Apple crowned the greenest tech company by Greenpeace

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
So, it is good for our environment that Apple have released 7 tablets in the same time frame that RIM/BB have only released one, how exactly?

Had the Playbook had ANY success AT ALL then BlackBerry would have released another. And another. The fact that it was an epic failure is not in any way to be deemed a win for the green movement.

BBFunGuy

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
But would they have released seven? When the next iPhone is released, will Greenpeace applaud? I do not speak for the green movement, fill me in.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone really take it seriously that Apple pushes clean energy for their server plants? Let's just accept that these companies are going to be releasing devices yearly anyway...

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
But would they have released seven? When the next iPhone is released, will Greenpeace applaud? I do not speak for the green movement, fill me in.

Would BlackBerry have releases seven Playbooks? Sure. If they would have moved units other than through fire sales and have had any measure of success.

Would Greenpeace applaud the iPhone 6? I'm not a fortune teller.

Sent from my beautiful Gold 64G iPhone 5s using the iMore Forums app

boeingrules

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site

If the new device is more energy efficient, then yes. Older, more energy intensive products will be discontinued and a new more energy effective one will replace it. Eventually, it will benefit the environment.

Also, don't forget that Apple has a superb recycling program and all of its products are highly recyclable.

By the way, how many new devices has Samsung released in the last year? Apple's yearly (or at most twice/thrice yearly) update schedule is pretty skimpy as far as technology goes.

BBFunGuy

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
While a new phone may be more energy efficient, is the improvement enough to outweigh the energy used to manufacture a new phone?

boeingrules

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
While a new phone may be more energy efficient, is the improvement enough to outweigh the energy used to manufacture a new phone?

Apple uses 100% renewable energy for its manufacturing processes, according to the article, which means that all energy during manufacturing is clean anyway.

But you're right, if the same situation were applied to a different company, it would probably use more energy to manufacture than it would save through efficiency.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site

So your point is that Apple is enviromentally irresponsible for manufacturing new phones.

The purpose of a business is to sell its products. Apple has been recognised as being "green" in some of its activities.

This is not the same thing as a company producing a product that is has the sales figures equivalent of the Titanic and attempting to equate that with a moral high ground for not producing.

If it were the case that it is environmentally irresponsible to manufacture multipe devices, then BlackBerry would be the least responsible company, since it currrently produces literally a dozen different phones. And sells less than 10 million by Chen's own admission - his goal is to sell 10 million. So....looking at the expenditure of resources versus the number of devices sold, it would be then considered the height of environmental irresponsibility to continue to manufacture and expend natural resources when the ROI is so infinitessimal.

BBFunGuy

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
My point is that as a mobile phone seller, Apple is at odds with the green movement, like speedygi wrote, it is ironic.

May be you should explain you own point better, what is it?

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
So industry in and of itself is at odds with the green movement. So your suggestion is.....a utopian vision of a post industrial Time Machine-like world?

And my point is made above.

BBFunGuy

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
So industry in and of itself is at odds with the green movement. So your suggestion is.....a utopian vision of a post industrial Time Machine-like world?

And my point is made above.

Can you summarise your point in one sentence? Is your point that you disagree because BlackBerry.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Can you summarise your point in one sentence? Is your point that you disagree because BlackBerry.

So you're arguing my point without understanding what it is?

Here is my point in one sentence regarding the original post:

Congratulations, Apple, on Greenpeace's recognition of your efforts towards environmentally responsible manufacturing of your products.

BBFunGuy

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
So you're arguing my point without understanding what it is?

Here is my point in one sentence regarding the original post:

Congratulations, Apple, on Greenpeace's recognition of your efforts towards environmentally responsible manufacturing of your products.

If you re-read you may notice that you tell me what my point is, where I ask you what yours is.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner