Former Apple exec says iPad sales won?t grow unless device gets more ?Pro? features

Kashan Osama

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
"Multiple analyst estimates predict that Apple will see a year-over-year fall in iPad sales in Q2 2014, with the decline ranging anywhere from 23% to 0.7%. So what?s the reason for this fall in sales? Former Apple exec Jean-Louis Gass?e thinks that the simplicity of the iPad, and its lack of Pro features is restricting the iPad?s growth.

Gass?e says that the iPad?s simplicity was a welcome change when it was introduced, and appealed to people who were not familiar with traditional computers, buts its limitations like the lack of filesystem access, side-by-side multitasking etc. has prevented it from being used for ?real productivity tasks?. He argues that the fall in sales is a direct cause of people realising that the iPad isn?t ready to replace their PCs and laptops.From Gass?e?s blog:
The iPad is a computer, it has a file system, directories, and the like ? why hide these ?details? from users? Why prevent us from hunting around for the bits and bobs we need to assemble a brochure or a trip itinerary?None of this is news to Apple execs, but they also know that success doesn?t depend on What, on a simple feature list. The next step in iPad growth will depend on How new features are integrated into the user experience. It?s a tricky game of the Best of Both Worlds?and it tripped up Microsoft.​
Apple?s competitors are using these weak spots to their advantage in advertising campaigns and sales pitches, and as users become more familiar with technology, they?ll increasingly start hitting roadblocks while doing tasks on the iPad. Gass?e highlights plenty of basic, common tasks that are much easier to perform on a Mac than on an iPad. These tasks include making a travel itinerary or writing a blog post involving data from multiple sources.While trying to work on the iPad, I also have experienced these frustrations, where apps aren?t able to talk to each other, or share data. The ?Open In? menu that does allow sharing of files ends up creating multiple copies of the file in each app?s own sandboxed folder, leading to a further mess.Do you agree with Gass?e?s reasoning that the iPad is too limited, and that to grow further, Apple has to add advanced features to the device?

Courtesy: iPhoneHacks

Original Link: iPad sales won't grow unless device gets more "pro" features

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Former Apple exec says iPad sales won?t grow unless device gets more ?Pro? fe...

So unless Apple turns the iPad into a tablet like the Microsoft Surface, iPads won't sell anymore?

Sent from my iPhone 5S or Jailbroken 5th gen iPod Touch using Tapatalk

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Re: Former Apple exec says iPad sales won?t grow unless device gets more ?Pro? fe...

But the iPad is selling a lot as it is... Its not like its failing or anything.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: Former Apple exec says iPad sales won?t grow unless device gets more ?Pro? fe...

So unless Apple turns the iPad into a tablet like the Microsoft Surface, iPads won't sell anymore?

Ok this ^ post was badly worded.
So unless Apple makes the iPad similar to the Microsoft Surface, iPad sales won't grow as much as before.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site

So unless Apple makes the iPad similar to the Microsoft Surface, iPad sales won't grow as much as before.

I'd say that with Touch ID, more people would buy it.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site

Apple's already suing Samsung, they don't want to get sued by Microsoft.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
If ios had some sort of file system that would be great but I don't see people not buying it for that reason
Sounds like the Verizon people saying I can't talk and browse the web at the same time lol

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

(laughing).....:)...Yep, that's the gist of the complaint.

anon(5719825)

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site

I watch so many TV shows and see iPads being used in then. My local news even uses iPads and iPhones on their morning and noon broadcasts and have gone paperless because of them. I just don't see how iPad sales can not continue as they are.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711