Do all apps automatically get access to turn on camera?

joeyyep

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
I would just like to know a few things about the app permissions in the app store. It really makes no sense to me that Apple allows users to deny microphone access, but not camera access. Maybe in iOS 8. How can I view the permissions each apps want to use? Also, since iOS sandboxes apps, can an app use the camera when it is closed? I am not asking in a "tin foil hat" way, I am just generally untrustworthy of a lot of apps that I would like to try out and know some lesser known developers might not be so honest. Thanks!

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I would just like to know a few things about the app permissions in the app store. It really makes no sense to me that Apple allows users to deny microphone access, but not camera access. Maybe in iOS 8. How can I view the permissions each apps want to use? Also, since iOS sandboxes apps, can an app use the camera when it is closed? I am not asking in a "tin foil hat" way, I am just generally untrustworthy of a lot of apps that I would like to try out and know some lesser known developers might not be so honest. Thanks!

Every app must request access to things like the camera, contacts, photos, etc.

joeyyep

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Not with the camera. As a test, I downloaded a random 3rd party camera alternative, and it only denied microphone use. I was able to record a video (altough it was muted since I denied microphone access.) I can block almost everything that invades privacy, except the most invasive which is free access to my camera.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Not with the camera. As a test, I downloaded a random 3rd party camera alternative, and it only denied microphone use. I was able to record a video (altough it was muted since I denied microphone access.) I can block almost everything that invades privacy, except the most invasive which is free access to my camera.

Well... They expect that you're downloading a camera app to take pictures.

I recently reset my iPhone and reinstalled everything and apps such as snapchat and Instagram DID ask my permission to use camera/access photos as well as the mic.