Spotlight Search on iPhone and Text Messages

Mr. Marco

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
I noticed while using Spotlight Search on my iPhone that old text messages (very old in fact) pop up. Now the actual messages in the messages app are deleted. Seems to be old data hanging around. My question is where is this data being stored and how can I delete it?

And yes I know I can turn off what Spotlight is able to pull up within the settings. I am asking where are the old text messages being stored and how to delete them? Thanks.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I noticed while using Spotlight Search on my iPhone that old text messages (very old in fact) pop up. Now the actual messages in the messages app are deleted. Seems to be old data hanging around. My question is where is this data being stored and how can I delete it?

And yes I know I can turn off what Spotlight is able to pull up within the settings. I am asking where are the old text messages being stored and how to delete them? Thanks.

Have you actually deleted those messages from your iPhone or are you assuming they're deleted because you can't see them?

Mr. Marco

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
Not sure what you mean. I delete them in the messages app by side swiping the conversation then tapping delete. If you are eluding that there is a true way to delete messages please do tell.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Those are cached files that's people have been complaining about for quite some time and the only way that I'm aware of to rid the device of them is to restore it.

Mr. Marco

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
Yep, or just update the device via OTA. Either way works. :)
I have done OTA updates and messages from many months ago still appear in Spotlight Search. I thought Apple is big on privacy and security. If a user is deleting a message from within the message app that usually means they no longer want it on the phone. Why have this cache taking up memory?

And it's not like the cached messages are useful. Depending on the length of the message, it is cut off in Spotlight Search and you can click on it from Spotlight Search and it takes you to an empty Messages App.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Those are cached files that's people have been complaining about for quite some time and the only way that I'm aware of to rid the device of them is to restore it.

This is pretty much the only course of action right now. Those cached files are a PITA.

Yep, or just update the device via OTA. Either way works. :)

As long as the current state of the backup the user is using is on the phone, it won't matter the method of updating the OS. A clean restore is the only option (for now).

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I have done OTA updates and messages from many months ago still appear in Spotlight Search. I thought Apple is big on privacy and security. If a user is deleting a message from within the message app that usually means they no longer want it on the phone. Why have this cache taking up memory?

And it's not like the cached messages are useful. Depending on the length of the message, it is cut off in Spotlight Search and you can click on it from Spotlight Search and it takes you to an empty Messages App.

It worked for me...