Carriers Pushing Samsung Phones More Than Apple iPhones

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm hearing that according to a new report from Kantar Worldpanel, carriers have been urging smartphone buyers to go with Samsung (and others) rather than the iPhone.
The polls show 63% of smartphone buyers who bought a phone in Q1 2014 were pushed toward the Samsung in particular. WTH? The result has been a huge positive impact on Samsung sales.
Carriers are apparently unhappy with Apple's high subsidy costs associated with the iPhone. They seem to think Apple has too much market power.
Increased iPhone loyalty is another reason. I'm not sure why that matters.
Have any of you noticed this with your carrier? I don't buy many phones and have not had anyone at Verizon try to steer me toward a Samsung.

Source: BGR
iPhone 6 vs. Galaxy S5: Carriers will push the Samsung phone | BGR

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
While I'm not disagreeing with the article, it hasn't had much effect on Apple or Samsung. Apples sales are up YOY, and Samsungs are down YOY.

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
It seems to me it's been this way for a while now. I don't believe it's affecting Apple's sales much.

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
IMO people who are influenced by reps are just average consumers that dont really care what phone they use as long as it works for them.

The people who want Apple will buy Apple and people who want Samsung will by Samsung.

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I believe that they push non-Apple phones because the other phones have carrier bloat. The carrier can make more money if consumers subscribe to their bloatware.

Sent from my iPad Air using iMore Forums

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
IMO people who are influenced by reps are just average consumers that dont really care what phone they use as long as it works for them.

The people who want Apple will buy Apple and people who want Samsung will by Samsung.
I tend to agree with your statement more than I disagree with it. I, for one, know what I want when I walk in the store so as soon as they start, I stop them and tell them what I want, and if they can't help me get it, I'm walking out the door...:)

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm in my carrier store enough that they don't even try to talk me into anything. Basically just ask what I'm looking for today.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I actually think carrier reps hurt windows phone more than anyone else. They probably never recommend or suggest those phones. And often there not even on display in stores like best but.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
That's the only thing I can think of at this point. I'm honestly surprised there still part of mobile nations honestly. There's just nothing happening there.

There's always a bunch of members online there compared to here, but it's true. BB hasn't done anything worth getting excited over for a loooong time.

Smply_Rcklss

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
It's bc of Samsung's advertisement, oh well it'll be a wrap come the release of the IPhone 6 as previously stated.

Tapatalk'n On The 5s

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods