I think my smartphone OS quest is done for now

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
So, I've been on this sort of smartphone kick for the past few months. I've batted back in forth in my head between either sticking with iOS, going back to android, or using windows phone. And after using all three, I'm just going to stick with iOS for right now.

Here's the thing, android and windows phone are all great operating systems. Especially windows phone has made a gigantic leap in the last few days with 8.1.

I have been using my friends old Lumia 920 over the last few weeks. It's a good phone, if not a bit chunky. I still stand by that I think WP has the best looking interface out of the three. And I think their new notification center is actually better than apples. And cortana is pretty cool.

However, the app gap is just too much for me right now to commit to switching to them. It's not the big apps, it's the little apps. And it's the devs keeping the apps updated, which a lot of the devs aren't doing on WP for the big name apps. Spotify for example hasn't been updated in like 4 months or more.

Android, honestly, is a bit too tinker-y for my tastes. While I was happy with my nexus 4 and like my nexus 7, I did find I had to micromanage it a bit more than I'd like. As far as making sure apps weren't destroying my battery and etc.

Really, it just seems at this moment that iOS has the smallest ratio of annoyance and frustration to enjoyment of use. Seems like it's has the least compromises for me personally.

I'm still fully open to something else coming along that's better than iOS and Apple. For example, id love to give a surface a go someday. But at this moment, iOS is best for me.

I do recommend that users try out other options from time to time, because it could sometimes lead to better things or make us appreciate what we already like more.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Welcome back to iOS; but you're right, WP 8.1 was a leap and a great one. My friends own a million phones and recently upgraded to 8.1 on their WP, it's very impressive. I just can't get pass the lack of available apps and that will never change.

agarwal.apar

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Great decision buddy! I was in kind of similar situation b/w BlackBerry 10 and iOS. BlackBerry 10 is a kick-*** platform but nothing beats the simplicity and the "just work" paradigm !

Enjoy

Sent from my Darth Vader black iPhone 5 using iMore Forums

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Welcome back to iOS; but you're right, WP 8.1 was a leap and a great one. My friends own a million phones and recently upgraded to 8.1 on their WP, it's very impressive. I just can't get pass the lack of available apps and that will never change.

Apps are slowly making there way to Winphone, but the problem is that its not at a fast enough rate where they'll be able to catch up I think.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
That all being said, I may buy a nexus 5. Although I said that there's maybe too much tweaking on android, I do want some customization and openness. So I might be a flip flipper, ha ha. Oh well.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The only thing that is keeping me from switching to windows phone is app selection. With android it's the bloatware that carriers preinstall that I don't like and the UI overlay that manufactures put on it.

That all being said, I may buy a nexus 5. Although I said that there's maybe too much tweaking on android, I do want some customization and openness. So I might be a flip flipper, ha ha. Oh well.

I'm thinking of getting a nexus 5 for developing apps.

Sent from my iPhone 5S or 5th gen iPod Touch using Tapatalk

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Android, honestly, is a bit too tinker-y for my tastes.

Really, it just seems at this moment that iOS has the smallest ratio of annoyance and frustration to enjoyment of use. Seems like it's has the least compromises for me personally.

I'm going to remember these comments for the future for myself. Welcome back to iOS.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Android, honestly, is a bit too tinker-y for my tastes.

I'm going to remember these comments for the future for myself. Welcome back to iOS. I like playing with my Moto X. But my iPhone will always be number one for the same reasons as you.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Android, honestly, is a bit too tinker-y for my tastes. While I was happy with my nexus 4 and like my nexus 7, I did find I had to micromanage it a bit more than I'd like. As far as making sure apps weren't destroying my battery and etc.

My sentiments exactly! Well stated and welcome back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
So, I actually ordered a nexus 5. Honestly, as far as smartphones go, I think I might like android more. Still use and love my iPad though.

I'll give it a go for a week or so and see.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
So, I'm back and forth again with iOS.

So, once again I'm struggling deciding between iOS and android for my phone.

I think I've collected my thoughts on both, but I still simply can't decide. I have in my possession my 5S that I've had since October and my nexus 5 that I recovered on Friday and I need to decide wether to return it or not before my 14 days are up on the return window.

So, honestly I'm not sure. And I'm honestly getting tired trying to decide between the two.

With iOS, I like that I don't need to micromanage to get good battery life and that I don't really need to worry about apps draining the battery when they shouldn't be. On android, I feel like I need to be monitoring apps and battery consumption frequently to make sure I'm getting the battery I'm supposed to be getting. But maybe I'm being OCD, I don't know.

Also with iOS I like I have a idea what the phones going to do . What I mean by that is that I view iOS sort of as a appliance. It's going to do one thing I want, and chances are it'll do it without problems . The downside to this is this singular focus makes it hard to do multiple things at once or to multitask. For example, I hate that apps can't just access one another to do things like sending pictures, documents and other data.

Another thing is I just like apple as a company. I think there one of the few that actually puts painstaking thought and takes there time with things until their mature. This is a double edge sword though because it means there slow to adopt great technologies until there out for a while. Which makes it frustrating. But I don't know how good it is to just use a product because if the name on the box instead of the quality of the product.

The things I like about android is that I like the philosophy of the platform more than iOS. With android, it's all about making it the way you want. You don't really have to go along with how the maker wants their phone to look or behave if you don't like it. You can switch stuff out as you want. Such as keyboards, home screens, launchers, etc. and if your savy you can even put a entirely new ROM on it. Obviously this openness creates issues with rouge apps and process messing with your phone.

Also, like I said I like how apps can communicate with one another. It makes it a lot easier to do stuff.

Also with android you get a larger screen, but chances are this year we will get bigger iPhones. But I like a bigger screen. Also I like the hardware choice. I get to pick the right tool for the right job. With apple, I only get what they give me.

However, things I don't like about android is the micromanaging. Again, may be unnecessary, but I keep getting worried some apps gonna wreck my battery or something.

Another thing I have issue with apple though is that I feel I don't really have choices. If I don't like what there doing with their phones or OS, I don't have a choice in the matter outside of buying a android or windows phone. And this applies to all their products as well.

But the apple store support is very nice as well.

So really, there's not right answer it seems. But I gotta make a choice.

Les74

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: So, I'm back and forth again with iOS.

It must be like Sophie's Choice for you...

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums app

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711