Are you a fanboy and what drives it (if so)

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't particularly like the term 'fanboy' as I find 'fanatic' to be less durogatory. While some visit the forums looking for a quick answer to a problem they are having, many of us are here because we are fanatics...we are fans of a particular device(s) we are using. Whether it be IOS, Android, Apple, HTC, Samsung, etc. Some venture in and out of various platforms, some rock both at the same time, and others are loyalists to the core.

I imagine it is similar to a sports fan, a 'chevy vs ford' car guy, etc. A fanatic takes their interest and participation to another level. From a phone standpoint, a fanatic doesn't simply use it and then set it down not to be thought about again. They tweak it, customize it, research it, embelish it in cases, screen protectors, buy accesories for it, talk about it, show it off and sadly.....argue over it. Some get caught up in the comments sections of blog sites, others post at will in a forum. A fanatic is different from your standard person rocking a flip phone. They are different from that person who only knows how to text, check facebook, and take a selfie. They view their device as an extension of themselves. It is more than just a phone.

So I am curious, if it applies, what drives the fanboyism in you? And further, to what degree of fanatic are you? If you go to a sporting event, do you notice what phone another person is using just as much as you notice the jersey they are wearing? When you walk past someone in the store, do you take notice if the person is using a Galaxy vs an iPhone? Does it change your thoughts about someone, even in the least? Can you read a blog article on a tech site without perusing the comments section to see where people stand? Even further, can you avoid getting involved? Does it affect you if the device you use outsells another, is more popular than others, etc? If you are an iphone user, do the Samsung commercials irritate you? What drives folks to user terms like 'isheep', 'fandroids', etc. What prompts the animosity shown towards loyalists of other platforms. Do you go so far as to argue with your fellow man (woman) that the phone in your hands is 'better' than the phone in theirs?

Be honest lol. I know the politically correct answers. But deeeeeeeeeeeeep down inside of you, are you loyal to one over the other? Do you take pride in being 'Team iPhone' vs 'Team Android' vs 'Team Windows' etc. Or do you simply enjoy technology without loyalty to any one device or operating system.

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't consider myself a fanboy. I started visiting the iPhone related forums after I had an issue with my old iPhone 4 that no one at Verizon or Apple Support could figure out. So I looked for help elsewhere. It's been a learning experience for me. And now I'm able to help others. I don't get caught up in the, "Mine is better than yours!" smartphone war. I have my reasons for liking the iPhone and Apple products. There's things about how Apple does things I don't like. My son uses a Galaxy S4. He likes it better than my iPhone. So what? That's cool with me! I'm no fanboy. I have become a fan of iMore. But that's another story. :)

Sent from from my iPhone 5

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Here's the plain truth for me: apple products are high class's devices, and are generally used by wealthier people. They are also more or less a status symbol. If I were to get an android, I would never hear the end of it from friends and family, and it would kill me because most poor people that I see in public have androids. I like high class brands (BMW, Saab, under armor, mosey oak, etc etc) and I like shopping at high end malls. So I pretty much like anything that's higher class, including higher class music.

Tl;Dr I am an apple fanboy because I like to associate myself with high class things, and people.
Also, I don't want it to sound like I only use apple devices for the reasons mentioned. They work the best for me, and I could prove with real facts that OS X is better than windows. iOS and android are = IMO, it just comes down to personal preference for them. But OS X is far superior to windows, and I can back that statement up with facts.

Last edited:

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Great post! You ask if I notice the phones that others around me are using...dude, I could name the exact device that nearly all of my family, my friends, my coworkers, etc all use. I instantly notice when someone gets a new phone. I've all of sudden gotten an iMessage many times from someone I know who had an Android phone and my first response is always; Went iPhone huh? I notice what phone everyone is carrying all around me every minute of every day. I love phooooooones! Have been every since my mom got her first cell phone; I was hypnotized by it and it was a huge brick.

I am a phone fanboy. But mostly I am a fanboy of my own opinion. I like what I like. I really don't care what anyone else says. That's me. As any person I will try to sway others to my side but I know that my needs are not the same as everyone else's. In addition not everyone likes the same things. I'm not loyal to any side. I'm loyal to what I like and what works for ME!!! Right now what works for me is the iPhone.

I talked two of my coworkers in the last 2 months into getting a Moto X; I don't just preach iPhone. They didn't like the iPhone so I helped them search for the best device for their needs. No skin off my back. Why can't we all just get along?

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Great post! You ask if I notice the phones that others around me are using...dude, I could name the exact device that nearly all of my family, my friends, my coworkers, etc all use. I instantly notice when someone gets a new phone. I've all of sudden gotten an iMessage many times from someone I know who had an Android phone and my first response is always; Went iPhone huh? I notice what phone everyone is carrying all around me every minute of every day. I love phooooooones! Have been every since my mom got her first cell phone; I was hypnotized by it and it was a huge brick.

I am a phone fanboy. But mostly I am a fanboy of my own opinion. I like what I like. I really don't care what anyone else says. That's me. As any person I will try to sway others to my side but I know that my needs are not the same as everyone else's. In addition not everyone likes the same things. I'm not loyal to any side. I'm loyal to what I like and what works for ME!!! Right now what works for me is the iPhone.

I talked two of my coworkers in the last 2 months into getting a Moto X; I don't just preach iPhone. They didn't like the iPhone so I helped them search for the best device for their needs. No skin off my back. Why can't we all just get along?

Yeah I also notice what phones people have, and I've recommended the best androids to people that I knew wouldn't buy iPhones.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I would call myself a Tech Fanboy who happens to prefer the iPhone at this point in my life but like others have mentioned I notice what type of devices everyone uses how they use it and to what extent there devices help them in there daily lives.

I was a PDA carrier back when they where nothing more than a glorified calculator and was always the first to try new technology. I carried a Beeper when very few even new what they were and the monthly cost was staggering but I had to have it. My devices are important to me and I value them maybe a little to excessive for what they do to increase the quality of my daily life

Laura Knotek

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
I am a fan of technology, but I wouldn't consider myself a fangirl. I do like looking at the gadgets my family and friends use, but I've never tried converting them into using whatever I happen to be using.

I subscribe to RSS feeds of many tech sites. However, I typically only read the writer's material and avoid looking at any comments, since the comments tend to be worthless to me, due to grammar and spelling errors.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I am. I'm a fan of technology, especially mobile technology. Am I a loyal fan? Whatever device or brand I am currently using, I go to great lengths to learn everything I can about it. Right now, it's my Apple products, but before that, it was Android, Blackberry, Palm, Motorola, Nokia, Audiovox and whatever else I've owned over the years....:)

Last edited:

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I have been involved in wireless tech since 2001. I've always loved cell phones, and think they're fascinating. Love seeing the evolution.

I wouldn't say in a "fan boy" but I have a default preference for BlackBerry. That's what I started with (first smart phone). I've had Android, iPhone, iPod Touch and BlackBerry phones. I use an iPad frequently.

I DO notice what people use generally. Just out of curiosity. My brother is the only Windows user I now. That phone was pretty slick. Seems everyone uses an iPhone, so I smile when I see a BlackBerry and sometimes ask how they like it.

The wars, I don't have the time or energy for that anymore. I used to get into that. Even debating platforms isn't interesting for me anymore because our needs and wants and priorities are so varied that it doesn't make sense to debate. I WILL tell someone what I like and dislike about each platform if I'm asked.

I worked at Verizon Wireless for about two years, so I got to try many different brands and models. That was neat.

I don't agree that Apple is for people with money though. Everyone has an iphone, including my 8 year old cousin. Lol. Both my parents and grandparents have iPhone. I do think the devices are very stylish looking though, and I appreciate that! I tend to view people wih BlackBerry phones as a no frills kind of person, maybe more organized. But who knows.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm not a fanboy. I am a fan of mobile technology. The last few years I've used an iPhone before that it was BlackBerry. I use what works for me and learn as much as possible about my devices.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully I can convey my thoughts well enough without leaving the wrong impression. I tend to be pro iPhone. Pro Apple in general but more so pro iPhone. I have used every iPhone as my daily driver, while taking test drives with various Galaxy and Nexus devices along the way. I am just as much a proponent of the "what works best for me is what's best for me" as the rest of you. But deeeep down inside, I defend Apple and the iPhone. Much of this attitude has been shaped by those on the other side of the fence.

I catch myself reading comments sections of blogs, youtube videos, news articles, etc. And to me, just me, it seems that so many are chomping at the bit to rip Apple and the iPhone. If they are not attacking "lack of innovation", "dated software", "boring", "suited to kids and seniors", etc then they are gunning for something else. Apple cannot do a thing without someone saying "The atrix had a fingerprint sensor years ago", "that 64-bit processor means nothing with 1GB ram", "We've had everything IOS 8 brings back in 2010". It never stops. My favorite is when a friend cannot wait to tell me how much more his Galaxy S5 can do compared to the 'junk iPhone 4 I just got rid of'. No kidding? So can my 5S! The anti-Apple campaign is gluttonous with touts against the iPhone and its walled garden, kids toy, no customization, dated software, lack of features, etc.

I guess that is the difference. While most if not all of you either do not care, are simply unaffected by it, or ignore it....I get bothered by it. I don't appreciate others insinuating my device is inferior, lacking, dated or a toy. I hate the insults, the cockiness and the banter. I have spent much of my life siding with the underdog and it seems like whenever a person tries to type one simple positive thing about their iPhone, 11 condescending replies with a hundred up-votes are there to greet it within seconds.

This is NOT reflective of all android users. Not in the least. I am just speaking of my observations from things I have chosen to read, listen to, or from my own inner circle. But these are some of the reasons I find myself defensive when it comes to the device I choose to use, even though it is the best phone for 'me'.

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Then why do you care if someone insults your device? I get it in that, why do they care what you use anyway. But I don't care if anyone approves of any of my choices, with anything. There's people that probably don't like my Subaru. But I don't like their Ford.

To be honest, I guess I don't hear insults very much. Usually just questions like, why do you like such and such brand. If someone actually insulted me over that, well, bye.

I don't know, it seems so weird, like fighting over which color is best.

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Hopefully I can convey my thoughts well enough without leaving the wrong impression. I tend to be pro iPhone. Pro Apple in general but more so pro iPhone. I have used every iPhone as my daily driver, while taking test drives with various Galaxy and Nexus devices along the way. I am just as much a proponent of the "what works best for me is what's best for me" as the rest of you. But deeeep down inside, I defend Apple and the iPhone. Much of this attitude has been shaped by those on the other side of the fence.

I catch myself reading comments sections of blogs, youtube videos, news articles, etc. And to me, just me, it seems that so many are chomping at the bit to rip Apple and the iPhone. If they are not attacking "lack of innovation", "dated software", "boring", "suited to kids and seniors", etc then they are gunning for something else. Apple cannot do a thing without someone saying "The atrix had a fingerprint sensor years ago", "that 64-bit processor means nothing with 1GB ram", "We've had everything IOS 8 brings back in 2010". It never stops. My favorite is when a friend cannot wait to tell me how much more his Galaxy S5 can do compared to the 'junk iPhone 4 I just got rid of'. No kidding? So can my 5S! The anti-Apple campaign is gluttonous with touts against the iPhone and its walled garden, kids toy, no customization, dated software, lack of features, etc.

I guess that is the difference. While most if not all of you either do not care, are simply unaffected by it, or ignore it....I get bothered by it. I don't appreciate others insinuating my device is inferior, lacking, dated or a toy. I hate the insults, the cockiness and the banter. I have spent much of my life siding with the underdog and it seems like whenever a person tries to type one simple positive thing about their iPhone, 11 condescending replies with a hundred up-votes are there to greet it within seconds.

This is NOT reflective of all android users. Not in the least. I am just speaking of my observations from things I have chosen to read, listen to, or from my own inner circle. But these are some of the reasons I find myself defensive when it comes to the device I choose to use, even though it is the best phone for 'me'.

I COMPLETELY AGREE!! I've learned not to read the comments on anything about apple. I've seen android fans call every single news site biased just because they cover apple, but the truth is that android gets far more coverage because they are always devices coming out that run android. The hate for apple is really just envy. The cool kids use iPhones. The business people use iPads. The pros use macs. It's makes cheapo's mad, jealous, and insecure. So they feel the need to hate on "crapple" "Apple is such a patent troll" " "a 2014 phone with 2010 specs" "iOS users have to use magnifying glass to see their keyboards on those little displays"

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
To be honest, I guess I don't hear insults very much. Usually just questions like, why do you like such and such brand. If someone actually insulted me over that, well, bye.

Go look at the comments on the viral video by MKBHD on the iPhone 6 display!

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Then why do you care if someone insults your device? I get it in that, why do they care what you use anyway. But I don't care if anyone approves of any of my choices, with anything. There's people that probably don't like my Subaru. But I don't like their Ford.

I don't know, it seems so weird, like fighting over which color is best.

I don't know honestly. Might be from my years of being a Cubs fan that I just get beat down from the ridicule :)

Seriously though, I know you are right. I shouldn't care, really have no reason to, but I admit it does eat at me. It's not due to insecurity, so I'm not certain why it gets to me.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I've leaned to just ignore the haters. Life goes on. It's their loss really. I used to get freakin' mad at them, and spent countless hours arguing with them. Lol I regret the time wasted now.

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't know honestly. Might be from my years of being a Cubs fan that I just get beat down from the ridicule :)

Seriously though, I know you are right. I shouldn't care, really have no reason to, but I admit it does eat at me. It's not due to insecurity, so I'm not certain why it gets to me.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Like I said I do get how it could annoy you. It's like someone is insulting your choice or judgement and that reflects on you as a person. But, again, you make your choices based on YOUR needs, not theirs. I don't get EVEN MORE the people who spend their energy insulting other people's choice!

Believe me, I know what most people online say about BlackBerry phones. But hey, I like them. I have valid reasons too! I like the keyboard is enough of a reason for me!