Police search of cellphones during traffic stop

Elizabeth2

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I am not relinquishing my cell phone for any reason to anyone. Period!

The impending ruling could very well determine if police will have unfettered access to the enormous amount of data on our cellphones whenever then choose. It will be interesting to see how the Supreme Court rules.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
Can the police enter your home, and search your computer without a warrant ? Not that I'm aware of. The same should apply to cellphones. I can see their argument now, terrorist use cellphones ...

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Dear god, please tell me this isn't a thing in the States?

There is no way on this green earth I would give anyone the passwords for my phone. If it is a minor traffic stop and doesn't relate to any kind of perceived cellphone use whilst driving (illegal in the UK, not sure about the USA) then they can Foxtrot Oscar.

shief24

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
I've been searched (including my car) while driving without a warrant or a reason before. Police also read messages from my cousins iPhone due to the notification lock screen messages. I don't think the cops should have the right to search your car, home or cell phone, without a warrant or reasonable cause but you know what if they really want to they will do it anyways.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

There is no way on this green earth I would give anyone the passwords for my phone. If it is a minor traffic stop and doesn't relate to any kind of perceived cellphone use whilst driving (illegal in the UK, not sure about the USA) then they can Foxtrot Oscar.

Well here in PA they just passed a law so that police do not need probably cause to search your vehicle. Now there is no way I would ever give out my password for my phone for a "search" I feel like it is becoming more for police to try and "find" something wrong, rather than just doing their jobs. Now I have nothing to hide and would gladly let them search my car if I was pulled over. But searching a phone, unless there was an accident or some other type of event seems to be over stepping the boundaries.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I've been searched (including my car) while driving without a warrant or a reason before. Police also read messages from my cousins iPhone due to the notification lock screen messages. I don't think the cops should have the right to search your car, home or cell phone, without a warrant or reasonable cause but you know what if they really want to they will do it anyways.

That sucks!! I hate you had to go through that

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

There are a lot of states in the USA that prohibit driving while talking on a cell phone. Arkansas recently passed a hands free law but I was talking to a cop last night while driving and a state trooper got behind me and followed me the whole way home but didn't do anything. I usually use my earphones that came with my phone when I'm driving but I forgot them at home yesterday.

As for the cops searching my phone, I don't care. I have nothing to hide. Search my car. Search my phone. I don't care.

If they're trying to prove texting while driving, I don't text and drive for obvious reasons.

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
It seriously has nothing to do with what you do not have to hide or not but your right to privacy. Your cell phone contains important and sensitive information and is part of you and should be protected under the law as such as much as any other property. A warrant is a must if a cell phone is to be seized and ordered searched.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Yeah I understand why some would care I was just saying I wouldn't. Lol

theKHMERboy

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Well I never heard of this happening in canada (Toronto) but supposedly I heard a police can ask to check your phone at anytime if they feel that they need to, which I disagree with because for most people a persons phone is their privacy and police shouldn't have that right to invade people's privacy specially if it's for no reason

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

Elizabeth2

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
*UPDATE

'In an unanimous decision, the Court ruled against the Obama administration ' NBC NEWS

The decision came on Wednesday June 25th that the US Supreme Court has ruled that police will need a search warrant to search your cellphone.

Great news that our right to privacy had been upheld!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
*UPDATE

'In an unanimous decision, the Court ruled against the Obama administration ' NBC NEWS

The decision came on Wednesday June 25th that the US Supreme Court has ruled that police will need a search warrant to search your cellphone.

Good new indeed...:)

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
*UPDATE

Great news!

Elizabeth2

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
With the technological advancement of cellphone they are no longer just used in making and receiving phone calls and text messages. They have the capacity to hold enormous amounts of data that you as a cellphone owner have taken responsible steps either required by your employer or by yourself to password protect.

To give your password unwillingly against your better judgement is a violation of your right to privacy.

The ruling today puts a cellphone and it's contents under the protection of the 4th amendment protection against unlawful search and seizure.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Can't wait to wave my smartphone is an officers face and say Crunch you can't see it la la la

Disclaimer- this is when I get tazed

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
With the technological advancement of cellphone they are no longer just used in making and receiving phone calls and text messages. They have the capacity to hold enormous amounts of data that you as a cellphone owner have taken responsible steps either required by your employer or by yourself to password protect.

To give your password unwillingly against your better judgement is a violation of your right to privacy.

The ruling today puts a cellphone and it's contents under the protection of the 4th amendment protection against unlawful search and seizure.

'nuf said...:)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR