Do you think people get so caught up in the specs of a device, they forget to actually enjoy it?

Coachbulldog

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I've always had three questions about any technology: (1) Can I depend on the tech product? (2) Is the tech product easy to use? (3) Does the tech product perform the tasks I need and want it to do? Since making the switch front BlackBerry three years ago, I would give the iPhone five stars in each of these categories.

It got to the point with BlackBerry that I could no longer depend on it. Numerous appearances of the "hourglass of doom" and endless battery pulls got to be too much. BlackBerry also no longer did what I needed and wanted from my phone. Poor camera and lack of apps made the decision to move to Apple's iPhone an easy one. The only tech specification I have any knowledge of is the size of storage so I know how much music and how many photos I can store on my phone. I also understand why battery life is important, but all of the tech numbers that describe the phones hardware mean very little to me. Dependable, easy to use, and does what I want/need it to do is all that matters.

z33dev33l

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Not at all, my Lumia 920 with it's dated processor was running circles around every other device on the market when it came out and the specs were generally last year's model even when it first came out.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
The specs might initially draw me in but I've got my own reasoning. I've bought a lot of decent devices (5s for example) that just didn't jive with me. I care about the not only the functionality but the way it feels, looks, etc.

Buying a phone purely on specs happens but for me to keep them, they've got to have something more substantial.

I have to enjoy them.

Sent from a larger than life device using Tapatalk!

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The specs might initially draw me in but I've got my own reasoning. I've bought a lot of decent devices (5s for example) that just didn't jive with me. I care about the not only the functionality but the way it feels, looks, etc.

Buying a phone purely on specs happens but for me to keep them, they've got to have something more substantial.

I have to enjoy them.

Sent from a larger than life device using Tapatalk!

Yup, and that's exactly why you went with the 5c...instead of a 5s, anyone else probably would have done the opposite, so that speaks volumes...

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Yup, and that's exactly why you went with the 5c...instead of a 5s, anyone else probably would have done the opposite, so that speaks volumes...

It's crazy but the blue color, it brings variety to my life. When I see it, I smile. There are so many pretty little cases and trinkets for it. I'm not usually very girly but this phone lets me be that...

My Note 3 is like a tablet. Only small enough to take with me everywhere. I do use the pen, though not very creatively. Haha.

My BlackBerry Z10 is a great phone but the battery life, I've had enough. It's my primary line and I don't have the patience to keep it near a charger.

Which is why I'm awaiting my Z30 today. =]

Sent from the one in beautiful blue using Tapatalk.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It's crazy but the blue color, it brings variety to my life. When I see it, I smile. There are so many pretty little cases and trinkets for it. I'm not usually very girly but this phone lets me be that...

My Note 3 is like a tablet. Only small enough to take with me everywhere. I do use the pen, though not very creatively. Haha.

My BlackBerry Z10 is a great phone but the battery life, I've had enough. It's my primary line and I don't have the patience to keep it near a charger.

Which is why I'm awaiting my Z30 today. =]

Sent from the one in beautiful blue using Tapatalk.
I like the Z30 but currently the Blackberry ecosystem seems so underwhelming to me to be able to consider using the platform as a daily driver again...

I want to see what's post Z3 to see what's next for the company...

nason54

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Talking about specs on a phone is like that of a few who builds their own desktop computers. What kind of motherboard, graphics card, and RAM is something that these people talk about like which brand of mother board is the best and how smooth and fluid their experiences are with playing games or doing heavy duty work.

I'm guessing that's the same with our smartphones.

It is something to be in awe about but nothing to really brag. All my friends really talk about what kind of phones they have and if it fits with our needs and if it occasionally has lags here and there. THEN, we'll talk about specs because it's like talking about computers, which pretty much is.

But I still enjoy my device knowing and not knowing of the specs my phone has. But our friends agree, we talk about them because we're in awe of them of how far cellphones/smartphones have come not to show off saying we got the best.

Sent from my awesome iPhone 5, soon to be 6 later this year.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Specs determine how well the device can be supported and how long. Features can be added as the OS adds them if the hardware supports it. It can be kept up to date longer with minimal performance regression. Specs are still very important as long. As long as your device meets a decent baseline you should be good. None of Blackberry's devices out there really measure up. The hardware in them is just not good anymore.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Yes, many do get caught up in specs and performance issues to the point they can't just enjoy their device. I SMH every time someone shows a screenshot of their battery usage. They tell me nothing. Mine tells me I'm on my phone too much and ignoring my chores. :)

Sent from from my iPhone 5

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Yes, many do get caught up in specs and performance issues to the point they can't just enjoy their device. I SMH every time someone shows a screenshot of their battery usage. They tell me nothing. Mine tells me I'm on my phone too much and ignoring my chores. :)

Sent from from my iPhone 5

I think the same thing when I look at my usage LOL:rotfl:

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site
For apple building the hardware and the software, specification and numbers doesn't really matter because they master the hardware and the software together and both work seamlessly as if they were town born to live and cooperate together.
As for other devices like samsung HTC etc... they just own the hardware and they have no clue how heavy the next year software will be, so to not have users disappointed, they need to feel up the phone hardware with computer specs in the hope that not only the actual android os will run well in it, but also the next coming android os will also be able to run smoothly in the hardware in case it comes heavy.
I have always laugh all the time at these phone comparisons every time I come across on S5 vs 5s etc... review.
I own the hardware and the software and master both of them, if I can make sure that 1gb of ram can handle heavy video making app, why should I load 4gb of ram in the hardware? It's pointless.
I just own the hardware and that company own the software I will load in it, I have no idea how hungry CPU and ram the soon to be release android be, better safe than sorry, I will load into my hardware the most I can of ram and CPU, that way I can make sure that my hardware will be able to run their software for another 1year. And even though they load higher specs to their hardware, you will find yourself pushing the screen every so often just to select an app or to type a message. The software just don't understand the hardware and they both conflicting all the time in order to work. Not like apple who own the software and the hardware where everything work seamlessly until you decide to mess up yourself the Var or stash directory. Otherwise, the chances that you get an unsupported ios version of an app into your device is thin with the App Store, and the chances that you get a corrupted files via blue tooth sharing or else to alter with the system files are inexistent as well.

So sure if I was to buy anything android housing phone, I would search for the most specs high hardware to be on the safe side for the next 1year to come, but if I chose to go Apple, I just don't have anything to worry about specs for the next 2 to 3 years to come.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Specs determine how well the device can be supported and how long. Features can be added as the OS adds them if the hardware supports it. It can be kept up to date longer with minimal performance regression. Specs are still very important as long. As long as your device meets a decent baseline you should be good. None of Blackberry's devices out there really measure up. The hardware in them is just not good anymore.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk.

Apparently nobody has told Google this then.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW