Does this apple and google feud make anyone else a bit nervous?

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
So, maybe I'm overacting a bit, but honestly this feud that apple and google are having makes me nervous for google services on the Mac and iOS.

We already see that apple is leaning towards bing when it comes to default search for that spotlight search and Siri, what's to say they don't make it default for safari now? Or heck lets just block google search from being a option all together. And what's to say google then makes it so the Mac and iOS versions stop getting timely updates? Or they bork gmail somehow on apple hardware. It sounds crazy, but who knows where this stupid war ends up.

And the things that's hilarious to me is that I read and hear on a lot of Mac websites and podcasts rip on google for "selling your identity and info" and "sell you to companies" and stuff like that, yet I can guarantee you they still continue to use google services because there really isn't better options. What, are you going to use bing? It's not as good. Neither is outlook arguably. So really, why keep complaining?

Anyway, am I crazy ? Or us this a real possibility?

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I really just don't care either way. While I use pretty much every google service if I had to find an alternative to use then I will. Although that being said I would have to say that I do not see Google pulling support for Mac and iOS. Google like every company is out to make money and pulling support for Mac/iOS would be incredibly stupid on their part.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Over the last few months, I have transferred a lot of my services from Google to Apple and Microsoft services. It hasn't really been bad at all. Actually, there are some Apple services that I prefer over the Google counterparts. I have used Bing for search and it hasn't been a bad experience either. I guess if I really wanted to use Google services exclusively, I would go to Android and Chrome OS. But I won't be doing that any time soon.

Sent from my iPad Air. Simply better than the rest.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Nervous, not really.
I personally like the choice, (I thought thats what android was all about, choice ;)).

I have been trialling duck duck go on both Yosemite and ios 8, and I must say it is refreshing.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Over the last few months, I have transferred a lot of my services from Google to Apple and Microsoft services. It hasn't really been bad at all. Actually, there are some Apple services that I prefer over the Google counterparts. I have used Bing for search and it hasn't been a bad experience either. I guess if I really wanted to use Google services exclusively, I would go to Android and Chrome OS. But I won't be doing that any time soon.

What apple and ms services do you use?

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I use Pages, Numbers, and Keynote for document creation. I use Bing for search and OneDrive for storage. I use Apple Maps instead of Google Maps now.

Last edited:

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I used to prefer Google Maps, but I haven't had any issues with Apple Maps and I really like how it integrates with Siri.

I use Google Maps because the voice is louder on my phone but now that I have a new head unit I may be switching over to Apple Maps for a bit

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
The only one that worries me is Maps. Everything else I prefer iOS.

Oh and YouTube.

I find Apple Maps superior to Google Maps on every level on the iPhone except POIs and public transportation. When I had an iPhone, I used it almost exclusively because it seemed to be more accurate, integrated nicely with the phone (loved the lock screen use). I drive so public transport is not a needed feature for me. I use other apps for POIs.

I have an Android phone now and Google Maps is fine too. But Apple Maps reputation is still being based on its initial faults. Much has changed since then.

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I have an Android phone now and Google Maps is fine too. But Apple Maps reputation is still being based on its initial faults. Much has changed since then.

In the US possibly, not in other countries. Google is still much more concrete here in Japan where traffic still is nowhere to be seen on Maps. Searching here is a pain even.

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
In the US possibly, not in other countries. Google is still much more concrete here in Japan where traffic still is nowhere to be seen on Maps. Searching here is a pain even.

I actually live in Mexico. But true, it sure depends on the country in which you live.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The alleged feud doesn't concern me at all especially with there being alternatives to both. :)

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Is anyone concern with the privacy issues like others are with google? I still can't decide if I care too much about it of not. A lot if apple pundits seem to care.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711