Thinking about switching from blackberry to iphone, need your advice.

ChrFerreira

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I used to be a blackberry user, but now I'm thinking about buying the next iphone 6.

I presently have a BB Q10, love is keyboard, don't use a lot of apps and need a phone wich could be more a tools than a toy. I'm a PhD student in law.

1) So I need to have access to all my mails, I don't really know if the iphone allow us to sync old emails(gmail and live)?
2) I need to sync my podcasts, RSS feeds.
3) I use dropbox and box, don't really use office on my phone I have my macbook pro for it.
4) The calendar is REALLY important for me.
5) I'd like an interaction between my mails and my calendar or others apps.
6) I'd like to scan and organize my pdf files.
7) I don't want to be forced to use a service like iclood to save my documents I want to be allowed to use my phone in standalone. I'm not always in my country and don't always have access to wifi and don't want to have to use too much data.

In fact I think I use my phone only for small tasks (for exemple to read pdf but not to edit them), for the others I use my computer.

I don't know if the iphone'd be the better choice for my usage, maybe an adroid could be better?

What do you think?

PS: Sorry for my english.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
From what I gather from my initial "glance" of your post, the iPhone should be sufficient...:)

ChrFerreira

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
LOL I like your "should be sufficient", this is an high end phone I don't want it's only sufficient I want it's the better choice.
Strangely I never used an Iphone, and my kinfolk don't have the same usage than mine so I can't have my answers.

But thanks for your answer.

From what I gather from my initial "glance" of your post, the iPhone should be sufficient...:)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
LOL I like your "should be sufficient",
Thanks
this is an high end phone I don't want it's only sufficient I want it's the better choice.
I understand, but only YOU can make that determination.
Strangely I never used an Iphone, and my kinfolk don't have the same usage than mine so I can't have my answers.
That's the point. The iPhone "should be sufficient" based on the items you mentioned in your initial post, but again, only YOU can know for certain.

But thanks for your answer.
You're very welcome...:)

Coachbulldog

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I used to be a blackberry user, but now I'm thinking about buying the next iphone 6.

Like a lot of us here, I'm a former BlackBerry user. At one time, I was a huge BlackBerry defender but after making the switch several years ago I would not go back. I tell you this so you will know the perspective I'm coming from.

I presently have a BB Q10, love is keyboard, don't use a lot of apps and need a phone wich could be more a tools than a toy. I'm a PhD student in law.

I will take you at your word that you're sincere, but the "tools-toys" comment raise sets off a troll alert with me. Even though the "tools not toys" slogan campaign was a massive failure for BlackBerry, BlackBerry users still use it attempting to make the case that their phone is for serious users and all other phones are nothing more than playthings.

1) So I need to have access to all my mails, I don't really know if the iphone allow us to sync old emails(gmail and live)?

I am a high school teacher and exchange massive amounts of email with students, parents, and colleagues. In all of my years of using an iPhone and I've never found the iPhone's email app to be lacking.

I listen to several podcasts and enjoy using the iPhone's podcast app. I know many others who use a third-party app for podcasts, but either way you will find listening to podcasts on the iPhone flawless. I do not subscribe to RSS feeds so I cannot speak to the iPhones capability on that.

3) I use dropbox and box, don't really use office on my phone I have my macbook pro for it.

I use dropbox extensively and have found the iPhone great. Since you have a MacBook you will like the sync between your computer and phone.

The calendar is REALLY important to me as well, and I have no problem using the native iPhone calendar. There are many others here on iMore that prefer a third-party calendar app, but since I don't use any of those I cannot comment about them.

I'm not sure what you're asking here. What apps do you want your calendar and email to be able to interact with.

I don't do a lot of scanning with my phone, but I do store PDF's on my phone and iBooks works for me.

7) I don't want to be forced to use a service like iclood to save my documents I want to be allowed to use my phone in standalone. I'm not always in my country and don't always have access to wifi and don't want to have to use too much data.

As I said earlier, I save my documents in Dropbox. No iPhone user is "forced" to use iCloud for anything although it is a great feature for backing up your calendar, contacts, and syncing between the iPhone and Mac.

In fact I think I use my phone only for small tasks (for exemple to read pdf but not to edit them), for the others I use my computer.

If this is the case, the iPhone will meet your needs. As I wrote before, I have several PDF files on my iPhone and use iBooks to read them without problem.

I don't know if the iphone'd be the better choice for my usage, maybe an adroid could be better?

I know nothing about Android devices and very little about the new BlackBerry 10 phones. Here is what I do know, I now own a iPhone 5s and 50% of the time I use it for work related activities. In the time that I've owned iPhones I have been happy with the way I could complete work with them. Good luck and I hope you find the phone that works best for you.

ChrFerreira

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
Thank you very much fow your answer, sorry for my distinction between tools and toys, I don't want to say that the Iphone is more a toy than a tools, if it was the case I never thought about switching to it.

It's great to share with people, it allow me to improve my english and to make an lightened choice, as I said, I'm a student so my phone choice is not easy, I don't have money to put in the bad device.

In fact I think my choice is done, I want an Iphone but want to be at ease with my choice.

Like a lot of us here, I'm a former BlackBerry user. At one time, I was a huge BlackBerry defender but after making the switch several years ago I would not go back. I tell you this so you will know the perspective I'm coming from.

I will take you at your word that you're sincere, but the "tools-toys" comment raise sets off a troll alert with me. Even though the "tools not toys" slogan campaign was a massive failure for BlackBerry, BlackBerry users still use it attempting to make the case that their phone is for serious users and all other phones are nothing more than playthings.

I am a high school teacher and exchange massive amounts of email with students, parents, and colleagues. In all of my years of using an iPhone and I've never found the iPhone's email app to be lacking.

I listen to several podcasts and enjoy using the iPhone's podcast app. I know many others who use a third-party app for podcasts, but either way you will find listening to podcasts on the iPhone flawless. I do not subscribe to RSS feeds so I cannot speak to the iPhones capability on that.

I use dropbox extensively and have found the iPhone great. Since you have a MacBook you will like the sync between your computer and phone.

The calendar is REALLY important to me as well, and I have no problem using the native iPhone calendar. There are many others here on iMore that prefer a third-party calendar app, but since I don't use any of those I cannot comment about them.

I'm not sure what you're asking here. What apps do you want your calendar and email to be able to interact with.

I don't do a lot of scanning with my phone, but I do store PDF's on my phone and iBooks works for me.

As I said earlier, I save my documents in Dropbox. No iPhone user is "forced" to use iCloud for anything although it is a great feature for backing up your calendar, contacts, and syncing between the iPhone and Mac.

If this is the case, the iPhone will meet your needs. As I wrote before, I have several PDF files on my iPhone and use iBooks to read them without problem.

I know nothing about Android devices and very little about the new BlackBerry 10 phones. Here is what I do know, I now own a iPhone 5s and 50% of the time I use it for work related activities. In the time that I've owned iPhones I have been happy with the way I could complete work with them. Good luck and I hope you find the phone that works best for you.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
You don't have to use icloud but it is very addictive, especially if you have a mac. Apples iwork suite is free with the purchase of a new iPhone btw.
Good luck ;).

wb12746

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
For what you are doing, you should switch to the Blackberry Z30?
You use your phone very similar to myself, I have the Z30 and it is perfect.
The screen size of perfect!

Here is why;

HUB; all you emails/calendar events/tasks/texts/BBM all here - one location (not available on an iPhone)

email; easily handles multiple email accounts sorted via the HUB! iPhone does not compare when managing multiple email accounts.

Dropbox OR Box - works seamlessly with Blackberry - automatically send pictures, etc. OR manually "share" anything to Dropbox - no issues here

Calender; manages multiple calenders with individual colors - again, in the HUB you have a quick glance also! Also leave the calender app as an active frame like I do and you always see you appointments just by glancing at the phones' home screen!

PDF; ANY document you have on you MAC - simply print-to-go to your amazing Z30 and its on your phone. I use this always! The screen size makes the Z30 perfect for reviewing documents!

Keyboard; the vertual keyboard with suggested words is second to none!

If you are going to switch away from a Blackberry, the next best phone is the Android (Nexus or Samsung).

lui22

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone,

What do you think?

PS: Sorry for my english.

This is my area. I know pretty much the ins-and-outs.

1) emails- you cant set how far back you want your emails to be downloaded. That being said, you can always query gmail with keywords on specific emails and the device will output emails as far back as the day you made the gmail.
2) podcasts- iTunes is good enough on podcasts and there are plenty of RSS readers on the appstore
3) the boxes- there is no native sync what so ever. So you will have to unfortunately download the apps, same goes with accessing your computer drive over the network. You will need to figure out the least expensive and most intuitive way to go about this.
4) calendar- your Q10s calendar is way better- there is no comparison.
5) mail with calendar- iOS is smart enough to know when your talking about a date in an email and will highlight the date and when you click on it you can set up an appointment, most of the time
6) pdf- not possible natively nor can you edit PDF natively. Again you will need to figure out the least expensive and most intuitive way to go about this.
7) abroad stuff- unfortunately for now your stuck with icloud until iOS8 and even then you still have to deal with it. You can get office for iPad but only on iPad. And honestly with iPhones minuscule keyboard you wouldn't want to do documents on it. The documents are saved on icloud as well as locally on your iPhone so your good there.

Android... its really the same thing except you have google drive. I dont like android but that just my personal thing. If you get a device like the Nexus 5 and you compare it to BB10 you will find it- lacking and boring. Honestly having a 5S a iPad miniRd a nexus 5 a PlayBook Q/Z10 I can say that out of all of those I pick my Q10 for my daily driver and my Mini for everything else. The Q10 feels like it wants to get used like it wants to be out and about syncing sending creating not being a paperweight or being a toy.

If you switch cold turkey you'll end up back in Black. I want to say dont listen to those who switch years ago that "defended BlackBerry but will never go back" and that those people are too closed off in their little world to know that every OS has something to bring to the table, but people will take offense to it. Listen take it form someone who is actively using everything. YOU ARE MISSING OUT IF YOU STAY WITH BB10, AND YOU WILL BE MISSING OUT ALOT WHEN YOU SWITCH TO ANDROID OR iOS.

They keyboard is fantastic on your Q10. Nothing else in the market comes close to it. The BB10 virtual keyboard is good but theres nothing better that tactile feedback. If they iPhone 8 has a wider screen with more room for a better keyboard then it may be a contender for the Virtual keyboard but until then the king of communication is still your Q10.

I say if your going to do it then jump. But you will miss your Q10

Last edited:

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
For what you are doing, you should switch to the Blackberry Z30?
You use your phone very similar to myself, I have the Z30 and it is perfect.
The screen size of perfect!

Here is why;

HUB; all you emails/calendar events/tasks/texts/BBM all here - one location (not available on an iPhone)

email; easily handles multiple email accounts sorted via the HUB! iPhone does not compare when managing multiple email accounts.

Dropbox OR Box - works seamlessly with Blackberry - automatically send pictures, etc. OR manually "share" anything to Dropbox - no issues here

Calender; manages multiple calenders with individual colors - again, in the HUB you have a quick glance also! Also leave the calender app as an active frame like I do and you always see you appointments just by glancing at the phones' home screen!

PDF; ANY document you have on you MAC - simply print-to-go to your amazing Z30 and its on your phone. I use this always! The screen size makes the Z30 perfect for reviewing documents!

Keyboard; the vertual keyboard with suggested words is second to none!

If you are going to switch away from a Blackberry, the next best phone is the Android (Nexus or Samsung).

Why would anybody pay money for an EOL phone?

Coachbulldog

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Why would anybody pay money for an EOL phone?

Maybe it is like the "Last Post Wins" thread we have here on iMore. The consumer with the last BlackBerry produced wins. That contest could be decided soon!

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Maybe it is like the "Last Post Wins" thread we have here on iMore. The consumer with the last BlackBerry produced wins. That contest could be decided soon!

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

Soon....
8yzymysy.jpg

ChrFerreira

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
I know the capacities of BB10, I love it BUT I must admit than Iphone is more supported by third. A lot of accesories, every apps...
I know it can be contrary to my first post, and BB10 can run android apps, but BB10 doesn't work with apps which need a google account and unfortunatly some of my needs are there. An exemple, I'm french and the french train company have an app on android and Iphone, an app which was ported to BB10 BUT it doesn't work on my Q10, I can use my phone as a Mobile billet.
Google maps is usable on my Q10 but I can't save maps offline which is good for me when I'm in a foreign city...

For those who suggest android, sorry but I don't really like it, I don't know why I find it unharmonized.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I know the capacities of BB10, I love it BUT I must admit than Iphone is more supported by third. A lot of accesories, every apps...
I know it can be contrary to my first post, and BB10 can run android apps, but BB10 doesn't work with apps which need a google account and unfortunatly some of my needs are there. An exemple, I'm french and the french train company have an app on android and Iphone, an app which was ported to BB10 BUT it doesn't work on my Q10, I can use my phone as a Mobile billet.
Google maps is usable on my Q10 but I can't save maps offline which is good for me when I'm in a foreign city...

For those who suggest android, sorry but I don't really like it, I don't know why I find it unharmonized.

Not only that but the android apps make bb unsecured, it turns out the phone logs passwords entered into the password field, specifically the side loaded android apps, then the keyboard starts to show you you passwords as a predictive suggestion. Amateurs.

6yva5e9a.jpg

anon3230140

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Not only that but the android apps make bb unsecured, it turns out the phone logs passwords entered into the password field, specifically the side loaded android apps, then the keyboard starts to show you you passwords as a predictive suggestion. Amateurs.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/09/6yva5e9a.jpg

I feel the need to correct this bit of false info by the poster. BB10 does not log your password. It is firstly, impossible. What happens is when a person has mistakenly typed their password in say for instance.. their username field more than once, the phone picks that up as it learns new words like any good keyboard/auto correct should.

By default every password is set to show as asterisk's and even when you click on the symbol so you see what you're typing it never learns it and never suggests words when you're typing in a password field. If you however type in another text field and it notices your letters are similar to what it picked up when you incorrectly typed in a username or other text field etc.. it would suggest it.

The same applies to other websites like facebook etc.. it happens to me all the time when i hit tab thinking it's moved to the password field and then realise i'm still typing in the username field. Didn't realise until another time i tried to log into facebook and noticed my password in the drop down that facebook auto suggests when you type the first letter in the username field. Feel free to test it yourself.

Quit with the false information sharing. It's rather immature.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I feel the need to correct this bit of false info by the poster. BB10 does not log your password. It is firstly, impossible. What happens is when a person has mistakenly typed their password in say for instance.. their username field more than once, the phone picks that up as it learns new words like any good keyboard/auto correct should.

By default every password is set to show as asterisk's and even when you click on the symbol so you see what you're typing it never learns it and never suggests words when you're typing in a password field. If you however type in another text field and it notices your letters are similar to what it picked up when you incorrectly typed in a username or other text field etc.. it would suggest it.

The same applies to other websites like facebook etc.. it happens to me all the time when i hit tab thinking it's moved to the password field and then realise i'm still typing in the username field. Didn't realise until another time i tried to log into facebook and noticed my password in the drop down that facebook auto suggests when you type the first letter in the username field. Feel free to test it yourself.

Quit with the false information sharing. It's rather immature.

sazesy9a.jpg

"My passwords are showing in predictive text when typing"
http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=936823

The passwords are actually showing up in the keyboards predictive word suggestion

This must be quite embarrassing for you, I'm not going to call you immature.

Ps: the iPhones keyboard doesn't do that does that mean it's better? I think it does :).

ChrFerreira

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
Oh please I didn't create this thread to make a competition between IOS and BB10. I'm just a consumer not a supporter the two OSs can coexist and we can accept than they have both advantage and disadvantage.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox