Current State of Apple and Competitors

Bballbenb

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
It seems like every company (Apple, Google, Microsoft, Amazon) is trying to get you to only be in their ecosystem. Long gone are the days of partnerships and the ones they do have are very small. It is unfortunate Google and Apple hate each other so much, because if they both have great services.

Moving forward, do you think Google will continue to make great apps for Apple or they will slowly get away from this? It seems like Yahoo really tried/is trying to make Apple their mobile platform, but it may be to late for them?

Do you think Apple is at the point now to where you can only use their products and not use Google, Microsoft or Yahoo products/apps on your phone?

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Google's profits come from their advertising arm. Everything else they do is a glorified science experiment. I imagine they would gladly burn Android before they would stop developing for Apple and losing all of the eyeballs they have a chance of winning by bringing their marketing to iOS users.

I've used Google, Amazon, and Apple digital content extensively and to be blunt, Apple content is by far the most restricted and annoying to deal with. I do deal with it because frankly Apple does it so goddamn well that I can't help but like it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I totally agree with Algus' answer. Google makes too much money off of their iOS offerings, in terms of advertising exposure and data assimilation. There is no way they are leaving the iOS app store.

Regarding the issue of flexibility and user choice vs a locked down walled garden, it's continuum. And it’s up to the user to decide what works best for their situation. Personally, I am happy with Apple's approach, and with the direction of iOS 8. It would appear that Apple is slowly opening things up a bit. Thankfully, they have taken their time and worked through the various security pitfalls as they modify their position and direction.

Last edited:

Bballbenb

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
That is very true about Google. I would assume they would continue making high quality apps as well.

On a sidenote, I have been very impressed with Yahoo apps for iOS lately. I think they have been very smart in the ones that they are creating. Weather, News, Digest, etc are all apps that Google, Microsoft, and even Apple do not make. They are finding their own niche in the market which is smart instead of trying to compete with a search app, docs apps, etc.

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
That is very true about Google. I would assume they would continue making high quality apps as well.

On a sidenote, I have been very impressed with Yahoo apps for iOS lately. I think they have been very smart in the ones that they are creating. Weather, News, Digest, etc are all apps that Google, Microsoft, and even Apple do not make. They are finding their own niche in the market which is smart instead of trying to compete with a search app, docs apps, etc.

I like yahoo apps too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I believe it's been stated elsewhere that Google makes more money on iOS than on Android, so I don't see them having any motivation to drop iOS support.

Google doesn't care what OS and ecosystem you're on, as long as you're using their services and seeing their ads. It serves their own purposes to both create their own ecosystem to lock people into their services (Android), but at the same time it also serves their best interests to offer those same services to outside markets that are also profitable for them (iOS). There's no reason why they can only do one or the other. Their business model is vastly different than Apple's, which is hardware focused.

Apple doesn't care what services you use, as long as you buy their hardware. Their services/ecosystem/OS serve as an incentive to drive more hardware sales.

Google doesn't care what hardware, ecosystem, or OS you use as long as you use their services. Their hardware/software/OS serve as an incentive for people to use their services, regardless of platform.

Two very different business models with lots of overlap.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Regarding the issue of flexibility and user choice vs a locked down walled garden, it's continuum. And it’s up to the user to decide what works best for their situation. Personally, I am happy with Apple's approach, and with the direction of iOS 8. It would appear that Apple is slowly opening things up a bit. Thankfully, they have taken their time and worked through the various security pitfalls as they modify their position and direction.

Couldn't agree more with this.

I run multiple platforms, and I really appreciate how my Apple devices function and integrate with each other. It's seamless. My life is complicated enough without having to wrestle with my tech when I'm trying to get things done on the go.

I choose my battles. I don't want to have them be against something that's supposed to be there to work for me. That's the reason I love my Apple products.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods