Will Apple be "forced" to include a file system with its i-Devices in the near future?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
As the title states, will Apple, at some point in the near future, be forced or will have to seriously consider including a file system on it's i-devices, specifically, the iPad?

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
No. Too much issues arise when someone has access to their file system and they have no clue what they're are doing.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I have to admit to loathing cloud based storage systems with a passion. I only use Dropbox because I got 50Gb free when I bought my Samsung phone and even then I really don't use it that much.

I would much rather a device-based storage solution with a file structure that was accessible to the user so that I could upload/download whatever I want to my device. I wouldn't even mind if the structure took the form of a number of set folders, such as music, files, pictures, videos etc, as long as I could choose what to put on and take off the device whenever I wanted.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
True, but most companies are pushing cloud based now..... I would bet in the next 3-5 years nothing will be local on mobile devices..

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
We all know Apple - Is Apple ever forced to do anything? They will do it or not but never be forced to, Only if it is in their benefit.

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I have to admit to loathing cloud based storage systems with a passion. I only use Dropbox because I got 50Gb free when I bought my Samsung phone and even then I really don't use it that much.

I would much rather a device-based storage solution with a file structure that was accessible to the user so that I could upload/download whatever I want to my device. I wouldn't even mind if the structure took the form of a number of set folders, such as music, files, pictures, videos etc, as long as I could choose what to put on and take off the device whenever I wanted.
Same here. I use Box because I got the app free during the holidays and it came with 50 gb of storage. I do wish there was a better way.

Sent from from my iPhone 5

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
True, but most companies are pushing cloud based now..... I would bet in the next 3-5 years nothing will be local on mobile devices..

This is not something I look forward to at all

I like cloud services for backup but I prefer to keep my files locally

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
^^^^^^^^^^^^
No, and This ....
What baffles me was Apple's decision to 86 iDisk just as DropBox and all the other Cloud based storage systems including their own iCloud came to maturity. W*T*F Apple? ... SMH.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I don't need one.

What files are everyone trying to manage on their phone? There even any files on mine to manage. I don't even want any files on there that I would have to manage...

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I don't need one.

What files are everyone trying to manage on their phone? There even any files on mine to manage. I don't even want any files on there that I would have to manage...

I'm not saying it's needed but I would use it if one was available

I'm the kind of guy that runs his PC thru the windows explorer not the desktop

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
Guess I got confused about "file system" and assumed you were referring to root access. :rolleyes: Everything is moving to the cloud nowadays

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Guess I got confused about "file system" and assumed you were referring to root access. :rolleyes: Everything is moving to the cloud nowadays
I understand. There are a lot of people who would like to be able to save and manipulate files directly on the device like you can on a computer or non-Apple device.

bobbob1016

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I would say no, as I don't think it's needed. I do think they should further the "Share" thing though. And allow me to chose where to save Pages/Keynote/Numbers files, as in my device or not. And also allow me to airdrop files between apps and desktop, but let them manage where they save them.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I hope they do something because no OS file storage is one thing I would really really like.

Even if it is cloud based as long as it's universal to the OS it would be good
Or even a folder system to store files with out access to ios files would be good also
As long as you can access it anywhere in the OS to be able to attach files to emails etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro