Apple/Samsung jury reached a verdict

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Here's the skinny:

http://www.imore.com/verdict-reached-apple-v-samsung-case-120-million-damages-apple

After deliberation, the jury finds:

Samsung is guilty of violating patent 5,946,647 (the autocorrect text entry patent) with all devices named in this suit.
Samsung was found not guilty of violating the 6.847.959 patent (Apple's Spotlight search)
Samsung was found not guilty of violating the 7,761,414 patent (data synchronization patent)
Samsung was found guilty of violating the 8,046,721 patent (slide-to-unlock) on some devices named, but not all

The jury ruled that Samsung owe Apple $119.6 million in damages.

The court also ruled that Apple had infringed on some of Samsung’s patents and awarded the company $$158,400 in damages.

Last edited:

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I do think it's silly that you can patent slide to unlock. Should be a ubiquitous thing.

But yeah, seems like a more reasonable amount of money compared to 2 billon. I think apple just threw that out there to see if they can get it.

Anyway, I don't think we should get worked up about multimillion dollar companies fighting it out in court and being fined what is essentially pocket change to them.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Good. Has Samsung ever had an original idea?

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums app

Um, quite a bit actualy. really, they've been Introducing new things to their phones since the S3 or earlier. I think a lot if not all these patent claims were from the GS 2.

DroidArmy

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
I do think it's silly that you can patent slide to unlock. Should be a ubiquitous thing.

But yeah, seems like a more reasonable amount of money compared to 2 billon. I think apple just threw that out there to see if they can get it.

Anyway, I don't think we should get worked up about multimillion dollar companies fighting it out in court and being fined what is essentially pocket change to them.

It's not silly at all. Have you ever read the stories of how the iPhone came to be? They spent a ton of time trying to figure out an innovative and simple way to unlock the touch screen. That's their invention, and not anybody else's. It's their patent because they invented it.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen