Apple User Thoughts On BlackBerry Passport

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brutal Efficiency

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Hey!

I'm just wondering, from Apple-user perspectives, what you all think about the BlackBerry Passport with BlackBerry 10.3 (coupled with Amazon App Store).

I thought it looked ugly, at first, but now seeing the photos of it in-hand, it looks great!

I also used to have some minor issues with app selection on BlackBerry World. Now Amazon App Store is available, which has everything else I could possibly need.

If you like it, why? If you don't, why not?
What makes you want to buy this device? What makes you want to steer clear of this device? (and please don't say something like 'because it's a BlackBerry')

I'm not trying to cause arguments, as I am genuinely interested!

Me? I like the big wide screen with real high ppi. I also really love the squared-off design. The touch-sensitive keyboard is also very intriguing.

Brutal Efficiency

May 22, 2013
Visit site
See, it's not an ugly looking device I reckon!

Along with the Classic.

Posted via iMore App

Attachments

• JC_Passport.jpg
    JC_Passport.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 168
  • CrackBerry Image(29).jpg
    CrackBerry Image(29).jpg
    26 KB · Views: 169
  • CrackBerry Image(28).jpg
    CrackBerry Image(28).jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 388

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I think it would look better with the Classic rounded edges and design style. Might be one of those things where you have to see it in person.

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
If it helps them, and it works, great. they needed some help in that area. For me, I have everything I need right here, iPhone 5s,iPad 4, and MacBook Air and more app"s than i will ever need. I'm good thank you.

Brutal Efficiency

May 22, 2013
Visit site
If it helps them, and it works, great. they needed some help in that area. For me, I have everything I need right here, iPhone 5s,iPad 4, and MacBook Air and more app"s than i will ever need. I'm good thank you.

All good mate!

Why is it that you wouldn't buy the Passport for your next upgrade? Are you very deep in the Apple ecosystem?

Unfortunately for BlackBerry, they don't have an ecosystem as big as their competitors. It can be coupled with other ecosystems easily though. That works for and against them. It also means that it is easier for people to make the switch away from BlackBerry 10.

I hope that they address this and have more solutions to increase their 'staying power' on the ecosystem front.

Posted via iMore App

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
All good mate!

Why is it that you wouldn't buy the Passport for your next upgrade? Are you very deep in the Apple ecosystem?

Unfortunately for BlackBerry, they don't have an ecosystem as big as their competitors. It can be coupled with other ecosystems easily though. That works for and against them. It also means that it is easier for people to make the switch away from BlackBerry 10.

I hope that they address this and have more solutions to increase their 'staying power' on the ecosystem front.

Posted via iMore App

I came over to Apple from Blackberry, had everything from the Curve up to the Bold 9930, and not one but 2 PlayBooks. no matter what i did could never get things to click. then their support for the PlayBook were very lacking,IMO.
So i moved over to Apple and from day one things just worked for me, and I do have a lot invested and plan on investing more. But found something that works for me and will stick with it as long as it does.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm interested but I think at this point, I need to see the price. Chen needs to be competitive with it and if it's over $500, I just don't see it.

However, the Classic is interesting too. For me I just don't know if I ever liked the traditional toolbelt. Nor the track pad either...

Sent from a larger than life device using Tapatalk!

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
See, it's not an ugly looking device I reckon!

Along with the Classic.

Posted via iMore App

Wow is it WIDE. i seriously have certain reservations that it could fit comfortably in an execs pocket.
It's a very ugly looking device, especially in the last pic, when you look at it dead on , it's just painful to watch. Kinda reminds me of the hunchback of notre dome, Quasimodo. Lol, (perhaps somebody can photoshop him in instead of Chen).

But seriously, I don't have faith the company will survive, and I will not buy a phone that is DOA:

amazon app Store: Aren't all the new apps going to be using the fire phone kinect API? You know the 4 cameras that control the amazon phone that are not available on the passport. Those apps will not work on the Quasimodo.

Android apps: android is changing thier runtime to ART instead of dalvik; this is something bb 10.3 will not address.

Bb world: no more native apps, bb just threw what little developers they have left, under the bus. No need for them now that the App Store has been outsourced to amazon.

Lastly, Not 64bit in 2014 = obsolete.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
As a former Blackberry user, I actually like the look of the Classic. I think the Passport is downright really hard to look at. I don't like it at all nor the name they gave it.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
As a former Blackberry user, I actually like the look of the Classic. I think the Passport is downright really hard to look at. I don't like it at all nor the name they gave it.

I do like the Classic as well. The Passport isn't THAT bad, I just can't imagine holding it. It looks far too square and wide for my hands.

Sent from a larger than life device using Tapatalk!

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry to say it but the passport looks mad ugly! The Classic however looks nice. If I were to ever buy another blackberry it would be the classic.

Sent from my Death Note

Brutal Efficiency

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Wow is it WIDE. i seriously have certain reservations that it could fit comfortably in an execs pocket.
It's a very ugly looking device, especially in the last pic, when you look at it dead on , it's just painful to watch. Kinda reminds me of the hunchback of notre dome, Quasimodo. Lol, (perhaps somebody can photoshop him in instead of Chen).

But seriously, I don't have faith the company will survive, and I will not buy a phone that is DOA:

amazon app Store: Aren't all the new apps going to be using the fire phone kinect API? You know the 4 cameras that control the amazon phone that are not available on the passport. Those apps will not work on the Quasimodo.

Android apps: android is changing thier runtime to ART instead of dalvik; this is something bb 10.3 will not address.

Bb world: no more native apps, bb just threw what little developers they have left, under the bus. No need for them now that the App Store has been outsourced to amazon.

I hear it fits fine into a pocket. My friends have told me so :)

I think those apps should still work on BlackBerry 10, regardless of whether they use that API or not. Amazon have other Android devices, and to cut them off like you're suggesting wouldn't be very smart.

BlackBerry SDK for app development is still being developed and will continue as per normal. They're just focusing on Enterprise/Productivity apps for BlackBerry World. The only difference is that Games will not be Featured in the 'Featured Apps' section.

Yes, 10.3 doesn't address this change to ART, because the change hasn't been made yet. Can't do it before Google does it!

Obsolete? Sorry, but is there a phone with more? Don't think so.

In the end, I have faith that the company will survive. BlackBerry 10 sales have improved. Costs are waaayyyyy down. You don't have to believe me though.

Posted via iMore App

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I hear it fits fine into a pocket. My friends have told me so :)

At 3.18 inches I disagree, sales will tell which one of us is right though. ;)

I think those apps should still work on BlackBerry 10, regardless of whether they use that API or not. Amazon have other Android devices, and to cut them off like you're suggesting wouldn't be very smart.

Think? Lol, ok then.
You mean the kindle fire? your foolish if you think amazon doesn't want developers to use the camera tracking API's to differentiate thier phone from the competition.

BlackBerry SDK for app development is still being developed and will continue as per normal. They're just focusing on Enterprise/Productivity apps for BlackBerry World. The only difference is use that Games will not be Featured in the 'Featured Apps' section.

Doesn't matter. Bb alienated their developers. They are not coming back.

"BlackBerry Shafts Native Developers In Light of Amazon Licensing Deal
Opinion"
http://n4bb.com/blackberry-shafts-native-developers-lieu-amazon-licensing-deal/

Yes, 10.3 doesn't address this change to ART, because the change hasn't been made yet. Can't do it before Google does it!

Well that's what happens when you ride someone else's coat tails.

Obsolete? Sorry, but is there a phone with more? Don't think so.

Yes obsolete. The iPhone 5s and soon iPhone 6 both are 64bit. Ios with the 64 ecosystem and 64 bit apps.
So 32 bit blackberry = obsolete or DOA.

In the end, I have faith that the company will survive. BlackBerry 10 sales have improved. Costs are waaayyyyy down. You don't have to believe me though.

Posted via iMore App

Why would I believe you when I know better?

From another thread:

Blackberry:
They can't compete. Blackberry is done.

As it stands, 54% of blackberry's revenue comes from services, almost all from service access fees on legacy BlackBerry 7 subscribers. 30 million legacy blackberry 7 subscribers have abandoned blackberry in the past year, the figure now remains at 50 million, but not for long. As more and more legacy blackberry users transition away from blackberry and into competing platforms and ecosystem service fees will continue to fall and blackberry will not have any new service revenue until January 2016, because they are giving it away for free in hopes of trying customers.

"The firm launched the EZ Pass program in March to switch over business customers to its BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 offering for free, including new customers coming from rivals. BlackBerry said Thursday more than 2,600 customers have registered under the program. But they won't begin paying support fees until January 2016"

http://m.europe.wsj.com/articles/he...on-blackberrys-turnaround-1403204064?mobile=y

Hardware revenue has been in decline for a while now, having fallen to 39% of revenue. Oh and blackberry 10 sales have fallen to 1 million a quarter, let me repeat that, 1 million A QUARTER. that's about 300,000 a month, that's it. That's nothing. Oh and that includes this bit of WARNING:
"which included shipments made and recognized prior to the first quarter and which reduced the Company's inventory in channel."

So basically that 1 million bb10 figure didn't actually happen in the quarter.

Oh and about that profit blackberry "earned", $23 million thanks to proceeds of $287 million on the sale their campus and other buildings, as well as receipt of a $397 million tax refund. So they will not have that extra $684 million windfall next quarter.

"BlackBerry ekes out a profit as revenue tumbles nearly 70 percent"

http://m.infoworld.com/d/the-indust...rcent-244664?mm_ref=https://www.google.co.uk/

http://news.morningstar.com/articlenet/article.aspx?id=651560

Yup I wonder how many blackberry 10 phones were actually sold last quarter, only 2. I mean they have the disclaimer up their, regarding recognizing "shipments made prior to the quarter" in that 1 million number.

Cheers.:)

Last edited:

Coachbulldog

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
The Passport is not be for me for the same reason I do not want a bigger screen iPhone. I'm not a fan of the oversized phones even though I know many, including iPhone users, want a device with a large screen. I prefer the screen size of my 5s. If I were going to consider a return to BlackBerry, I would check out the Z10 or the new Classic.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

mmcfly23

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm not a fan of the passport (very ugly device), however the classic looks decent.

Sent From ipizzle using Tapatalk

mmcfly23

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site

I agree, this device is hideous.
tagyzuby.jpg

Sent From ipizzle using Tapatalk

megajo123

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
As a current BlackBerry user, I have to agree with all you IPhone users, the BlackBerry passport is an extremely ugly device........I font see how the people back over at CrackBerry don't see it...I made a joke a few weeks ago on CrackBerry about the IPhone 6 looking like a 750 pound man sat on an IPhone 5S and flattened it out...and I can make the joke again about this ugly device (The IPhone 6's look pretty nice though), it looks like someone sat on a Q10 and flattened it, its fat and ugly, you cant make perfectly square edges on phones work unless you're Nokia, and don't even get me started on that keyboard.... The one thing every BlackBerry user loved is the thing that was completely remodeled in this device, recently things have been looking up for BlackBerry, but I think the release of this phone will be the ennnnnnddddd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit