoint, I like the looks of the iPhone more. I prefer the feel, build quality, etc.

A person can present me other devices and propose why they are 'better'. But it doesn't matter. I don't value customization over fluidity, open source over security. I don't care about free apps, changing fonts or widgets, choosing launchers, etc. I prefer higher app quality, timely updates, etc.

Lastly, I'm blessed in life where disposable income is not an issue when it comes to my phone. I'll pay $900 for the largest storage iphone before $300 for an android device and not bat an eye. And in doing so, I'll feel 100% that I maximized my value.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

'Nuf said...:)

AAA1337

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Since you asked for what advantages iOS offers other than the general look and feel of the OS itself, here goes:

1. iOS is much, much better for gaming. Since I like games, and spend a lot of my free time playing games, I like having OS and hardware that's good for gaming. That's part of why I actually won't buy a Mac any time soon. And also exactly why I like iOS. It's far superior to both Windows phone and Android in gaming, with far more exclusives than either. The only exception to that rule is the NVidia Shield, which is a better gaming device IF you have a good PC to stream all your best games from. Which sadly, I do not. So iOS it is, for me.

2. Security. Unfortunately, I don't think Google will ever catch up in this area, partly due to the fact that their OS is open unlike iOS, and partly because the thing most of us want security against, apps that track you and sell your info, is Google's biggest revenue source. Either way, this advantage should be fairly evident to anyone who knows about the OS. iOS is sandboxes so malware cannot spread itself throughout the OS, and it lets you micromanage what each individual app is allowed to access on your phone.

3. The App Store is far superior to Google Play in many ways. Sure, Google. Play wins out in a few areas, like customization apps, replacing defaults, and possibly in apps that Apple refuses to support, like emulators and the like. However the App Store quite simply has a far larger selection of apps and several exclusives (the first one I can think of is Facebook Paper).

4. Integration. Between all the integration already introduced, and the more that's coming in iOS 8, if you already have an iPad or Mac, you have plenty of reason to want an iPhone, and vice versa. The fact that a lot of this integration is available in some limited capacity for Windows-iOS too, helps.

5. Android's biggest advantage, customizability, is rendered moot by a 5-minute process. I simply cannot stress this last one enough. Jailbreaking (or Rooting for that matter) offer virtually unlimited customizability. Light years ahead of stock Android and iOS. The thing is, the above listed iOS advantages are nearly insurmountable. Sure you can get a third party solution for security, but those systems always lack something. For example, Google discontinued App Ops because it caused instability in apps. Do third parties take care of that? And the App Store advantage is simply too big a factor to ignore, and can be solved by no one but Google and the Android App Devs. Google is trying to improve integration the same way too, and so is Windows Phone for that matter, but iOS 8 has some killer features that the others don't.

So there are my reasons as to why I would choose an iOS device even if someone offered me a very similar Android device for half the price. That sure is incentive enough for me.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen