Does this apple and google feud make anyone else a bit nervous?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Are you primarily google services? Or do you have a mix?

No. I'm primarily Apple services. iCloud and iTunes purchases. Google is pretty much just Gmail. Even when I'm using an Android phone. I don't really rely on much else from them. But I could easily drop Apple and switch to something else without a problem.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
No. I'm primarily Apple services. iCloud and iTunes purchases. Google is pretty much just Gmail. Even when I'm using an Android phone. I don't really rely on much else from them. But I could easily drop Apple and switch to something else without a problem.

What do you use for cloud storage or whatever?

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
iCloud for my contacts and such, including my iDevice backups.

I use Dropbox for certain things but nothing that major that would make me miss not having it.

Yeah, I'm mostly using iCloud for contacts , calendar, and backup. I'm using onedrive for photos in addition to google+. Dropbox I'm gonna leave for documents. And I have 50gbs of Box storage that I don't use.

I'd like if iCloud expanded more , which I guess it will with cloud kit. But even that doesn't do all that these other services do.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
So, maybe I'm overacting a bit, but honestly this feud that apple and google are having makes me nervous for google services on the Mac and iOS.

We already see that apple is leaning towards bing when it comes to default search for that spotlight search and Siri, what's to say they don't make it default for safari now? Or heck lets just block google search from being a option all together. And what's to say google then makes it so the Mac and iOS versions stop getting timely updates? Or they bork gmail somehow on apple hardware. It sounds crazy, but who knows where this stupid war ends up.

And the things that's hilarious to me is that I read and hear on a lot of Mac websites and podcasts rip on google for "selling your identity and info" and "sell you to companies" and stuff like that, yet I can guarantee you they still continue to use google services because there really isn't better options. What, are you going to use bing? It's not as good. Neither is outlook arguably. So really, why keep complaining?

Anyway, am I crazy ? Or us this a real possibility?

If Apple completely blocked Google Search they would have to also block all of Google's apps from the App Store. Apple would be sued for anti-trust violations within minutes most likely. So there is 0.0% chance it will ever happen. Google services add value to the iPhone; Apple isn't stupid.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Gmail doesn't do push?

Google removed the option to setup Gmail via Exchange in January 2013 for free accounts. The only option to configure Gmail with the stock iOS email app is via IMAP which does not push. If you want push you have to use the Gmail app. Outlook.com is native push on iOS; you can also manually configure it as an Exchange account.

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Also, the Gmail app for IOS is getting better
The last update lets you attach, and saves files to and from Google Drive.
That's a nice addition to the app.

Last edited:

Zacharyw70

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I don't think Apple could legally block all of Google's services or cut them off, but I don't see them doing it either way. They aren't stupid and they know a LOT of people use and prefer Google to any other search engine and as a whole Google services benefit iOS in the long run.

Google definitely isn't stupid enough to pull services either. I remember reading somewhere that iOS accounts for more of Google's web searches than Android does so Google won't just decide to rip that money out of their wallet.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods