Kudos to Apple

z33dev33l

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
As a smartphone fan in general but predominately a Windows Phone user I have to say, hats off to Apple. This is the first time in a long time that I feel they've focused on improving features that are already there rather than adding a couple minor features and calling it new. I don't think that any mobile OS has ever offered an update anywhere near this compelling and that's tough to say. If I could get used to the tiny screen and the... aesthetics of the UI, I might consider using one as my daily driver for a few weeks. Either way, I'll be updating my 5S and you can rest assured you'll have a review from another mobile OS's fanbase really quick that isn't just going to be unrelenting hate (Provided there's not another Apple maps fiasco.)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
As a smartphone fan in general but predominately a Windows Phone user I have to say, hats off to Apple. This is the first time in a long time that I feel they've focused on improving features that are already there rather than adding a couple minor features and calling it new. I don't think that any mobile OS has ever offered an update anywhere near this compelling and that's tough to say. If I could get used to the tiny screen and the... aesthetics of the UI, I might consider using one as my daily driver for a few weeks. Either way, I'll be updating my 5S and you can rest assured you'll have a review from another mobile OS's fanbase really quick that isn't just going to be unrelenting hate (Provided there's not another Apple maps fiasco.)

Kudos, indeed, and like FFR, I look forward to reading your analysis.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Oh wow, we don't get many Windows Phone users come around here giving thoughts about iOS 8...looking forward to your review...

It's going to be good insights, I am sure.

z33dev33l

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Oh wow, we don't get many Windows Phone users come around here giving thoughts about iOS 8...looking forward to your review...

It's going to be good insights, I am sure.

I gave a pretty thorough review of iOS 7 when it first came out too. My initial distaste all the way to my growing to like it outside of the small size and useless keyboard.

z33dev33l

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Feel free to give analyses here in iMore, it's always welcome.

Honestly, with the introduction of the Flesky keyboard, I feel my biggest complaint will be the size. I've grown accustomed to my 6 inch screen...

That and I've never thought iOS was too aesthetically pleasing from a design perspective.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, with the introduction of the Flesky keyboard, I feel my biggest complaint will be the size. I've grown accustomed to my 6 inch screen...

That and I've never thought iOS was too aesthetically pleasing from a design perspective.

Really? I have always thought iOS was one of the most aesthetically pleasing...

Alik Malix

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Really? I have always thought iOS was one of the most aesthetically pleasing...

I think iOS 7 aesthetically and coherently is ages ahead of anything the competition has to offer. I have every motion, blur, and animation turned on. The colors of stock apps make sense when you're on the fly and need to tap on certain app within a micro-second without looking twice or searching. Your mind is trained to look for magenta/pink colors when it comes to music, lite green for communication, orange and gray for tools, lite blues for information, and white for data entry. If I had to guess, Apple specifically left Reds, Dark Blues, Greens, Yellows (popular colors) out knowing third party will more likely use those, thus it will be easier for a user to train the brain to scan using certain colors. All this may be moot, but I have plethora of apps and after iOS 7 I dont spend time looking for an app (and when I mean "spend time" - a short fraction of a second is time spend too long, instinctively tapping an app without an extra though is a design done right.

But the frosty overlay, and mild zoom in/out details when you wake up your phone, look inside an app folder, open/close apps, feels like reality in your hands, like second nature, human like - I have no idea how to explain it. It's how your mind does not have to process design aspect of interaction with a machine - it reacts to what your brain perceives, But the rest only see pastel colors.

z33dev33l

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I guess the static rows of inactive icons just never did it for me. For years when I was a more petty phone fan, I called iOS, "A glorified app launcher." and saw little else to it. It's grown exponentially these past few years as an OS and as such I respect it now but I still just can't seem to enjoy the static rows of icons.

altimax98

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
I agree with the OP. I have been a diehard Android guy for many years now. While I will never give up my Google integrations, I am very intrigued by iOS8 and what Apple is doing.

I felt a change in Apples philosophy that I hope continues. It was less, we tell you what you want and you accept it, and more of "we hear your concerns, your right, here is where we start to fix those". With that mentality I will be switching from my HTC One M8 to the new iPhone. I cannot use the small 5S but I will get the larger models. This will be my first iPhone because I finally feel iOS is offering what they have lacked for years now.

Yes, iOS copied many features from Googles play book. But what they did right was HOW they integrated those features. Interactive notifications > Expandable notifications, Native WiFi Calling > Carrier installed WiFi Calling, Continuity > Any prior implication of it...

When I say I am a diehard Android user, I mean I used to bash iPhones all the time, make childish jabs and fun of friends using them... But having something great, and having it work well and consistent is just not what Android provides... It doesn't seem like you have to choose between done well, and doing it all anymore, Apple seems to be doing it all, and well.

I am very very impressed with what Apple did yesterday, I just picked up my iPad rMini and sold my Nexus tablet... Bring it on apple!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I agree with the OP. I have been a diehard Android guy for many years now. While I will never give up my Google integrations, I am very intrigued by iOS8 and what Apple is doing.

I felt a change in Apples philosophy that I hope continues. It was less, we tell you what you want and you accept it, and more of "we hear your concerns, your right, here is where we start to fix those". With that mentality I will be switching from my HTC One M8 to the new iPhone. I cannot use the small 5S but I will get the larger models. This will be my first iPhone because I finally feel iOS is offering what they have lacked for years now.

Yes, iOS copied many features from Googles play book. But what they did right was HOW they integrated those features. Interactive notifications > Expandable notifications, Native WiFi Calling > Carrier installed WiFi Calling, Continuity > Any prior implication of it...

When I say I am a diehard Android user, I mean I used to bash iPhones all the time, make childish jabs and fun of friends using them... But having something great, and having it work well and consistent is just not what Android provides... It doesn't seem like you have to choose between done well, and doing it all anymore, Apple seems to be doing it all, and well.

I am very very impressed with what Apple did yesterday, I just picked up my iPad rMini and sold my Nexus tablet... Bring it on apple!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah. I was about to pull the trigger and buy a htc one M8, because I was frustrated with apples closed-ness. but I think this keynote solved almost all my issues. Now I just need a bigger phone.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77