What does iMore think of Windows Phone 8.1?

z33dev33l

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I came when the 5s first came out and wrote a bit of a review for the 5s and iOS 7 as a whole. Overall, I liked the OS outside of the keyboard which I deemed near unusable. So, that said, my mobile OS of choice is having it's next big update and it's a thoroughly compelling update. We're getting Cortana for all you HALO fans out there, we're getting a proper notification center, and we're improving on the already industry-leading keyboard turning it into the fastest keyboard in day to day use. So, I don't know if any of you have a vested interest in Smartphones that aren't iOS but what are your thoughts on WP8?

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I was a former win 6.1 user and I heard the new 8.1 is pretty polished but I haven't had the privilege to try it out because sprint doesn't carry win phones

z33dev33l

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I was a former win 6.1 user and I heard the new 8.1 is pretty polished but I haven't had the privilege to try it out because sprint doesn't carry win phones

Yeah, Sprint's selection of Windows Phones are laughable at best. 8.1 isn't actually publicly available just yet but it's a pretty compelling OS. Had I not switched prior, I'd be doing so now.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
When it actually comes out for my Lumia 1020 in Singapore, then I could actually give some thoughts of my own, but it's still not on there yet...

Maybe in the coming months or weeks...

z33dev33l

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
When it actually comes out for my Lumia 1020 in Singapore, then I could actually give some thoughts of my own, but it's still not on there yet...

Maybe in the coming months or weeks...

I'm not sure what Singapore's update schedule looks like but I know that support for it officially starts early June so I'd expect a broad rollout soon after. The developer preview is pretty fleshed out though.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure what Singapore's update schedule looks like but I know that support for it officially starts early June so I'd expect a broad rollout soon after. The developer preview is pretty fleshed out though.

Is that so, if so there is much cause to rejoice then. :)

The new features are actually looking pretty good on the new platform, it seems, from what I saw of the WPcentral coverage so far.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
As far as I'm concerned the only main issue the platform has remaining is getting apps. If they get that sorted out, I can honestly see myself using it.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I'd like to pick up one just to use on the aide to keep up with it. But the 520 is too low speed I think and I don't have a spare 400 dollars or whatever for a 925.

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm tempted to get a Lumia Icon to try out windows phone. I'm quite impress with MS after everything I've seen them do with WP and especially their surface lineup. I don't have any tablets atm but that Surface 3 has caught my attention. I might be getting a job at VZW pretty soon so I'll be using that as a chance to play with a WP!

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm tempted to get a Lumia Icon to try out windows phone. I'm quite impress with MS after everything I've seen them do with WP and especially their surface lineup. I don't have any tablets atm but that Surface 3 has caught my attention. I might be getting a job at VZW pretty soon so I'll be using that as a chance to play with a WP!

Yeah, I'm interested in a surface 3 as we'll, but wonder if it'll be hard to incorporate with my apple ecosystem (iPhone, iPad, appletv) maybe it's a complete non issue?

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I'm interested in a surface 3 as we'll, but wonder if it'll be hard to incorporate with my apple ecosystem (iPhone, iPad, appletv) maybe it's a complete non issue?

Yeah I'm in the same boat. I already have an iPhone and a MBP so I feel like an iPad would be the better choice for me. I also have a win7 PC so I probably don't need a surface in the first place.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I'm in the same boat. I already have an iPhone and a MBP so I feel like an iPad would be the better choice for me. I also have a win7 PC so I probably don't need a surface in the first place.

I do think the surface is a neat device though, at least in concept. I don't really mind getting something to replace a laptop or tablet, but only if that thing is going to do both those things we'll. but for the price of a surface pro 3 I'd want to use (i5, 256gb model) you could get a iPad mini and a MacBook Air or we'll speced windows laptop.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
From what I've seen, Windows 8.1 looks quite nice. Unfortunately, I haven't actually used it for myself to get an overall feel for it.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking of trying a windows phone when I was upgrading my 4S and then return it within my carriers return window but Bell (Canada) didn't have windows phones available at the time so I got the 5S instead.

Sent from my Jailbroken 5th gen iPod touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

z33dev33l

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to pick up one just to use on the aide to keep up with it. But the 520 is too low speed I think and I don't have a spare 400 dollars or whatever for a 925.

For the record, you can pick up a new 920 as low as $120 when they have special deals (Pretty often) or a 925 around $179. The 520 will give you pretty much the full experience minus Glance screen and the front facing camera so to test drive, it's an outstanding device. It might take a second longer to load some apps and not play a few top-tier games but it's good.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I went through a 521, 810, and a 925. Tried Windows 8, then the developer preview of 8.1. I just... I don't like the UI.

I'm not Apple bias either. I'm on a BlackBerry Z30 right now and I use a Note 3 too.

Sent from the bigger Berry using Tapatalk.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site

Got my 925 for $165. Deals are to be had. HSN has it for $200 new... they did last week at least.

Sent from the bigger Berry using Tapatalk.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77