Apple User Thoughts On BlackBerry Passport

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
The lady who works at my provider store said they can't keep those things on the shelves... Imagine that. I would have never guessed

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
No she said she sells quite a few... Might just be here

They've sold more than the CEO anticipated. The faithful have scooped them up. But as far as people from other platforms, I don't know the numbers. The faithful say there have been conversions.

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
The lady who works at my provider store said they can't keep those things on the shelves... Imagine that. I would have never guessed

They’ve only sold something like 200,000 of them. Wow. Compare that with 10 million in one weekend. Meh. Nothing to see here, folks. Move along.

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
They?ve only sold something like 200,000 of them. Wow. Compare that with 10 million in one weekend. Meh. Nothing to see here, folks. Move along.

I never said they are a top selling brand I was just stating the fact that surprisingly they have sold a few where I live.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

Because they're inside the little drawers where they keep accessories.

Ain't nobody walking into carrier stores anymore specifically looking for a Blackberry.

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
They've sold more than the CEO anticipated. The faithful have scooped them up. But as far as people from other platforms, I don't know the numbers. The faithful say there have been conversions.

Unless blackberry pulls a rabbit out of their hat, they will never touch The likes of Apple, Samsung, or Lg... There's just no way

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Because they're inside the little drawers where they keep accessories.

Ain't nobody walking into carrier stores anymore specifically looking for a Blackberry.

Maybe she just decided to make it up for fun that day because she was bored. Regardless I got my 6 and thankfully don't have the blackberry so all that matters to me really.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I had the Bold as well. While I do remember it with fondness, (the email experience was awesome. Keyboard was awesome.) I can't forget the poor build quality. That rear panel was so loose. It always rattled or creaked, unless you put something between the battery and panel, like a folded up piece of paper. The screen got distorted when you pushed the volume keys. The fit and finish was far from perfect. The random reboots and general OS instabilty, especially if you were running unofficial leaked "updates." I had to return my first Bold because of the Enter key on the keyboard not working properly. The trackball was a nightmare if it got dirty/dusty. Doing battery pulls got old. The old "Call Failed" and 3G to EDGE radio handoff problems. Oh, and the fact it was $400, with a 2-year contract...

The problems were so bad and widespread (despite what BB defenders would claim) I remember at least one carrier literally pulled the Bold and refused to sell it until RIM got their act together and addressed some of the issues, because their customer service centers and call lines were flooded with complaints, returns and replacements, and generally dissatisfied customers.

The build quality, the browser, OS problems, and the map, were the things that made me appreciate the iPhone 2G I had, and eventually led to me going back to Apple and getting an iPhone 3G. The camera sucked too... But the camera in the iPhones at the time wasn't that much better.

I agree about the build quality. It's funny because I remember having the folded business card taped to the inside of the battery door. I went through about 3 Bold 9000's that i luckily didn't have some of those major build quality issues.

I remember AT&T not releasing it until November 2008 when it was being released by other carriers (T-Mobile and Canadian carriers) in September. The rumblings were that AT&T wasn't approving the OS builds that they were testing.

Overall, I was happy with it after coming over from a Curve 8300. At the time, it felt like night and day. It's only been six years, but it sure feels like ages ago.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I remember going for the 8310 instead of the iPhone back in 2007 but always liking the idea of the iPhone. I was fresh out of the 9000 and into the 9700, which I loved but hated the browser when I finally went for my first iPhone, my 3GS. I hated the battery life on it but loved the browser. Kept getting BlackBerries but was always drawn to the iPhone. In retrospect, the 4s was my turning point. Even though I got four BBOS devices I was realising that the iPhone was my most dependable device. By the time I had the 5s and the Android app push came around it was time to go.
I'm finally happy with my tech.

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
I remember going for the 8310 instead of the iPhone back in 2007 but always liking the idea of the iPhone. I was fresh out of the 9000 and into the 9700, which I loved but hated the browser when I finally went for my first iPhone, my 3GS. I hated the battery life on it but loved the browser. Kept getting BlackBerries but was always drawn to the iPhone. In retrospect, the 4s was my turning point. Even though I got four BBOS devices I was realising that the iPhone was my most dependable device. By the time I had the 5s and the Android app push came around it was time to go.
I'm finally happy with my tech.

I remember back in 2007 I got my first smartphone and that was the blackberry pearl. I thought that was the coolest phone in the world for about 6 months. Then I upgraded to the Bold which was at the time the best phone you could get in Canada there was none better. In the states you guys had the iPhone a year before us so blackberry was all we knew. Then in 2008 I seen the 3GS for the first time and history was made I've been addicted ever since.

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
A part of me wishes I was around during those days to have an old school BlackBerry device, I'm sure I would appreciate tech a lot more nowadays. I think I had the LG Shine then.

falconeight

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Its a square phone running android apps that don't work like they should. The native apps are terrible and its missing a row of keys on its oddly shaped keyboard. The developer world has turned their backs on the operating system and have I mention that its square. Its the size of a phablet with a screen size of 4.5 inches. Movies have bigger black lines than it has screen. This thing belongs in the same place that all Kyocera Echo.sprint_b004w7pqme-pt01lg.jpg

anon3230140

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Lol. Ok.. I know this is an Apple fan site and thats ok. I know some of you are simple enough to have not used a product and yet.. totally play it down with snark and abuse just cos of some fanboyism that is played out.. but thats ok too. Thanks to the Iphone... a great phone in its prime.. every other phone on the market is just a dull pack of meh too phones and some of us love them blindly for the most part. Sad really. I even pushed my wife to get an Iphone 5s despite her coming from a 9900 just cos I knew it is what would best suit her i.e. size, ease of use and apps if she ever needed them. I stay in touch with apple goings on to the point that i've stopped her from updating to IOS8 until all kinks are ironed out.

Even me.. being a BlackBerry user will admit that BlackBerry fell for it with the z10 and z30 and I'm so glad they got wiser with John Chen at the helm and realised it was a battle they could not win. In fact that was a battle they lost eons ago despite how good I feel the Blackberry z10 is. It was too late. I'm not a fanboy.

Enter the Passport.

I have had one for the last 5 days and just to make it clear.. this is the best built phone in the mobile space today hands down. It is the most and only innovative phone on the market today. Agree or not.. that's fine, but the truth remains the truth. The screen, speed, the way it runs native and android apps, the keyboard (never before seen and thats a fact) and etc.. ridiculously fantastic. Did I mention the build quality? Lord have mercy.. that build quality. Solid one piece stainless steel that holds it together. It would not bend in your pocket. Trust me. However, if you do decide to use it as a frisbee be careful you don't hit anyone cos it would hurt the person really bad and you might get sued for GBH like we say here in the UK.. aka grievous bodily harm.

Another thing.. this is a phone targeted at business users but still packs a punch on that fun side. It seeks not to compete with the meh too phones but somehow you guys gladly and totally seem to avoid that fact and try to group it with the meh too phones like the Iphones and it's wannabes. Feel free to put the z10 and z30 in that group too but with the Passport.. please lets be a little more intelligent. Don't.

This phone is not for everyone and you Iphone lovers for the most part, would fall into that group and that's ok. Lets just chill with the snide uninformed remarks cos I really do expect more from a site that tries to pride itself on fairness and supposedly frowns on the crazy Crackberry and Android fanatics, faithful or whatever else you choose to call us. This isn't a war. Your view would never change anyone's personal choice. It's yours and that's the most and all it can ever be. Nobody cares.

I'll just leave these links here for you guys to read. These are folks who are just like you but took that giant step for mankind and chose not to be followers without a cause. They are not fanboys.. neither are they unnecessary haters. If you prefer to read the blatantly biased reviews from well known Blackberry haters then just hit the likes of Verge and co to get your complementary glass of Blackberry hate.

Have fun.

BlackBerry Passport Review: Don?€™t Believe The Haters: Prices, Specifications, Reviews | Know Your Mobile

Vulture takes BlackBerry's Passport through customs ?€? The Register

BlackBerry Passport review: A truly innovative smartphone of 2014 - Tech2

Review: BlackBerry Passport

Last edited:

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Lol. Ok.. I know this is an Apple fan site and thats ok. I know some of you are simple enough to have not used a product and yet.. totally play it down with snark and abuse just cos of some fanboyism that is played out.. but thats ok too. Thanks to the Iphone... a great phone in its prime.. every other phone on the market is just a dull pack of meh too phones and some of us love them blindly for the most part. Sad really. I even pushed my wife to get an Iphone 5s despite her coming from a 9900 just cos I knew it is what would best suit her i.e. size, ease of use and apps if she ever needed them. I stay in touch with apple goings on to the point that i've stopped her from updating to IOS8 until all kinks are ironed out.

Even me.. being a BlackBerry user will admit that BlackBerry fell for it with the z10 and z30 and I'm so glad they got wiser with John Chen at the helm and realised it was a battle they could not win. In fact that was a battle they lost eons ago despite how good I feel the Blackberry z10 is. It was too late. I'm not a fanboy.

Enter the Passport.

I have had one for the last 5 days and just to make it clear.. this is the best built phone in the mobile space today hands down. It is the most and only innovative phone on the market today. Agree or not.. that's fine, but the truth remains the truth. The screen, speed, the way it runs native and android apps, the keyboard (never before seen and thats a fact) and etc.. ridiculously fantastic. Did I mention the build quality? Lord have mercy.. that build quality. Solid one piece stainless steel that holds it together. It would not bend in your pocket. Trust me. However, if you do decide to use it as a frisbee be careful you don't hit anyone cos it would hurt the person really bad and you might get sued for GBH like we say here in the UK.. aka grievous bodily harm.

Another thing.. this is a phone targeted at business users but still packs a punch on that fun side. It seeks not to compete with the meh too phones but somehow you guys gladly and totally seem to avoid that fact and try to group it with the meh too phones like the Iphones and it's wannabes. Feel free to put the z10 and z30 in that group too but with the Passport.. please lets be a little more intelligent. Don't.

This phone is not for everyone and you Iphone lovers for the most part, would fall into that group and that's ok. Lets just chill with the snide uninformed remarks cos I really do expect more from a site that tries to pride itself on fairness and supposedly frowns on the crazy Crackberry and Android fanatics, faithful or whatever else you choose to call us. This isn't a war. Your view would never change anyone's personal choice. It's yours and that's the most and all it can ever be. Nobody cares.

I'll just leave these links here for you guys to read. These are folks who are just like you but took that giant step for mankind and chose not to be followers without a cause. They are not fanboys.. neither are they unnecessary haters. If you prefer to read the blatantly biased reviews from well known Blackberry haters then just hit the likes of Verge and co to get your complementary glass of Blackberry hate.

Have fun.

BlackBerry Passport Review: Don?t Believe The Haters: Prices, Specifications, Reviews | Know Your Mobile

Vulture takes BlackBerry's Passport through customs • The Register

BlackBerry Passport review: A truly innovative smartphone of 2014 - Tech2

Review: BlackBerry Passport

Well.....thank you for your opinion.

The OP requested thoughts on the device. And we're giving it.

My opinion is that it is a hideous abomination comparable to the Aztek. Or the Edsel. Or the Pacer. No car analogies? OK it's as attractive as these:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413026660.741856.jpg
Your launch your attack on us by calling us simple. Keep your BlackBerry insults on whatever BlackBerry delusional apologist site you want. If you want to be welcomed here I would suggest calling us simple is a bad way to begin.
I would not touch another BlackBerry product after the disaster that is Link decided to make a backup I'd made irretrievable. Family memories inaccessible. So this is NOT a good time to come at me with BlackBerry defenses.
And let's not get into apps. The Quasimodo requires the use of Android apps because of the anaemic offerings of BBW. These apps are often laggy when they run. IF they run. And I personally am not keen on having a device that relies in unoptimised apps from another platform and NO native ecosystem.
I am not a Chen sycophant who cheers like a Pavlovian trained fanboi at the sight of the Quasimodo. I am a consumer BURNED by the company's disastrous desktop manager. I am a stockholder who bought at $27 and I'm STILL holding and IF EVER that stock goes over $30 and I recoup investment AND interest lost, I'll dump it and NEVER touch it again.
THIS is not the site where BlackBerry acolytes come to spew their hatred of our devices and kneel to the altar of Chen and the Quasimodo. THIS is not the site where I have to sit while a Pavlovian pack attacks me with impunity. And all because of A PHONE. There are plenty of BlackBerry sites for that.

So.....the name calling goes OUT when you come HERE. And if a parade delusional rabid BlackBerry acolytes come here to attack us in the usual Pavlovian attack pack response, you will find moderators at iMore don't shy away from dealing with such a pack. There is not one appeaser in the lot.

http://m.wsj.com/articles/blackberr...squarely-at-professionals-1411567271?mobile=y
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/09/2...lackberry-passport-review.html?referrer=&_r=0

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711