Apple User Thoughts On BlackBerry Passport

Status
Not open for further replies.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I think the screen aspect ratio of the Passport will be a winner for me, because it allows for wide-screen movies with the accompaniment of a keyboard underneath. It will allow for trackpad style gestures while giving you a good landscape screen.

However, I'm more concerned with the lack of important apps on BlackBerry 10. In that regard it's really a long, hard road upwards.

How so?
Its a 4.5 inch square display. With the black bars on top and beneath the movie, wouldn't the corresponding surface area equal just 2.25 inches (16:9 movie aspect ratio) of viewing real estate to enjoy the movie. Surprisingly small.

Last edited:

lui22

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Nope. Amazon devs are focused on amazons fire phone and tablet. They are not going to go out of their way for passport users.
Couple that with android replacing dalvik with art (64 bit :) and blackberry has a new app problem.

I remember posting on crackberry about the problems bb10 will face once android goes 64 bit. Lol, they said it wasn't going to happen, they gave excuse after excuse, something about 4 gb of ram.
My post was deleted and one of the mods gave me an infraction, oh well no skin of my back :).

That's because on of the main reasons to upgrade to 64bit is to bypass the 4gig ram limit on 32bit systems.

It will be interesting to see that relationship evolve. I HIGHLY doubt that BlackBerry will have a substantial issue given the Android fragmentation issues that plague it. If Android does go 64bit, which I didn't remember it being announced at I/O, then BlackBerry won't have to deal with it for another 18 months or the next device cycle. Either way debs are going to have to build for both 32 and 64 or just 32 because 64 will support it either way.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
How so?
Its a 4.5 inch square display. With the black bars on top and beneath the movie, wouldn't the corresponding surface area equal just 2.25 inches (16:9 movie aspect ratio) of viewing real estate to enjoy the movie. Surprisingly small.

What you said was true, but what I meant is that for a traditional Blackberry paradigm, you are getting the best sized screen to go with a typical Blackberry keyboard experience: a screen with a non-slider keyboard underneath.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
What you said was true, but what I meant is that for a traditional Blackberry paradigm, you are getting the best sized screen to go with a typical Blackberry keyboard experience: a screen with a non-slider keyboard underneath.

There is nothing typical about the keyboard, blackberry or otherwise. That three row abomination, lacking the alt shift, punctuation, symbol keys or one handed use, that's not a functional keyboard, not by any standards, especially not Research in motion.

You surely mean "the RIM paradigm", yeah that's over.
The blackberry experience was being hyper-connected; push email and bbm, those were RIM's USP, it was never about a physical keyboard (if anyone requires empirical proof, I welcome you to look at BB's financials, q4'13 and q2'14, I certainly have;)).

Push email was realized without the need of a bis/bes layer, and rim failing to capitalize on bbm's momentum, was replaced by whatsapp.

Rim is now dead, and I believe Chen is on track to find a buyer for blackberry by 2015 or blackberry's 2016 fiscal year, if a buyer can't be found...

According to Chen: in order to keep making hardware, blackberry will have to sell (as in recognizing revenue on) 8.4 million z3s, passports and classics in 2.6 quarters or by May 2015.

Pragmatically put, that's never going to happen.

And before anybody, brings up govt subscribers: at thier peak in 2012 rim had 1.4 million government subscribers, which fell to 1 million government subscribers in 2013.

anon3230140

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Dude.. what's your problem? People are just stating their views and all you're doing is trying to find some negative in it to knock their opinion and BlackBerry down. If you don't like it.. say it and move on. Your constant beefing is ridiculous.

There is nothing typical about the keyboard, blackberry or otherwise. That three row abomination, lacking the alt shift, punctuation, symbol keys or one handed use, that's not a functional keyboard, not by any standards, especially not Research in motion.

You surely mean "the RIM paradigm", yeah that's over.
The blackberry experience was being hyper-connected; push email and bbm, those were RIM's USP, it was never about a physical keyboard (if anyone requires empirical proof, I welcome you to look at BB's financials, q4'13 and q2'14, I certainly have;)).

Push email was realized without the need of a bis/bes layer, and rim failing to capitalize on bbm's momentum, was replaced by whatsapp.

Rim is now dead, and I believe Chen is on track to find a buyer for blackberry by 2015 or blackberry's 2016 fiscal year, if a buyer can't be found...

According to Chen: in order to keep making hardware, blackberry will have to sell (as in recognizing revenue on) 8.4 million z3s, passports and classics in 2.6 quarters or by May 2015.

Pragmatically put, that's never going to happen.

And before anybody, brings up govt subscribers: at thier peak in 2012 rim had 1.4 million government subscribers, which fell to 1 million government subscribers in 2013.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Friendly reminder folks.........
[INFO]
P.U.P.P.A.H
(Be Polite, Understanding, Patient, Professional, Attentive and Helpful)

• Be polite. We ask that you keep your language clean and polite.
  • Be understanding and patient. You may be a power user or developer, but the person you’re talking to on the other end may be a complete newbie. Be patient, and provide all details possible if you’re posting about a problem (descriptive thread title always helps).
  • Be a pro. Don’t get into arguments over dumb things. If someone responds in a poor or rude fashion, ignore it. If you notice a pattern of rude or poor behavior from a particular member, report them to our moderators. If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all. In a nutshell, ‘think before you post’.
  • Be attentive and helpful. Answer questions in a timely manner when you can, and provide thoughts and suggestions that might lead to the solution of a members’ problem.
[/INFO]

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Dude.. what's your problem?

I don't have a problem.
You do. I sincerely hope you can work it out ;)

People are just stating their views and all you're doing is trying to find some negative in it to knock their opinion and BlackBerry down.

So am I.
This isn't crackberry.
A mod isn't going to swoop in and help you obfuscate your point and award me an infraction for simply stating facts.

If you don't like it.. say it and move on. Your constant beefing is ridiculous.

What I find ridiculous is you choosing to attack me instead of any of the points I made.
Its difficult, isn't it when there is merit to an argument, and you can't do anything about it.
it must feel helpless.

I hope you listen to your own words and move on; or debate my points if you disagree.
its just I find it rather pathetic when people don't, it makes them look rather weak. Cheers

Ps: I used to love blackberry, had gold and platinum berries that I used to use as secondary and even sometimes tertiary devices, it would supplement my iOS experience on occasion with other platforms based on what I would be working on, have you tried tizen, sailfish, firefox? I have, I have event spent time with the blackphone; Im a Venture capitalist and have been working with iOS and android developers for a couple of years now.

What do you do?

anon3230140

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Hmm. Ok. I have a wife and a mortgage to think about plus watching Outkast at the wireless festival this weekend though. Let me deal with those and i'll respond to your question later. Ta mate.

I don't have a problem.
You do. I sincerely hope you can work it out ;)

So am I.
This isn't crackberry.
A mod isn't going to swoop in and help you obfuscate your point and award me an infraction for simply stating facts.

What I find ridiculous is you choosing to attack me instead of any of the points I made.
Its difficult, isn't it when there is merit to an argument, and you can't do anything about it.
it must feel helpless.

I hope you listen to your own words and move on; or debate my points if you disagree.
its just I find it rather pathetic when people don't, it makes them look rather weak. Cheers

Ps: I used to love blackberry, had gold and platinum berries that I used to use as secondary and even sometimes tertiary devices, it would supplement my iOS experience on occasion with other platforms based on what I would be working on, have you tried tizen, sailfish, firefox? I have, I have event spent time with the blackphone; Im a Venture capitalist and have been working with iOS and android developers for a couple of years now.

What do you do?

lui22

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Mods can we close this thread we have, and I'm including myself, propagated answering one single members constant passive aggressiveness and deviated from the original topic.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately when one debates from an emotional position instead of logic, the result is inescapable.

Sent from my GORGEOUS, AWESOME Gold 64G iPhone 5s via Tapatalk

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
That's because on of the main reasons to upgrade to 64bit is to bypass the 4gig ram limit on 32bit systems.

Smh.
Perhaps you missed post 39, I was replying to you.

Your understanding of 64 bit architecture is beyond elementary, please stop. .

It will be interesting to see that relationship evolve. I HIGHLY doubt that BlackBerry will have a substantial issue given the Android fragmentation issues that plague it. If Android does go 64bit, which I didn't remember it being announced at I/O, then BlackBerry won't have to deal with it for another 18 months or the next device cycle. Either way debs are going to have to build for both 32 and 64 or just 32 because 64 will support it either way.

My god. You really are out of your depth, Aren't you.

Poor soul, your not going to enjoy the next three quarters in the tech sector, that I can guarantee you. ;)

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
When it comes to the thing that's called an "Opinion", People need to realize this is not something to be taken personally. Just remember that it's okay to agree to disagree peacefully.

No one here is right, No one is wrong. How you feel is relevant to you. I understand this is an iPhone forum, So talk of a BlackBerry can easily stir up discontentment. However, We can't forget that this is a community with a wide base of device users from all walks of life. Me included.

You don't have to talk down to someone because you disagree with them. That doesn't make you bigger, Nor does it make your argument any more relevant to the people who read it. Treat others as you'd wish to be treated. ^_^

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
ANNND for some reason, That Passport is growing on me... SO is the 4.7 inch iPhone.

I think I have a "Wanna buy a new device" bug growing in my guts.

lui22

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
ANNND for some reason, That Passport is growing on me... SO is the 4.7 inch iPhone.

I think I have a "Wanna buy a new device" bug growing in my guts.

I still don't like it. I really really just want a slightly wider Q10. Not as wide as the passport though. And A dedicated HDMI port for me is one of the unique things blackberry should stop doing.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I still don't like it. I really really just want a slightly wider Q10. Not as wide as the passport though. And A dedicated HDMI port for me is one of the unique things blackberry should stop doing.

I'd really be happy if I could get a Z30 successor that didn't weigh 5 lbs and had more PPI.

Sent from my BB Slider using Tapatalk.

lui22

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
I'd really be happy if I could get a Z30 successor that didn't weigh 5 lbs and had more PPI.

Sent from my BB Slider using Tapatalk.

Right? It feels like it's Made of lead, mercury and some glass. 5" phones should have 1080 resolution whilst Z10 calibre phones can do with 720 or in the iPhones case sub 720 works just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods